What's new

India hands over 88 A/C buses to Bangladesh

Only the entry-level versions of these cars, which didn’t have airbags, were used for the tests although some have pricier versions from the automakers which do include airbags.

This one line sums it up.
Test the top end models and they will meet most of the requirements.

And it would be very very stupid to think if some country is turning into global automobile manufacturing hub will not have all what needs to build a good car. In a large market like India consumer has abundant choices and best on consumers requirements automakers provide them what they need.

Having said that, I do agree Indian government should enforce more default safety standards, so that automakers are forced to take off the cars off the shelf that dont adhere to best of safety standards.

Without posting stupid troll posts - try to read the following UNIDO report from 2003 about Indian auto industry.

https://www.unido.org/fileadmin/use...ee/Global_automotive_industry_value_chain.pdf

This will moderate all your chest thumping and put things in perspective.

And @Rain Man Bhaya - value addition in sewing garments in Bangladesh comes from cotton-bale level on up. This means carding, spinning, weaving, dyeing, sewing and everything else in-between which is worth hundreds of crores of investment in every individual company - no less than turning screwdrivers and probably way, way more. It is infinitely more of a critical and precision industry than auto manufacturing any day. Especially when catering to world-class markets that Bangladesh does - unlike markets in India.

Do you even know what goes into a world class textile mill? There are at least a dozen local companies with operations and sophistication comparable to your textile majors like Arvind. You have no clue...:sarcastic:

Bakwas statement-gulo ki na korlei noi?? The more bakwas statements you post - the more credibility you lose.

India has a huge market for low quality buses - so local industries cater for that low quality market. Our market is small
- so imported products meet the needs just fine. No need for mass low quality bus manufacture like India.

Since you blabered so much, can you let me know whats the bangladesh daily textile production capacity in meters?
And once you find out that, kindly compare it with the textile output of Surat City (Gujarat) and then we can discuss about your investments.

@HariPrasad : Your area of expertize, kindly help the poor fellow with proper insights. I just hope he doesnt fall of the chair.

Last edited:
You and Bombaywalla are the biggest purveyors of bullshit I know (no offense). Do you two hide under a rock??

Indian cars are the worst cars made in the world!!

They have failed every crash test known to mankind. World class my foot....pieces of crap death-trap is more like it.

Your own media is saying this - they don't hide their collective heads in the sand unlike you....:wave:

Japanese reconditioned vehicles (even five years old) are a thousand times better than these deathtraps any day. Which are the lowest priced vehicles sold in Bangladesh for lower end market only.

Look at the pictures with your eyes wide open and see how these trash pieces of tin are folding like cardboard boxes. Read it and weep...

Five Indian-Made Cars Fail Crash Tests - India Real Time - WSJ

BN-BH866_inano3_G_20140131061421.jpg

Several of the most popular cars sold in India–including the Tata Motors Ltd. Nano and the Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. Alto–failed to protect passengers during collisions in independent crash tests on India-made automobiles by an international safety watchdog.

The London-based Global NCAP said Friday that crash tests on five models–which together made up about a fifth of the new cars sold in India last year—showed that passengers risked death or serious injury in collisions at 64 kilometers, or 40 miles, per hour.

“India is now a major global market and production center for small cars, so it’s worrying to see levels of safety that are 20 years behind the five-star standards now common in Europe and North America,” said Max Mosley, chairman of Global NCAP in a statement. “Poor structural integrity and the absence of airbags are putting the lives of Indian consumers at risk.”

Hyundai Motor Co.’s i10, Ford Motor Co.’s Figo and Volkswagen AG’s Polo hatchbacks were also included in the tests. It involved putting the cars and crash test dummies through a direct frontal impact.

BN-BH882_ifigo3_G_20140131064759.jpg

Only the entry-level versions of these cars, which didn’t have airbags, were used for the tests although some have pricier versions from the automakers which do include airbags.

The manufacturers of the vehicles said they were not cutting corners on safety.

“Hyundai Motor India affirms that Hyundai vehicles are designed and build to meet all the prescribed safety standards set by Indian Regulatory Authorities,” said a Hyundai spokesman. Maruti Suzuki did not respond to request for reaction to the tests.

