What's new

India spanks USA over diplomat arrest issue !

Americans will never say the word 'sorry' it is not how they do things if you pay attention they always use the word regret but never formally apologise! heck I am still waiting to hear sorry from these Irish potato farmers to say apologise to the Red Indians who they massacred (even their women and children were not spared) and if you think they will say sorry to India we must be living in a dream word.

The only solution is to play the yanks at their very own dirty games but with our *** licking govt in power I very much doubt we are capable to do such things.

It was the official who filled up the DS-160 on behalf of the maid as it was filed from the computer of the official. Also how would the maid know about the official's salary to fill it up wrongly in the DS-160. And the agent who had filed the case has clearly attributing the filing of DS-160 to the official. So any mistake in the form is the official's and not the maid's.

@Juice - what I mentioned above was being confirmed by some US sources just a while ago.

Case against Devyani Khobragade on firm footing: US - The Times of India

On the allegation made by Khobargade's lawyer that the $4,500 amount written in the visa application was Khobragade's salary and not the amount promised to be paid to the domestic worker Sangeeta Richard, sources have said that Khobragade did not understand the form correctly.

"No federal agent goofed up in reading the form," sources said, rubbishing allegations made by Khobragade's lawyer Dan Arshack.

"It is clear that the salary details required on the visa application form are that of the employee and not the employer," they said.

@Juice - what I mentioned above was being confirmed by some US sources just a while ago.

Case against Devyani Khobragade on firm footing: US - The Times of India

On the allegation made by Khobargade's lawyer that the $4,500 amount written in the visa application was Khobragade's salary and not the amount promised to be paid to the domestic worker Sangeeta Richard, sources have said that Khobragade did not understand the form correctly.

"No federal agent goofed up in reading the form," sources said, rubbishing allegations made by Khobragade's lawyer Dan Arshack.

"It is clear that the salary details required on the visa application form are that of the employee and not the employer," they said.
I already knew they were trying to say that she misunderstood the form....it is others who were saying the State department couldn't read their own forms (ludicrous) or that the maid filled it out. And as I said earlier....she should have tried to fix it or at least said "my bad" when the case first developed.

And as far as the US being "arrogant"...it is the GoI that was "arrogant." They had wind of this a while back....but thought they could ignore it because daddy has connections in India. Doesn't work so well here.

She should have been recalled the minute this got big (before the arrest). But GoI thought they were above it.

Last edited:
I already knew they were trying to say that she misunderstood the form....it is others who were saying the State department couldn't read their own forms (ludicrous) or that the maid filled it out. And as I said earlier....she should have tried to fix it or at least said "my bad" when the case first developed.

As a side topic - Most of the Indian media took the words of Devyani's attorney and went bonkers save for one - The Hindu. I knew their journalists went through the details of the case as they maintained a silence and also published the case details from US DOJ site in their web site.

As a side topic - Most of the Indian media took the words of Devyani's attorney and went bonkers save for one - The Hindu. I knew their journalists went through the details of the case as they maintained a silence and also published the case details from US DOJ site in their web site.

its good to know the maids getting justice as per american laws but what about the under payed Security guard ..? bro whats ur stance on this ..?

The India-US stand-off over Devyani Khobragade has brought Indian employees at the US Embassy and diplomatic missions in India, and the human resource policies they follow, under intense scrutiny.

Employees working with American missions in India have begun speaking out against the double standards of the US, and have revealed many of them earn far less than their American counterparts do for doing the same job and working similar hours.

In fact, in the case of some semi-skilled staff, the wages are below those prescribed under India's Minimum Wages Act.

The US Diplomatic Security Service had on December 12 arrested Khobragade for allegedly underpaying her domestic help vis-à-vis American law, and misrepresenting the pay information in visa documents.

She was released on bail, but the charges against her remain.

While the starting salary for a US mission official is about $31,000 (Rs 19.2 lakh) per year plus allowances, it can go up to $151,000 (Rs 93.4 lakh) for a diplomat and $199,000 (Rs 1.23 crore) for the Ambassador, besides allowances.

The salary for the Indian Ambassador to the US, on the other hand, hovers around an approximate $8,000 (Rs 4.94 lakh).

Sample this: an employee of the US Embassy sent in his salary slip to this newspaper.

As a visa officer, the employee said he earned Rs 17,000 per month, a far cry from the Rs 1.55 lakh ($2,500) his American counterpart made exclusive of allowances and a free house.

In India, US diplomats even get a 20 per cent hardship allowance, which goes up to 25 per cent for their consulate in Kolkata.

The offer letter sent in by another employee, working as a visa clerk, showed his salary to be Rs 1,64,473 per annum - a pittance compared to that of an American equal, who would also be entitled to other allowances.

One security guard gets Rs 8,000 per month for an eight-hour daily shift, which is way below what's specified in the Act.

The US mission refrained from making any official comment, but officials claimed off the record that Indians know they have to work at lower wages as local employees.

"They are free to leave if they are not happy," a US mission source said.

