What's new

India Extends Diplomatic Recognition to South Sudan.

DarK-LorD

BANNED
Reaction score
India Extends Diplomatic Recognition to South Sudan.
PTI | Sujit Chatterjee | Juba | Jul 10, 2011

India has become one of the first nations to accord diplomatic recognition to South Sudan, the world's youngest country which split away from Khartoum-ruled north after decades of brutal war that claimed nearly two million lives.

The recognition was accorded through a letter by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to South Sudan's new President General Salva Kiir Mayardit, shortly after he assumed power at the Independence Day function here yesterday.

"On this historic occasion, the government of India extends formal recognition to the independent state of South Sudan," the Prime Minister's letter said.

The letter was handed over to General Mayardit by India's ambassador to Sudan A K Pandey, Secretary (East) in the Ministry of External Affairs Sanjay Singh told reporters.

Officials accompanying Vice President Hamid Ansari, who attended South Sudan's independence day function, said that India would soon be appointing its Ambassador in Juba. At present, India has a Consul General here.

A colourful ceremony, which marked the historic occasion -- the birth of a new nation, was attended among others by Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir and UN chief Ban Ki-moon.

South Sudan would hence be the 193rd country to be recognised by the UN and the 54th member state from Africa.

Earlier on Friday, Sudan extended official recognition to South Sudan, calling it an independent state.

Before attending the independence day celebration here yesterday, Ansari held wide-ranging talks with Ugandan President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni.

They discussed piracy emanating from Somalia and agreed that the menace on the high seas should be dealt with in a multi-pronged manner

During their 45-minute talks, the two sides felt that assistance should be directed to Somalian authorities to deal with piracy, the Secretary (East) said.

The two leaders also discussed the situation in Libya and agreed with the view and efforts of the African Union that the conflict there should be resolved through dialogue, Singh said.

The situation in India's neighbourhood, including Afghanistan, also figured prominently during the parleys.

Besides, the two sides discussed issues relating to Indian investment in Uganda which is to the tune of over a billion dollar now, Indian High Commissioner to Uganda S Ray said.

The Indian side conveyed to Kampala that Indian corporate sector was keen on investing in the region and last year itself people of Indian-origin in Uganda and other Indians had invested nearly USD 300 million.

Issues relating to trade and investment in industry, technology, agriculture, including tea and dairy sectors, besides those in the fields of education, human resource development and capacity building also figured during the talks.

Indian investment in oil sector in Uganda also came up for discussion during Ansari's talks with the Ugandan President on Friday, Ray said.

www.outlookindia.com

it was must ..... I read in several newspapers, the oil wells in south sudan would be very heplful for prospering Indian economy ... As south sudan is economically very weak and corrupt.. the oil wells can be purchased easily, this should be done very fast as US and China may do some naughty things....

Also the govt of south sudan must be convinced that india is the only well wisher of S.Sudan....

on the personal note
India should install army in S.Sudan as soon as possible so that oil wells can be protected

it was must ..... I read in several newspapers, the oil wells in south sudan would be very heplful for prospering Indian economy ... As south sudan is economically very weak and corrupt.. the oil wells can be purchased easily, this should be done very fast as US and China may do some naughty things....

Also the govt of south sudan must be convinced that india is the only well wisher of S.Sudan....

on the personal note
India should install army in S.Sudan as soon as possible so that oil wells can be protected

You are thinking like a true imperialist.

Anyways anybody thinking of getting oil from S.Sudan should also have good relations with N.Sudan as S.Sudan is landlocked.

People in Independent South Sudan seeks India's assistance

Juba (South Sudan), July 10: Residents of newly formed South Sudan have sought India's assistance in building of infrastructure in their country after celebrations to mark the first independence day on Saturday.

Thousands of South Sudanese danced and cheered at Dr. John Garang Mausoleum, as their new country formally declared its independence, after a hard-won separation from the North that plunged the fractured region into a new period of uncertainty.

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir stood next to his five decade old civil war foe, the President of North Sudan, Omar Hassan al-Bashir, who now leads the north, at the ceremony to mark the birth of Africa's 54th state.

Representatives from around the world, including Indian Vice-President Hamid Ansari, attended the celebrations and pledged for peace and development in the world's newest country.

An elated local, Akok M. Madut described it as the happiest moment of their lives as they were fighting for it for a century.

He said the country is looking forward to India as it has lots in store for South Sudan, especially in the field of information technology and education.

"I can say for all South Sudanese and Africans all over the world, I think it is a great day, very big day because people have been fighting for almost hundred years. So that when we lead today for the final day, everyone will be happy whether in the rural areas or the urban areas. Everyone is feeling good for today because they get what they were wanting for a century," said Madut.

"I think India has a far of the emerging economic state. India has a lot of things to do for South Sudan. Specially, India is the best in nowadays for Information Technology, for best education, for the best of the service like. ...education, analysis and others. I think that is best first country in Asia for buying something for South Sudan especially," he added.

Ansari laid a wreath at the mausoleum of Dr. John Garang, the late rebel army leader who is considered the father of the nation.

Africa's newest nation wants global help for development in education, health, medical and infrastructure.

"See it as a base of great hope. I was here 32 times during the war that is why I have place of honour now because with people in the dark times, they are frenzying good times and I was here 32 times with humanitarian aid and telling around what is happening. And in those days, today was not possible. Now the people have courage. They are good people and I wish them every success," said Baroness Cox, Chief Executive of Humanitarian Aid Relief Trust, Queensbury.

"It needs economic investment. They have tremendous economic potential. They are good and honest people, they are good workers; it needs help for health care. They have to resist worst in the world, help in the education, last generation not at all had no education, no schooling. All they had was frenzying. They are good people, they deserve the freedom and deserve help," she added.

North and south Sudan fought Africa's longest civil war, but the former enemies signed a peace deal in 2005, which eventually led to Saturday's independence.

Oil-rich South Sudan on Saturday became the world's newest country, splitting away from Khartoum-ruled north after decades of brutal war that claimed some two million lives.

Copyright Asian News International

People in Independent South Sudan seeks India's assistance

Let me restate my original post.

Why is India worried about oil when it has issues with feeding its existing population? (living on less than $1 / day). Have you thought about corn instead? probably taste better than Sudanese oil

Let me restate my original post.

Why is India worried about oil when it has issues with feeding its existing population? (living on less than $1 / day). Have you thought about corn instead? probably taste better than Sudanese oil

What itches you young boy, Its not a crime in helping some one, and seeing the needy as thyself does not mean haste or greed.... People who ignore themselves to feed others are indeed termed noble...

I am all for helping South Sudan regardless of who does it.

I'm just saying that "RISING" (ha!) India should worry about its 800M poor citizens before getting imperalistic itches.

I'm just saying that "RISING" (ha!) India should worry about its 800M poor citizens before getting imperalistic itches.

Havent you heard that half of the million you mentioned would be lifted from poverty by 2015 in India and China.... atleast its better than being helpless for others and of course for themselves unlike a few...

http://www.defence.pk/forums/india-...ple-india-china-come-out-poverty-2015-un.html

it is 1.2 billion +

it is 1.2 billion +

Buddy the total population of India is 1,210,193,422 , approximately 1.2 billion, which means, Mukesh ambani, TATA, Mittal etc come under the people to earn 2$ a day.... Good going buddy :lol: (I got hold your Sarcasticity)

****I am all for helping South Sudan regardless of who does it.

I'm just saying that "RISING" (ha!) India should worry about its 800M poor citizens before getting imperalistic itches. ****

why does a troll have to enter every india related threads??

A request to mods : create a troll rank in the list of ranks like MINITROLL->TROLL->KILOTROLL->MEGATROLL->GIGATROLL->SUPERTROLL

on the personal note

Bravo. Be the first foreign invader to the newest state of the world.

Beat the troops of US, Pirates and China en route to your destination.

Back
Top Bottom