What's new

India looking to hire in Detroit

Trisonics

BANNED
Reaction score
Watch Video Here:
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

India looking to hire in Detroit

A company with roots in India is planning to nearly double its presence in Michigan.

Tata Technologies - part of the Mumbai-based Tata Group – is looking to fill 400 job openings primarily for its North American headquarters in Michigan. The company organized a job fair in Southfield, Michigan, just outside Detroit, to attract potential auto engineers, designers and product lifecycle managers.

Tata routinely works with the Unites States' largest auto manufacturers; one of its biggest partnerships is with Chrysler. The employees they are looking to hire will end up putting a lot of their skills to work within some of Tata's customers - which also include Ford and General Motors.

Tata Group gained worldwide attention in 2008 when it purchased the high-class Jaguar and Land Rover brands from Ford Motor Corp. The next year, it unveiled its supercheap Nano minicar, which the company hopes to offer globally.

News that the company is hiring in the Detroit area was particularly good for John Kloian of Milford.

"I’ve worked for Chrysler, General Motors, and the last 20 years with Ford Motor, but (since) the last salaried reduction, I've been out of work," he said.

That was in January 2009.

Tata currently employs only 550 people in North America. Candidates at this week's job fair in Southfield are being pre-qualified on the spot and will go through two rounds of interviews with company recruiters. A testing room is even set up so candidates can show their proficiency in computer-aided design.

Adding 400 jobs represents "a significant jump" for Michigan, according to John Howaniec, president of Tata's PLM Solutions Division. The state's unemployment rate is near 13 percent, compared with the national average of about 9 percent.

"It really represents a turning point, we believe, in the manufacturing industry here in Michigan," he said.

INCAT

I visited Detroit for the same last two winters :D

Last edited:
Yes, this is a nice move, hiring American nationals for jobs in America should be a good option, bringing in people from India to sit in American offices doesn't look good.

Very good move by tata, US has the skills to design cars and with unemployment high, we can hire some of these and make them design Indian cars. They get job, we get good experienced engineers.

Very good move by tata, US has the skills to design cars and with unemployment high, we can hire some of these and make them design Indian cars. They get job, we get good experienced engineers.

Already we have

Yes, this is a nice move, hiring American nationals for jobs in America should be a good option, bringing in people from India to sit in American offices doesn't look good.

Then what are you doing there?
P.S-I hate Indian ____________ (Americans,Britisher,Canadian,Australian)
etc.

Then what are you doing there?
P.S-I hate Indian ____________ (Americans,Britisher,Canadian,Australian)
etc.

no need to generalize all of us bro. I've seen arrogant desis living in the US, be it Indians, Sri lankans, Bangladeshis or pakistanis. I am and always will be a proud Indian. :cheers:

@eric_cartman that was kind of an awkward wording of words , mind elaborating what you meant by saying that?

no need to generalize all of us bro. I've seen arrogant desis living in the US, be it Indians, Sri lankans, Bangladeshis or pakistanis. I am and always will be a proud Indian. :cheers:

@eric_cartman that was kind of an awkward wording of words , mind elaborating what you meant by saying that?

I am not at all against outsourcing, I want to see my countrymen getting better way of life, but I want outsourced worked should be done in Indian premises and not in American offices. It's human mindset when they see their ex coworker seat filled by a consultant brought from India. It causes uproar and this is why we see associations such as Programmers Guild and so much against H1 visa that companies are hesitate to hire Masters or PhDs students also since company's name would be highlighted on how many visa they sponsored (this is the fact)

It's ok for Masters or PhD students (International) to work in American offices since companies hire them since hardly those positions can be filled by typical Americans.

I know what I have written smells of double standards but ...

Back
Top Bottom