Read more: Double standards? Indian employees of US missions claim they are paid 'a pittance' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Ok! let the law take its own course in both the countries.

Let US prosecute Devayani for visa fraud and under payment.

Let India prosecute the US counsels for human trafficking, tax fraud, and under payment.

This must be the natural course of action as law rules in both our countries.

Finally both the countries will offer same set of privileges for these counsels. All humans are equal.

Happy Everybody!

Read them both. The definition of "spanking" appears to be veeery different in the US and India.

The only one who used the word "spanking" was the OP, who happens to be Pakistani in this case. The only spanking I see is to the broader Indo-US relationship, the longer this stupid matter continues to retain traction in the media. The U.S. needs to move quickly on the diplomatic immunity bit (granted there are holidays) and have this person & the situation exit the scene.

Last edited:
its good to know the maids getting justice as per american laws but what about the under payed Security guard ..? bro whats ur stance on this ..?

The India-US stand-off over Devyani Khobragade has brought Indian employees at the US Embassy and diplomatic missions in India, and the human resource policies they follow, under intense scrutiny.

Employees working with American missions in India have begun speaking out against the double standards of the US, and have revealed many of them earn far less than their American counterparts do for doing the same job and working similar hours.

In fact, in the case of some semi-skilled staff, the wages are below those prescribed under India's Minimum Wages Act.

The US Diplomatic Security Service had on December 12 arrested Khobragade for allegedly underpaying her domestic help vis-à-vis American law, and misrepresenting the pay information in visa documents.

She was released on bail, but the charges against her remain.

While the starting salary for a US mission official is about $31,000 (Rs 19.2 lakh) per year plus allowances, it can go up to $151,000 (Rs 93.4 lakh) for a diplomat and $199,000 (Rs 1.23 crore) for the Ambassador, besides allowances.

The salary for the Indian Ambassador to the US, on the other hand, hovers around an approximate $8,000 (Rs 4.94 lakh).

Sample this: an employee of the US Embassy sent in his salary slip to this newspaper.

As a visa officer, the employee said he earned Rs 17,000 per month, a far cry from the Rs 1.55 lakh ($2,500) his American counterpart made exclusive of allowances and a free house.

In India, US diplomats even get a 20 per cent hardship allowance, which goes up to 25 per cent for their consulate in Kolkata.

The offer letter sent in by another employee, working as a visa clerk, showed his salary to be Rs 1,64,473 per annum - a pittance compared to that of an American equal, who would also be entitled to other allowances.

One security guard gets Rs 8,000 per month for an eight-hour daily shift, which is way below what's specified in the Act.

The US mission refrained from making any official comment, but officials claimed off the record that Indians know they have to work at lower wages as local employees.

"They are free to leave if they are not happy," a US mission source said.

Read more: Double standards? Indian employees of US missions claim they are paid 'a pittance' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Can you quote the minimum wage in India? I am taking the nos below from a different site -

A Look At Minimum Wages Around The World - Business Insider

There are two types of scenarios here -

The security Guard, if he gets Rs. 8000 per month as per what is stated and lets assume for a moment that it violates the minimum wages act(wikipedia throws out different nos and depending upon the nos, there is violation for specific nos and no violation for other nos) can file his case with the labor department of various states depending upon the embassy and let the embassy pay the compensation.

The second one is pay parity - if the visa officer feels strongly on the pay discrimination for the same position wrt US citizens, they can approach either the India courts or let him file for a class action suit with US courts(where the case will be disposed quickly and the compensation provided will be significant)

So one is a case of violation of minimum wage act of 1948 violation and the other is a case of discrimination. But both are civil cases unless the security guard claims harassment which does not seem to be the case as per the news. Let the law be applied here - not sure it is US law as the employees are hired by US embassy and work in the embassy premises which amounts to US territory or Indian law. But here is what I would say for a fact - The employees are better off filing the cases with US courts as they will be better compensated than Indian courts as multi million dollar payments are unheard of in Indian courts.

minimum-wages-around-the-world.png

Not to be insulting....but even if we gave them only a few dollars a day....doesn't that put them above like, %70 of Indian wages?

Read them both. The definition of "spanking" appears to be veeery different in the US and India.
Ask this question to your Diplomats in India... one of them had to cancel her leisure trip in the the light of latest reaction by Indian Diplomatic community.

Not to be insulting....but even if we gave them only a few dollars a day....doesn't that put them above like, %70 of Indian wages?

If you look at the state minimum wages there are some states like Haryana which has a per hour rate of RS 185 which roughly translates to $3 and Bihar which has about RS 115 which is around $2. So technically there is a violation for RS 8000 per month(taking into account 160 hours) but I am seeing a no of $600 plus per year which would mean the RS 8000 would safely be above the minimum wage. Not sure what the no is and that is why I am asking someone to post the minimum wages.

So the wage at US embassy is now compared with minimum wage of an Indian state. Wah! Let me see how low these people can bend.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom