What's new

India monkey god idol for Obama

Nafees

Reaction score
source: BBC NEWS | South Asia | India monkey god idol for Obama

A group of Indians are planning to present a statue of the revered Indian monkey God, Hanuman, to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The group decided to order the idol after they read a magazine report saying that Mr Obama carried a good luck 'monkey king' charm.

They say that a Barack Obama victory would be good for India.

Hindus revere monkeys which they believe are descendents of the monkey God Hanuman.

The two-foot tall, 15kg gold-polished, brass idol has been made as a present for Mr Obama because "he will be good for India if he becomes the next president," according to Brij Mohan Bhama, leader of the group.

Mr Bhama belongs to the ruling Congress party and also runs a textile mill in the western city of Mumbai.

'Monkey charm'

"We have heard that he carries a small monkey charm in his pocket. So he is a devotee of Hanuman. That's why we want to present him with this idol," he said.

Mr Bhama and his friends have also invited Carolyn Sauvage-Mar, chairwoman of the group, Democrats Abroad-India, to a meeting they are holding on Tuesday to pray for Mr Obama's success.

The Delhi-based group registers voters, sponsors events and occasionally hosts Democratic Party leaders visiting India.

Obama stands for change. We are hoping that he will bring about change so that oil and food prices come down

Brij Mohan Bhama

Mr Bhama is hoping that Ms Sauvage-Mar will pick up the idol and arrange it to be delivered to Mr Obama.

"They have invited me for the prayer. I am happy to go to bring best wishes to Obama," she said.

She said she would talk with the organisers and find out whether she would be able to help in shipping the idol to Mr Obama.

Ms Sauvage-Mar said the people organising the prayer meeting for the presidential candidate had possibly read a Time magazine article which mentioned that Mr Obama carried a "monkey king good luck charm".

"Senator Obama has a good luck charm. We don't know whether it is of Hanuman. But the people here think it is Hanuman," she said.

Mr Bhama says he is an ardent supporter of Mr Obama - even his email identification is bhamaforobama.

"Obama stands for change. We are hoping that he will bring about change so that oil and food prices come down," he said.

"India will progress if he comes to power."

Amongst the things that Barack Obama carries for good luck are a bracelet belonging to a soldier deployed in Iraq, a gambler’s lucky chit, a tiny monkey god and a tiny Madonna and child.

they can. a lot of people might take it as a serious racist remark. but the fact that obama accepted it, and that he did not take it in a racist sense, would be sufficient to address any accusation of racism.

and personally, i think generalising obama's liking for hanuman with liking for india is not correct. india and hanuman are totally different things. so to say obama will be good for india might not be correct.

i beleive obama will be good for the world as a whole, coz i think he can bring oil prices down, and also, he is not a warmonger like the republicans. if he can stabilise the american economy, it will be good for the whole world.

Thats why I was wondering how come Obama looks like a monkey to me.

His middle name is Hussein!

He looks like a monkey? Really? Some may feels some others look like monkeys too!

Jane Goodall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amongst the things that Barack Obama carries for good luck are a bracelet belonging to a soldier deployed in Iraq, a gambler’s lucky chit, a tiny monkey god and a tiny Madonna and child.

Its a monkey with 4 arms and I doubt its got anything to do with India or its God. Some people will go a long way to get self publicity like Mr Brij.

Maybe Obama admires the World Wild Life Foundation or Jane Goodall.

Regards

Its a monkey with 4 arms and I doubt its got anything to do with India or its God. Some people will go a long way to get self publicity like Mr Brij.

Maybe Obama admires the World Wild Life Foundation or Jane Goodall.

Regards
Yeah the first thing I thought was, this organization is so sucking up to a possible president.

Although its suprising to see this facination with good luck charms. If it was just one, it could be taken lightly, but do you want freakyishly superstitious man as the US President?

Those are just way too many IMO.

Its god Hanuman made obama to win the elections
God Hanuman (Monkey god) believed to take the repsonsibily of creating lifes on earth during next phase. He represents breath in our body.

Hmmm...with an ISI trained monkeys being held captive in india and another monkey statue being presented to Obama shows that ISI is also involved here...

Love you ISI..

As far as the Obama = Monkey debate is concerned Bush bore more resemblance with this funny creature but Mr Obama is also not a BAD candidate for the competition.

As far as "Hussain" is concerned...hmmm lemme see...did somebody had a problem with that at PDF..???????

Back
Top Bottom