India loses more than 130,000 lives to traffic accidents each year. It has a road traffic fatality rate of 16.8 deaths per 100 000 population, compared with about 10 per 100,000 in the U.S. or four for Germany. Of the 1.24 million people who lose their lives each year on the world’s roads, more than one in ten is Indian.

Approximately half of all deaths on the country’s roads are among vulnerable road users – motorcyclists, pedestrians and cyclists. According to the recently published WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety, though there are laws on speed, seatbelts and helmets they are poorly enforced.

BN-BH889_ii1031_G_20140131065429.jpg

Auto makers in India tend to sell the low-end, stripped down versions of their cars to attract the country’s cost-conscious consumers. The less expensive versions also often don’t have simple safety features such as collapsible steering columns.

India doesn’t yet require its vehicles to meet the United Nation’s minimum crash test standards and doesn’t have a new car assessment program that provides consumers with independent reports of vehicles crash safety, NCAP said.

India is the world’s sixth-largest car producing market, with sales of 3.14 million vehicles last year. It is also becoming an important manufacturing hub for small-car exports.

The study revealed that the Alto, Nano and i10 all have structures that crumbled so much during the crash tests that even if they had airbags, occupants would have been exposed to serious injury.

Global NCAP said the Figo and Polo had more stable structures which would have been strong enough to save passengers from serious injury should driver and front passenger seat airbags be added.

BN-BH890_ipolo3_G_20140131065453.jpg

Volkswagen this week began installing airbags on all models of the Polo hatchback. Global NCAP has tested its airbag equipped Polo and given it four out of five stars for safety.

“We are happy that the Volkswagen Polo has secured a four-star safety rating for adult occupant protection,” said Arvind Saxena, managing director of the passenger car business at Volkswagen Group Sales India. “With our recent introduction of dual front airbags as standard fitment on all variants of the Polo in India, the Polo is now the safest premium-segment hatchback in the country.

Premium Segment? Hatchback?

For a car so small no one would even buy it in Bangladesh....
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

It is needless to mention that the lowest models of the two most basic cars, Nano & Alto, won't match the safety standards of Volkswagen Polo. For a better perspective, the base model of Nano costs a little more than $2000 ex-showroom, and it is supposed to provide a safer alternative of daily commuting for the ordinary bike owners, and just that. Certainly those are not the highest standards of automobile manufacturing in the country. Besides, comparatively pricier cars Hyundai i10 and Datsun Go also failed those tests.
Btw, hatchbacks are supposed to be small.

And about your point on why unlike Indians, Bangladeshis would buy 5 years old used Japanese cars dumped in Bangladesh than a new car with lesser safety standards; it is all about mindset, an Indian would rather die, literally, than pick up an old and used junk of a foreign country, pride matters for us, it's a trait that is missing among Bangladeshis who want foreign countries like USA and China to interfere in their internal affairs and wish to become a Chinese vassal state, so Bangladeshis won't understand it. :)

Last edited:
It is needless to mention that the lowest models of the two most basic cars, Nano & Alto, won't match the safety standards of Volkswagen Polo. For a better perspective, the base model of Nano costs a little more than $2000 ex-showroom, and it is supposed to provide a safer alternative of daily commuting for the ordinary bike owners, and just that. Certainly those are not the highest standards of automobile manufacturing in the country. Besides, comparatively pricier cars Hyundai i10 and Datsun Go also failed those tests.

And about your point on why unlike Indians, Bangladeshis would buy 5 years old used Japanese cars dumped in Bangladesh than a new car with lesser safety standards; it is all about mindset, an Indian would rather die, literally, than pick up an old and used junk of a foreign country, pride matters for us, it's a trait that is missing among Bangladeshis who want foreign countries like USA and China to interfere in their internal affairs and wish to become a Chinese vessel state, so Bangladeshis won't understand it. :)

Dada when you bad mouth us at least do it correctly - the word is 'Vassal' state...not 'vessel'.

These are heavily off topic items but what the hell - I'll bite anyways....

Apart from manufacturing textile we manufacture sewing machines, CNC machines, boilers etc. also. And in automotive industry you need thousand & lacs of crore rupee to producing automotive grade steel to fabricating body & chassis , forging to manufacturing engine, transmission, axles, gear box, suspension, fuel pumps, hydraulics, electricals.

Is this supposed to be news? CNC machining centers and Forging presses being investments in a Trillion dollar economy?

Backward linkage industries for auto sector growing is a surprise??

With the scale of Indian industry I thought these were a given.

The point however is that there is little consistency or quality control (except a handful of well known automotive suppliers). ISO 9001 doesn't mean much in India....

Lol, I reside in Tirupur (Tamil Nadu) called 'Knit City' & some of our client merely export finished clothes declaring hosiery goods & in BD they only iron & pack it for further export.
Can you give valuation of BD textile majors & compare with their Indian counterpart ?

Come on !!! Bangladesh packing Indian product... when our labor costs are 60% of yours. BS has to have some class too. Whatever chori-business Indians do in Dhaka - don't make us a party to it.

Take a short flight from TN to Dhaka and see for yourself. I have a Made in Bangladesh thread where I often post these things.

I am not going to go d*ck-measuring with valuation of BD vs. India textile majors.

Could you give annual market for Buses in BD as I am unable to find.

@Shimz could probably tell you....I don't know.

Since you blabered so much, can you let me know whats the bangladesh daily textile production capacity in meters?
And once you find out that, kindly compare it with the textile output of Surat City (Gujarat) and then we can discuss about your investments.

I have no idea dude. More than 40% of local textiles will be used for $25 Billion plus apparel exports this year. The rest will be imported. Bangladesh is slowly moving upmarket to technical and specialized textiles for active-wear uses. This sector shows a lot of promise.

: Your area of expertize, kindly help the poor fellow with proper insights. I just hope he doesnt fall of the chair.

I am waiting with bated breath. :sarcastic:

Yeah yeah. Yada yada yada....

At the end of the day - no matter however many billion yards of fabric is produced in India it is the real value addition (garments) where countries excel.

And yes we have you guys beat by miles there too. The graphic below is five years old when we beat you in apparel exports - in spite of being smaller than a lot of your states.

And we've come a long way since then...even despite all the recent RAW-inspired setbacks Bangladesh' garment exports fetched $20 Billion in 2013 alone.

This should tell the RAW planning a**-holes in Delhi something is amiss....

You can't win - India's textile industry has not modernized in ages (mostly antiquated local machinery) while Bangladesh export-intensive fabrics are made in high quality TOYODA/TSUDAKOMA air-jet and water-jet looms.

Your costs are way too high and work-ethic too low. Garments factories in Bangladesh are humming 24/7/365. People are putting in ten or even twelve hour workdays. Indians can't match the drive of Bangladesh workers. And their working conditions are now becoming much better than any South Asian country.

I think the only people using Indian textile equipment are those mills making Lungi. The awkat matches well.

6d3d0ddb-408a-461c-b5be-0b1359519fe7.jpg

More recent news,

Despite setbacks, Bangladesh beats India in garment exports
PTIJan 19, 2014, 12.04PM IST
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

MUMBAI: Bangladesh has overtaken India in ready-made garment exports despite the recent setbacks it received like instances of building collapses and fire at manufacturing units, says a study by Exim Bank.

Between January and October 2013, readymade shipments by Indian exporters to the US grew 6.3 per cent to $3.2 billion, while the same by Bangladesh jumped 11.4 per cent at $4.9 billion, the premier export finance agency said.

"In the absence of latest data, imports by the US are a very good benchmark of understanding the latest trends. Bangladesh has been aggressively pushing the garment exports and has made a slew of policy changes to facilitate those," Exim Bank Chief General Manager Prahalathan Iyer told PTI.

Bangladesh's garment exports increased from $6.8 billion in 2005 to $19.9 billion in 2012, recording a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6 per cent. During the same period, India's outward shipments rose from $8.7 billion to $13.8 billion, a CAGR of just 6.8 per cent.

Iyer and his colleagues conducted a study, which revealed that Bangladesh offers sops like uninterrupted power and a priority at the Chittagong port for shipment. "They have to take it very seriously as the garment exports contribute 80 per cent of Bangladesh's total export earnings."

Asked if recent events like a spate of fires and collapse of garment factories, which led to some anxiety over safety norms at these units among the Western retailers sourcing goods from the country's eastern neighbour, is favourable for India, Iyer replied in the negative.

(my note: this clearly explains what kind of well wisher Indians are for Bangladesh. Just fishing for trouble and trying to benefit from someone else's misfortune. Nothing more to say.)

He said in October 2013, because of these incidents, there was a slowdown in Bangladeshi garment exports, which grew only 3 per cent. But initial trends point out to a robust growth of over 41 per cent in November, suggesting a healthy bounce back by the key sector.

Iyer said many of the sourcing companies have South Asia offices situated in India, but they source garments from either Bangladesh or Sri Lanka.

More news,

Bangladesh: Behemoth Garment Industry Weathers The Storm - Forbes

Last edited:
These are heavily off topic items but what the hell - I'll bite anyways....

Is this supposed to be news? CNC machining centers and Forging presses being investments in a Trillion dollar economy?

Backward linkage industries for auto sector growing is a surprise??

With the scale of Indian industry I thought these were a given.
Then don't bark about your value added sector when you produce textile with the help of same million dollar CNC machines (low tech compared to underwear)

The point however is that there is little consistency or quality control (except a handful of well known automotive suppliers). ISO 9001 doesn't mean much in India....
May be they don't give f@ck in BD but rest of the world do.

Come on !!! Bangladesh packing Indian product... when our labor costs are 60% of yours. BS has to have some class too. Whatever chori-business Indians do in Dhaka - don't make us a party to it.
BD don't export due to low cost but due to concession given to ultra poor countries by EU & USA.

Take a short flight from TN to Dhaka and see for yourself.
Our client is regular visitor of BD as he own few textile companies in BD also.
I have a Made in Bangladesh thread where I often post these things.
Which is spamed with cutllery, grossery, textile, food products. Even pickles are not spared. :lol: @Bombaywalla

I am not going to go d*ck-measuring with valuation of BD vs. India textile majors.
Because, then you bite the dust

@Shimz could probably tell you....I don't know.
I would be happy if he give me.

And about your point on why unlike Indians, Bangladeshis would buy 5 years old used Japanese cars dumped in Bangladesh than a new car with lesser safety standards; it is all about mindset, an Indian would rather die, literally, than pick up an old and used junk of a foreign country, pride matters for us, it's a trait that is missing among Bangladeshis who want foreign countries like USA and China to interfere in their internal affairs and wish to become a Chinese vessel state, so Bangladeshis won't understand it. :)
You are too generous, they even import 10 year old used cars.

I am waiting with bated breath. :sarcastic:

Yeah yeah. Yada yada yada....

At the end of the day - no matter however many billion yards of fabric is produced in India it is the real value addition (garments) where countries excel.

And yes we have you guys beat by miles there too. The graphic below is five years old when we beat you in apparel exports - in spite of being smaller than a lot of your states.

And we've come a long way since then...even despite all the recent RAW-inspired setbacks Bangladesh' garment exports fetched $20 Billion in 2013 alone.

This should tell the RAW planning a**-holes in Delhi something is amiss....

You can't win - India's textile industry has not modernized in ages (mostly antiquated local machinery) while Bangladesh export-intensive fabrics are made in high quality TOYODA/TSUDAKOMA air-jet and water-jet looms.

Your costs are way too high and work-ethic too low. Garments factories in Bangladesh are humming 24/7/365. People are putting in ten or even twelve hour workdays. Indians can't match the drive of Bangladesh workers. And their working conditions are now becoming much better than any South Asian country.

I think the only people using Indian textile equipment are those mills making Lungi. The awkat matches well.

6d3d0ddb-408a-461c-b5be-0b1359519fe7.jpg

More recent news,

Despite setbacks, Bangladesh beats India in garment exports
PTIJan 19, 2014, 12.04PM IST
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

MUMBAI: Bangladesh has overtaken India in ready-made garment exports despite the recent setbacks it received like instances of building collapses and fire at manufacturing units, says a study by Exim Bank.

Between January and October 2013, readymade shipments by Indian exporters to the US grew 6.3 per cent to $3.2 billion, while the same by Bangladesh jumped 11.4 per cent at $4.9 billion, the premier export finance agency said.

"In the absence of latest data, imports by the US are a very good benchmark of understanding the latest trends. Bangladesh has been aggressively pushing the garment exports and has made a slew of policy changes to facilitate those," Exim Bank Chief General Manager Prahalathan Iyer told PTI.

Bangladesh's garment exports increased from $6.8 billion in 2005 to $19.9 billion in 2012, recording a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6 per cent. During the same period, India's outward shipments rose from $8.7 billion to $13.8 billion, a CAGR of just 6.8 per cent.

Iyer and his colleagues conducted a study, which revealed that Bangladesh offers sops like uninterrupted power and a priority at the Chittagong port for shipment. "They have to take it very seriously as the garment exports contribute 80 per cent of Bangladesh's total export earnings."

Asked if recent events like a spate of fires and collapse of garment factories, which led to some anxiety over safety norms at these units among the Western retailers sourcing goods from the country's eastern neighbour, is favourable for India, Iyer replied in the negative.

(my note: this clearly explains what kind of well wisher Indians are for Bangladesh. Just fishing for trouble and trying to benefit from someone else's misfortune. Nothing more to say.)

He said in October 2013, because of these incidents, there was a slowdown in Bangladeshi garment exports, which grew only 3 per cent. But initial trends point out to a robust growth of over 41 per cent in November, suggesting a healthy bounce back by the key sector.

Iyer said many of the sourcing companies have South Asia offices situated in India, but they source garments from either Bangladesh or Sri Lanka.

More news,

Bangladesh: Behemoth Garment Industry Weathers The Storm - Forbes

India becomes second largest textile exporter: UN Comtrade
India has now become the second largest textile exporter after China on now constitutes 5.2% of the share with total exports at $772 billion. Apparel exports contributes to 43% of India's total textile exports, according to data released by UN Comtrade.

Apparel exports ranking has also improved to 6 position in 2013 from 8 position in 2012. India’s Apparel Exports, was to the tune of $15.7 billion in 2013, as against $12.9 billion in 2012.

Among the top five global clothing suppliers except for the Vietnam; India’s apparel exports registered the highest growth of 21.8% in 2013. India's apparel exports accounts for 3.7% of global readymade garment exports.

“Despite having slow recovery in USA and EU, our biggest traditional markets as well as prevailing global slowdown coupled with sustained cost of inflationary inputs, we made the best possible efforts to reach here," said Virendra Uppal, chairman of Apparel Exports Promotion Council.

Source: India becomes second largest textile exporter: UN Comtrade | Business Standard News

I hope this helps, and let me also tell you that export is not the india's biggest strength in textiles, its the local market, so I guess this would give you some idea about what size of industry we have.

I guess being best!alized by the Brits for 200 years makes you learn good English. :yes4:

Have some sharm.

And all the screaming in the world by Bhartiyas will not make any difference.

Tata/AL vs. Saab, Scania, MAN, FUSO are in different leagues altogether. I am talking chassis to build buses not complete bus. Who will buy Tata/AL when they have Japanese, German even Korean options?

Of course, Saab etc. are in a smaller league

Dada when you bad mouth us at least do it correctly - the word is 'Vassal' state...not 'vessel'.

You are right, Bangladesh wants to be a Chinese vassal state. :)

Indian exports:
$313.2 billion (2013 est.)
$296.8 billion (2012 est.)

Bangladeshi exports:
$26.91 billion (2013 est.)
$24.92 billion (2012 est.)

If share of garments export to country's GDP is 7% for India and 74% (my goodness!) for Bangladesh, then total Bangladeshi garments export is less than Indian garments export!!

Besides, it is also clear that sewing garments is the ultimate height of Bangladeshi engineering and manufacturing industry. :D

False claim detected, again!! :P

Could you give annual market for Buses in BD as I am unable to find.

It's miniscule. Their car market is also miniscule, only 2 per 1000 own a car, that market is not big enough for even a single decent-sized dealer. :P

And don't even ask about their new car market, it becomes a national news with prime time coverage when one buys a new car in Bangladesh!! :D

Correction: 2.3 trillion dollar economy. India GDP is now larger than Italy and Brazil and is the 7th largest in the world, and will soon be in the top 5.

There is definitely much we can learn from Bangladesh textiles industry, especially for our poorer heartland areas. Hopefully with the correct labour laws and investment climate, India will very soon reach 100 billion dollar textiles export from the roughly 60 billion dollars today.

What is the current size of Bangladesh domestic textiles market? In India it is about 70+ billion dollars itself. So the total Indian textiles industry is producing 130+ billion dollars in revenue. That is nearly the total size of Bangladesh Economy.

So accept there are things both countries can learn from each other and hopefully increase cooperation and trade. Bangladesh definitely needs one or two solid automobile production factories....not the SKD assembly of a few cars each year that is being done (and import many more used cars to fill the gap). That is not sustainable for B'desh transport sector growth especially for commercial vehicles like buses, trucks and vans.

Most of their imported trucks and buses are brought in to the country USED; used by the west, or Japan, and then reconditioned and dumped in to countries like bd, pakistan, lanka, kenya etc :lol:

170933731-submerged-bus-standing-on-road-near-yamuna-gettyimages.jpg

meanwhile india supa dupa pawa bus!! even converts to submarine!

A bit butthurt?

Butthurt over some low life posting a picture of a bus stuck in a flood, and then another low life (i.e yourself) from some turd-land for a country, supplementing the former's brain fart by posting some more pictures of India's much older/more ill-maintained state buses? What a desperate little man you are.

Neither I, nor any other soul on this planet should waste any more time with lower life forms such as yourself or any other India-hater. Your butthurt over the fact that your eternal master is now, and will forever be, India, is clear as crystal. :lol:

edit: I see that you've deleted your long post consisting of photos of ill-maintained Indian buses. I'm glad to see that you've finally grown a quarter of a brain, but I hope that in the future, you'll use your time more wisely instead of spending hours researching your master's business.

Last edited:
Really? Dada I think you need to thicken your skin a bit. Truth hurts doesn't it?

A minuscule country like Bangladesh beating 'shining India' at everything. Health, education stats. and now textiles.

Should I mention per capita # of latrines? No maybe not. Too low to stoop even for me....

My bullshit detector just went off. There are very few foreign-owned apparel factories in Bangladesh. Indian-owned even less. Your friend is either lying or a typical Bhartiya cheater businessman who re-packages Indian goods in Bangladesh to take advantage of GSP. I'll be notifying the customs authorities about this (certificate of origin fraud). Tell your friend RAB is looking for him.:D

Even 10 year old JDM car is better than the new flimsy piece of garbages you sell locally. I am serious. A ten year old 2006 model 1.5 liter JDM Toyota Allion will last ten years and will get higher gas mileage than your 600~800 cc death-trap. It's a completely different class of car and has been refurbished to brand new standard. Something unavailable in India because they want to encourage car industry there. Allion is the most popular JDM refurbished car sold here because of the value, bulletproof reliability and bang-for-the-buck.
X-2006-SILVER-03.jpg
allion2006pearl001%20(4).jpg

Your Maruti 800 class tin can lasts two years - max. No Joke, after that it's too costly to fix and is trash. Ask anyone in the streets of Dhaka.:)

I'm sorry but no one wants to be seen in an Indian car - it's a prestige issue....
Come on dude just stop this dick measuring contest for God's sake. It is going nowhere, if you think your country has better automobile industry then it's fine.
Calm down, why all this mud slinging
Remember give respect take respect
And best of luck for Bangladeshi automakers, hope we can learn from each others experience

Back
Top Bottom