What's new

India, Japan crank up defence ties

TATA

BANNED
Reaction score
India, Japan crank up defence ties

NEW DELHI: India and Japan continue to expand their military ties across the entire spectrum, with their first-ever army-to-army staff talks beginning here on Tuesday and IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik headed for Tokyo ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit there next month.

ACM Naik, who is also the chairman of the chiefs of staff committee, will be leaving for Japan on Tuesday to further boost the bilateral defence relationship, which now ranges from joint combat exercises and coordinated anti-piracy patrols to counter-terrorism and service-to-service exchanges.

The four-day army-to-army level talks, with the Japanese side being led by its director-general (policy and programmes) Major-General Koichiro Bansho, in turn, will also discuss regional security issues and chalk out the coming calender of events between the two forces.

Both India and Japan, of course, continue to warily watch their large neighbour China undertake rapid modernisation of its 2.25-million armed forces.

Even as India and China jostle for the same strategic space in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), Japan too is getting worried about Chinese Navy's increasing forays near its territorial waters. In fact, their relations have taken a hit in recent days with Japan detaining a Chinese fishing boat captain near mutually-disputed islands.

India and Japan, on their part, have put in place a new "action plan to advance security cooperation'', maritime security dialogue and defence policy dialogue.

The nine-point action plan talks about strategic and defence cooperation as well as coordination in tackling terrorism, piracy and proliferation, and is meant to reinforce the strategic focus in the "global partnership'' between India and Japan.

Read more: India, Japan crank up defence ties - The Times of India India, Japan crank up defence ties - The Times of India

Good going!

But on a sidenote,I think China is digging its own grave,by not sharing good relationships with Asia's strong economies(China,Japan and India are the top 3).Chinese approach towards USA is already known.
In the overtaking sense of pride and pretend to be superior ,they are digging the grave for their own future.

Good going!

But on a sidenote,I think China is digging its own grave,by not sharing good relationships with Asia's strong economies(China,Japan and India are the top 3).Chinese approach towards USA is already known.
In the overtaking sense of pride and pretend to be superior ,they are digging the grave for their own future.

Another thread going to flames!!There was no need for bringing china into this topic.

Another thread going to flames!!There was no need for bringing china into this topic.

I told it was on a SIDENOTE!
The topic has Japan and you know how Japan and China have been connected in the past,so i brought it up,btw,it was a SIDENOTE!!!,sorry if it didn't please you!

I told it was on a SIDENOTE!
The topic has Japan and you know how Japan and China have been connected in the past,so i brought it up,btw,it was a SIDENOTE!!!,sorry if it didn't please you!

Even then Dude please try to stick to the topic

That approach will only lead to flaming up thing and derail of thread.

Anyway hope you got the point.

Thats what we should go for! I liked the beginning but they have long way to go. Japan must come out of their defensive strategies. India also need to do lot. If countries like India, Japan, Singapore, SK or even Taiwan don't together for their common interest, then it will be very unwise.

after the recent china-japan "fisherman" incident , this deal is very much likely to be signed.

We have always had good ties with Japan, they have been one of the few coutries that has been providing infrastructure loan to India consistently. Military ties is just a good gesture from India towards it.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom