What's new

India set to buy 42 more Russian Su-30 fighter jets

Too bad India didn't go for the SU-35 it's a better A2A fighter but i guess India's requirements is a dual seat multi role.

A bit off Topic,

But Can someone please advise if LCA is a better or at par with JF 17? I heard its turning radius is not very impressive and it takes more than 800 Meter runway to take its flight. I have just heard all this so please don't pounce on me. I just expect an honest comparision with JF 17.
Please mate, this will only force all fanboys to a statement, just wait till it is inducted and we have all of the specs available (MMR performance, which weapons, t/w ratio...). Technically both are at the same level, I guess that should be enough for now or? :)

i heard HAL achieved 100% indegeneous capability to produce flankers. Then why do we need to buy them from russia at the first place. someone explain, thanks.

To double the induction rate, while Mig 21 and Mig 27 will be phased out! Till the end of 2012 we should get 4 new squads of MKIs, half from HAL, half from Irkut that was ordered in 2007.

Sir, are you sure about this. The popular thought was always that the original number was 230. Can you please post a link regarding this, not to back your point, just for my interest.
thanks
2377c1c93266427552d6e25122353700.gif

Sukhoi-30MKI Biography, Sukhoi-30MKI Bio
Su-30MKI: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
these all states that IAF is looking to have around 280 by 2015, and if this 42 is true, it will take us beyond 300

Too bad India didn't go for the SU-35 it's a better A2A fighter but i guess India's requirements is a dual seat multi role.

Sukhoi 30 MKI... Is very much comfortoble for IAF buddy.. well Sukhoi 35 can be made dual seater aswell if needed i guess

Sancho,

Thanks mate I understand your concern and I have no intentions to destroy the thread.

Thanks

i heard HAL achieved 100% indegeneous capability to produce flankers. Then why do we need to buy them from russia at the first place. someone explain, thanks.

Buddy, HAL is building under licensed production, you have to notify Russia everytime you produce aircrafts exeeding whats in the contract, and Russia can give us in in a lot lesser time than we produce, so its faster, more over our 140 aircrafts are not yet finished...

There is upgrade program of SU30 either underway or in cards.

A bit off Topic,

But Can someone please advise if LCA is a better or at par with JF 17? I heard its turning radius is not very impressive and it takes more than 800 Meter runway to take its flight. I have just heard all this so please don't pounce on me. I just expect an honest comparision with JF 17.

Well i dont have an answer to that, but i want to comment something on the same topic. The rumors that the order of MMRCA would be increased, plus oredring more MKIs, is giving me a bad feeling that the IAF lacks trust in LCA for now. I really hope that its not the case.
ps- guys please don't get all pissed of about my post. I am not at all critical of Tejas, but its just a thought that came to mind.

Before commenting on your figures let me tell you, all we are doing here are bringing out our own imagination mixed with a little bit of facts.
So was I, just quoted you to get ur opinon and the one you quoted at once. So don't take it as a offence!

MMRCA is not yet clear, whether it will go to one vendor or two different vendors. Who knows to speed up procurement IAF may go for 2 vendors 100 each. IAF has experience in handling mirage. So it may very well be Rafale and F-18. But these are all speculation going around.
No, MoD officially stated that the full deal will go only to a single vendor! Search the MMRCA thread, I posted a source some times.

I was not taking about FGFA. I was taking about PAK-FA. Do not forget IAF will be getting 50 PAK-FA and 200 FGFA. So PAK-FA will start coming by 2016 and FGFA 2018 (as per reports).
For Russia, but as far as the actual stage of development is, these will not have the NG AL 41 engine, but "only" the S117, wonder if IAF would go for this version, if at all. I still have some doubts about that, because it would make the whole doctrine with main fighter must be twin seat config useless right? As long as no contract is signed, or an official MoD member announce this, I will remain sceptical about Pak Fa.

Let’s not jump our gun on LCA-MK2. We know IAF is getting 40 LCA. As I said in my previous post the final number for LCA will depends upon its performance.
We also know that the engine deal for MK2 is for 100+50 optional, so I only take these 190 as possible for IAF, till other reliable sources say something else, but of course it will also remain on HAL and the production rate.

MKI and mig27 are all together in different class. I am not sure about the number of mig27 we have by 2020. 10 years too long a period. As far as I know all the mig23 are phased out of IAF. If you can provide me any source that it is now used as a trainer for mig27, I will be more than happy.
Different class yes, but they use the same weapons and are even more capable in the strike role than the Migs. MKI also replaced all Mig 23 squads as far as I know.

MiG-23UM [Flogger]

The MiG-23UMs , the two seater variants of the Ground Attack and Interceptor units will have a continued innings, thanks to their role as type-trainers with the MiG-27 Units.

MiG-23UM [Flogger] [www.bharat-rakshak.com]

MiG-27 UPG 16 + 2 UMs(23)
MiG-27 ML 16 + 2 UMs(23)

Indian Air Force :: Aircraft Fleet Strength

Wrong again. LCA is supposed to replace mig21 and BISONs not MRCA.
Planed yes, but delays in its development causes MRCA and later MMRCA. The interceptor role will most likely go to LCA of course, but the replacement in numbers, will be Bisons => MMRCA.

Well i dont have an answer to that, but i want to comment something on the same topic. The rumors that the order of MMRCA would be increased, plus oredring more MKIs, is giving me a bad feeling that the IAF lacks trust in LCA for now. I really hope that its not the case.
ps- guys please don't get all pissed of about my post. I am not at all critical of Tejas, but its just a thought that came to mind.

LCA tejas is a platform for us to Understand the core aircraft technology, LCA is never going to be the Backbone of IAF... IAF will not order more than 100 of LCA.... But The next step of ours Like LCA mark 2 and MCA will surely be the backbone of IAF

Sukhoi-30MKI Biography, Sukhoi-30MKI Bio
Su-30MKI: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
these all states that IAF is looking to have around 280 by 2015, and if this 42 is true, it will take us beyond 300

As was pointed out before, the 280 being quoted by many sources was taking into account the desire for IAF to order 50 additional platforms. That order hasn't materialized yet. It would now seem that it has been reduced from 280 to 270 (42 instead of 50). This planned aquisition has been on the cards for a long time now.

The total number would be 270 if this deal gets through. HAL has had a low production rate and the price of HAL flankers has been found to be higher than the ones imported. Thus, there are quite a few reasons for direct purchase

3 billion for 42 of these jets.
db8a2ed543dc92a91ef1339762b0ca74.jpg

If india is ready to shed out 70 miilion on a single su30, (even if it includes weapons)
whats hampering to purchase Rafale at 120 million.
Also makes me worry FGFA/PAK-FA will come at 100+ price tag

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom