What's new

India launches Aakash tablet computer priced at $35!

Internet too will slow down on a flash site.
Processor needs to be at least 600 Mhz..

Flash is not efficient on android, lags even with 1 ghz processors. Besides, these tablets are meant to fulfill a very specific purpose which they do.

@ others: This version of the Tablet may never enter the commercial market. It's an educational project and it will be provided only to higher education students. They have developed software and study material specifically for these students.
10 million pieces are ordered for students which are completely subsidized by the government, and they are hoping to eventually bring the cost down to 10$ (no kidding) while partnering with different Governments to improve the device and spread its benefits to other countries in need (the minister personally quoted Pakistan and Sri Lanka).

Edited: Apparently it will be commercially available from November @ INR 3000. I hope they can improve the processor in the commercial version.

Flash is not efficient on android, lags even with 1 ghz processors. Besides, these tablets are meant to fulfill a very specific purpose which they do.

@ others: This version of the Tablet may never enter the commercial market. It's an educational project and it will be provided only to higher education students. They have developed software and study material specifically for these students.
10 million pieces are ordered for students which are completely subsidized by the government, and they are hoping to eventually bring the cost down to 10$ (no kidding) while partnering with different Governments to improve the device and spread its benefits to other countries in need (the minister personally quoted Pakistan and Sri Lanka).

na dude ....datawind's planning to launch this tablet i.e commercially @ 2999 from November ...

Mate who cares? At that price they will simply clear the market. They wont be able to make them quick enough!

Should privatize manufacturing with a small royalty fee.. over a couple million in 1st year wont be too far fetched a thought..

why not provide students with a basic netbook or say, laptop instead of this fancy device? :rolleyes:
students can benefit from using softwares like office/openoffice etc .

ot: is this also cheen ka maal? :lol:

aakash-ubislate.jpg

@ karan
the mass production of this tablet, DataWind has set up a manufacturing facility in Hyderabad, which can manufacture 700 units daily. For the general audience, DataWind will launch the UbiSlate for Rs 2,999 by November. DataWind is currently talking to carriers to bundle a Rs 99 data plan for 2GB of monthly access for 12 month,,,:cheers:

as per government officials this computer will be available to students of 400 hundred universities and 6000 colleges and one more thing i want to add this computer is prototype and a international tender will be issued as per report a Taiwanese company has shown its interest to manufacture it.

aakash-ubislate.jpg

@ karan
the mass production of this tablet, DataWind has set up a manufacturing facility in Hyderabad, which can manufacture 700 units daily. For the general audience, DataWind will launch the UbiSlate for Rs 2,999 by November. DataWind is currently talking to carriers to bundle a Rs 99 data plan for 2GB of monthly access for 12 month,,,:cheers:

In some aspects this product is better than the original prototype. The display on that one was not as bright, and it didn't look attractive (which is always a plus with students). I'm sure that the 2012 versions will have better specifications and a front facing camera, comparable with the mid range android tablets of today.

You can't run froyo on 366 MHz. You see that triangle with the exclamation mark inside on the upper left corner. That means something has crashed. I have only seen that ever on an unstable Nook Color android hack from CyanogenMod. A properly compiled Android phone or tablet never does that. Froyo is barely useable on an 800Mhz ARM V6. V7 is a minimum for Flash 10.1. This is a paper weight or a publicity stunt, nothing more. The Chinese made parts for this paperweight costs more than $50, so thanks India.

aakash-ubislate.jpg

@ karan

You can't run froyo on 366 MHz. You see that triangle with the exclamation mark inside on the upper left corner. That means something has crashed. I have only seen that ever on an unstable Nook Color android hack from CyanogenMod. A properly compiled Android phone or tablet never does that. Froyo is barely useable on an 800Mhz ARM V6. V7 is a minimum for Flash 10.1. This is a paper weight or a publicity stunt, nothing more. The Chinese made parts for this paperweight costs more than $50, so thanks India.

Will the China made device for $50 come with a 1 year warranty ?

In the videos the Device looks pretty stable and smooth for the price. The testers never complained about the crashing. Even if some application crashed, that does not prove anything. The device provides 100% support for the basic applications that come preloaded which serve the purpose of education. I get crashes on my galaxy S with some apps despite having Gingerbread. You cannot compare this device with low grade Chinese junk that have no warranty and crap software compatibility, and it will continue to receive software upgrades to improve stability. Even Cyanogen Mod does not get it right the first time.

Back
Top Bottom