What's new

India May Add Japanese Soryu-Class Submarines to its Fleet

Aarush

Reaction score
Country
India
japanese-submarines-council-42020.jpg

Japanese Submarines: The Council of the City of Sydney

India is reportedly considering a project to incorporate six Japanese Soryu-class diesel-electric submarines into its fleet, says The Japan Times.

The Defense Minister of India Manohar Parrikar has expressed his readiness to consider acquiring Soryu-class diesel-electric submarines used by the Maritime Self-Defense Force.

The reports in Indian media say it is not a purchasing plan. The proposal was sent asking the Japanese Government to 'consider the possibility' of building the six stealth submarines in India.

This is what Parrikar said: “We are very much interested in Japan’s technologies.” But it is not clear if India would want to buy.

"In keeping with their expanding strategic partnership, the Modi government has asked the Shinzo Abe administration whether it would be interested in the over Rs 50,000 crore [$8.1 billion] project to build six stealth submarines in India," the Times of India reported.

On the contrary, in a move that will certainly generate a strong reaction from China, Tokyo recently announced that talks with India are under way for the sale of six Soryu-class submarines.

The issue may be taken up at Parrikar's forthcoming meeting with Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani. “Everything is on agenda. We can discuss that issue,” he said.

The Indian Navy has a fleet of 15 submarines, but more than half are not equipped to respond quickly to contingencies due to aging.

In view of the growing activity of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean, the Indian government has put a high priority on arms buildup in order to strengthen maritime security.

India is also in advanced negotiations with Japan to acquire 12 ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious search-and-rescue aircraft for around USD1.65 billion, a deal that is likely to be concluded in early 2016.

India May Add Japanese Soryu-Class Submarines to

India interested in buying Japan's Soryu-class submarines | The Japan Times

Some one please tell me it's true :D

Tokyo recently announced that talks with India are under way for the sale of six Soryu-class submarines.

P75I is supposed to have three different supply lines in three different ship yards . If true nothing better can happen to our Submarine building capabilities than this Ninja silent Killer Beast SORYU .

Please Mr.MP DM clinch this deal . This national will sing u r name for the next 100 years. And increase the number to 10 or more .

Our P75I construction planned (rumours) 1+1+4 . Private+ private + Public sector . So easily 3 each can be ordered as follow on.

Well ... May be we will have 12 P75I to boost our Security in IOR and safeguard our assets in SCS and Have better integrated Naval conflict operation along with JAPAN AUSTRALIA INDIA. ...

Now big 3 enemies will have world's most powerful SSK !!!! Finger crossed it must be true . And 1+1+4 will be a good idea too.

great, Russian Kilo, French Scorpene, German HDW and now Japanese Soryu, nice cocktail:D

Well the Kilos and U209s are in their final 3rd of their service life, with 4 Kilos and 2 U209 set to be replaced by Scorpenes, and remaining fleet will be replaced by P75I whenever they enter service.

It makes me wonder as to what was the UPA doing in the past 10 years, Barring the P8I Neptune, every major naval induction that has happened, was contracted during the previous NDA regime.

We have just asked them if they will be interested. nothing much

105979-8af897ae-be2e-11e3-ab5c-db8d2f3f624e.jpg

Indian Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar has expressed his readiness to consider acquiring Soryu-class diesel-electric submarines used by the Maritime Self-Defense Force.

“We are very much interested in Japan’s technologies,” Parrikar said in an exclusive interview ahead of his visit to Japan from Monday.

The issue may be taken up at his meeting with Defense Minister Gen Nakatani the same day, according to Parrikar. “Everything is on agenda. We can discuss that issue,” he said Saturday.

India’s navy has a fleet of 15 submarines, but more than half are not equipped to respond quickly to contingencies due to aging. In view of the growing activity of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean, New Delhi has put a high priority on arms buildup to strengthen maritime security.

Japan’s Soryu-class submarines are seen as among the most advanced nonnuclear attack submarines in the world.

Parrikar noted that Japan had strict regulations on the export of defense technologies but that the rules are changing. “We are looking at all kinds of defense cooperation with Japan in all fields,” he said, signaling intention to acquire Soryu-class submarines if the amended conditions are met.

Australia is also in talks with Japan on buying Soryu-class submarines.

In the interview, Parrikar suggested that India is not likely to make a decision anytime soon on whether to purchase US-2 amphibious rescue aircraft used by the MSDF. Tokyo and New Delhi are holding talks on the export of US-2 aircraft to India and a possible joint venture to produce them on Indian soil.

“It will not be decided in Tokyo,” Parrikar said. “I have directed the (Indian) Navy and Coast Guard to come up with a clear-cut report on their operational necessities. First we need to define details.

“Without that report, we cannot go forward,” he said.

Soryu class is a beast!!! I think it will be best for us. Armed with Brahmos-H they will be a kill. But MoD should be fast, our submarine fleet is depleting.

I told earlier... Soryus are beasts.... India should seriously consider inducting under P75i... it's almost the same cost as scorpene maybe 50-70 mil more.. more stealthier than Scorpene... we can add DRDO's APIs on it

Hi
Personally speaking I feel the Soryu is a bit over rated. And it's not worth it's money(we will be buying TOT and etc so it will be 800 million $s per sub).
1.It's AIP is swedish Sterling, and now with the coming of Hydrogen based fuel cells which are over 30% efficient providing more range and speed. I stand to be corrected.
2.Installing VLS for Brahmos will further increase its cost.
3.Australian experts said that if they go for Soryu , it will be needed to be modified for a larger range,now if a submarine as big as Soryu has to be modified for range then it would again be costly.
4.Due to its high cost , our follow on orders will be affected, also our funding for SSNs.
5.We will not have access to some technologies which the US has helped them to develop.
6.Too costly but still no flanked array towed sonar. Correct me if wrong.

It's anawesome machine but too much tailore made for Japan. If we are paying close to 1 billion $ for one submarine, then wouldn't it be wise to spend a little more and go for Yansen class of Russian Navy, I am not suggesting to buy directly but TOT under the table.

For this project I feel we should approach like mki of airforce. We should go for Amur 1650 and get the Electronics and Radars of Type 214. The sonar in Amur already awesome.

I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Cheers
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom