What's new

India raising Arunachal and Sikkim Scouts for China border

Communist

Reaction score
TNN, May 18, 2010, 01.56am IST

NEW DELHI: Already in the process of raising two new mountain infantry divisions for Arunachal Pradesh, the Army is now also moving ahead with its long-standing plan to raise "home and hearth'' battalions for the unresolved border with China.

The Army commanders' conference, chaired by General V K Singh, on Monday discussed raising of battalions of "Arunachal and Sikkim Scouts'' on the lines of the Ladakh Scouts, which played a stellar role in dislodging Pakistani ****** during the 1999 Kargil conflict.

The proposal for the new Arunachal and Sikkim Scouts' battalions, which could have 5,000 soldiers each, will soon be sent for final approval to the government. "Like the experience with the Ladakh Scouts has shown, people hailing from high-altitude areas are better adapted for being deployed at such heights,'' said a senior officer.

"They are hardy, know the terrain and acclimatise better. Moreover, they can help other Army units in understanding the local language, culture and area better,'' he added.

This comes even as the two new infantry mountain divisions, with 1,260 officers and 35,011 soldiers, approved by the Cabinet Committee on Security in June 2009, are expected to be fully operational by 2012.

The two divisions form part of the several measures being taken, like the basing of Sukhoi-30MKI fighter jets in the North-East as well as upgrading of airfields and helipads, to counter the massive build-up of military infrastructure by China all along the 4,057-km Line of Actual Control.

Incidentally, the Ladakh Scouts were raised in June 1963, after the debacle in the 1962 war with China, with just eight companies. It gained the status of a full-fledged infantry regiment after it became one of the first units to take part in the Kargil conflict with Pakistan.

Army plans to raise Arunachal and Sikkim Scouts for China border - India - The Times of India

Nuclear-capable Agni-II missile test-fired successfully by India
PTI, May 17, 2010, 09.58am IST

BALASORE (Orissa): Nuclear-capable Agni-II missile, with a range of 2000 km, was on Monday successfully test-fired by the Army as part of user trial from the Wheelers Island off Orissa coast.

The trial was conducted from a rail mobile system in Launch Complex-4 of Integrated Test Range (ITR) at around 9.15 am, defence sources said soon after the versatile surface-to-surface missile blasted off.

Data relating to various parameters of the mission's objectives was being analysed, the sources said.

Agni-II Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) has already been inducted into the services and Monday's test was carried out by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) of the Army with logistic support from various laboratories and personnel of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

A DRDO scientist said it was a training exercise to familiarize the end-users with different operational conditions.

The entire trajectory of the trial was tracked by a battery of sophisticated radars, telemetry observation stations, electro-optic instruments and a naval ship located near the impact point in the down range of Bay of Bengal.

The 20-metre long Agni-II is a two stage, solid-propelled ballistic missile. It has a launch weight of 17 tonnes and can carry a payload of 1000 kg over a distance of 2000 km.

Agni-II was developed by Advanced Systems Laboratory along with other DRDO laboratories and integrated by the Bharat Dynamics Limited, Hyderabad, the sources said.

The missile is part of the Agni series which includes Agni-I with a 700 km range and Agni-III with a 3,500 km range, they said, adding that Agni-I has already been inducted and Agni-III is in the process of induction.

The first trial of Agni-II was carried out on April 11, 1999. Though some of the subsequent trials were successful, the user trial conducted on May 19, 2009 and the first night trial on November 23, 2009 from Wheelers Island could not meet all the parameters, they added.

Nuclear-capable Agni-II missile test-fired successfully - India - The Times of India

Because Nepalis know how dangerous the hindus of bharat are. Here in Kathmandu, Nepalis are praying for the downfall of them.

then WTF are u doing sitting in my country...?:angry:

Because Nepalis know how dangerous the hindus of bharat are. Here in Kathmandu, Nepalis are praying for the downfall of them.

nepal is the only country having the higest hindu population percentage in the world so stop posing as one

:mps:

Arey even the Chinese are not worried...Why u Nepali scared soo much..? :lol::lol:

his job is to create fights between indian and chinese members. He is doing it since a long time. Better ignore the nepali maoist.

his job is to create fights between indian and chinese members. He is doing it since a long time. Better ignore the nepali maoist.

I don't even trust him being Nepali. :pop:

Boy, what a whole bunch of banana idiots, guessing something out of nothing, "New to the Internet" ? :azn:

If referring to me?

let me explain you in simple way:

Compare the # of posts by you and I. Now who is new to the Internet? :azn:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom