What's new

India orders almost $11 billion of arms and military equipment from Russia

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
Russia remains the main supplier of arms and military equipment to India. Vyacheslav Dzirkan, assistant director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation has been quoted as saying that India has placed orders for $10.8 billion of Russian-made armaments and defence equipment. He told a joint press briefing of the Russian delegation to Defexpo India 2012 in New Delhi that, back in 2010, contracts with India totalled $6.5 billion and, in 2011, an additional $1.8 billion worth of contracts were signed.

For his part, Deputy General Director of Rosoboronexport Viktor Komardin noted the increase in annual supplies of Russian weapons and military equipment to the Indian market. In his words, India accounts for between 22% and 38% of Russia’s overall arms exports.

“Given India’s demand for armaments and our production capabilities, Russia is able to supply up to $3 billion worth of military products to India annually under current agreements,” Komardin said. He went on to say that competition in the Indian market for armaments is growing tougher, as new players are beginning to appear. But he remains confident that Russian exporters have nothing to be worried about.

“The thing is that India’s economy is on the rise; the country is not lacking in money, and its military capability is being built up at a very high rate. This is why their arms demand is growing faster than our export possibilities,” Komardin said. It is unlikely, however, that India will rely on Russia for supplies of surface ships and submarines. “India is developing its own shipbuilding industry and transferring the production of ships for its Navy to domestic shipyards,” he added.

A similar situation can be observed in other areas of the Indian arms market. This is why military and technical cooperation between Russia and India is being shifted towards the implementation of joint projects, the development of cooperation ties, and the supply of equipment packages, units and systems.

At present, Russian defence companies are involved in a number of major tenders for the supply of arms to the Indian Army. “We participate in some tenders for the Indian Army, specifically the one for the modernization of T-72 tanks. This is pretty much four tenders in one, because four assemblies need to be modernized,” Komardin said. Furthermore, Russian producers have entered tenders for Igla air defence systems, munitions for Smerch heavy multiple rocket launchers and supplies of antitank weapons. Russia also offers its long- and medium-range air defence missile systems for field air defence, specifically the Antey-2500 anti-ballistic missile system and Pantsir-S1 anti-aircraft artillery weapon system.

There are currently ten active contracts for the supply of arms to the Indian military, all of which are connected with the licensed production of armaments and military equipment in India, Èíòåðôàêñ reports.

India orders almost $11 billion of arms and military equipment from Russia | Russia & India Report

Russian hardware is better than chinese but can't compete with US and European stuff.

I'd say scrap Russia completely as an arms supplier (except for deals like PAF-FA/FGFA/MKI of course) as they have proved time and time again they will exploit their positions to extort more and more money out of India and then leave her high and dry after delivery has taken place. India has the ash now it can afford the best, most reliable partners- The West.

ruskies need to improve the time schedule and delivery rate.

Ruski is a derogatory slur for Russians.

I'd say scrap Russia completely as an arms supplier (except for deals like PAF-FA/FGFA/MKI of course) as they have proved time and time again they will exploit their positions to extort more and more money out of India and then leave her high and dry after delivery has taken place. India has the ash now it can afford the best, most reliable partners- The West.

But America isn't providing TOT, we can't entirely depend on France either.

Cool that we are improving our MANPAD arsenal with the Igla contract.
WTF has russia doin with the t-72 upgrade? I thought DRDO is doin the ajeya upgrade.

We really need to upgrade our air defence systems with Iron dome and David's sling, also the S-400 from Russia would be a good platform to consider alongside our domestic efforts with BMD.

You want to see how reliable the west is - just look at Pakistan.

I disagree, I prefer their cost-increases over US sanctions, operational restrictions, limited ToT and industrial advantages any time!
We tend to look at the downsides of Russian procurement only, but overlook the huge benefits we have because of them. Same goes for European arms and techs, that often are expensive, but comes with huge additional advantages as well. So if we can afford it, we should get more Russian and European stuff, but with better contracts, instead of celebrating that we get a C130J in time although we are nothing else than a simple buyer here!

apart from the military perspective, buying arms from Russia makes strategic sense as well.

Russia is a very reliable and not-vulnerable-to-sanctions supplier.

Just like France.

:rofl::rofl: Will you give arms for free. :cheesy:

You want to see how reliable the west is - just look at Pakistan.

I meant timely/reliable inductions. i honestly can't think of a Russian arms deal with India in the last 15 years that has been completed on budget or on time. It is an utter joke how used to these delays we have got that now we don't even raise an eyelid when they are announced. Thankfully, mostly due to Russia's own incompetence the Indian forces are looking elsewhere now- IAF have been very,very impressed with C-130 induction early and under-budget.

Back
Top Bottom