What's new

India dilutes stand to join pipeline via Pak

Fighter488

Reaction score
CHANGING STANCE

India dilutes stand to join pipeline via Pak

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: The government on Tuesday cleared the way for India joining later this week a US-backed project, which may cost over $10 billion, for wheeling gas from Turkmenistan via Afghanistan and Pakistan. New Delhi will, however, join the project - commonly known as TAPI (Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India) pipeline - after diluting its security concerns over any energy lifeline passing through Pakistan.

India has agreed to accept gas at the Turkman-Afghanistan border and will bank on the international composition of the consortium building the pipeline to ensure supply security through Afghanistan and Pakistan. MEA officials attribute this to India's commitment to ongoing reconstruction efforts in Afghanistan. But there is no denying that the softer security stand is being taken in deference to the US backing for the project, which Washington wants as an alternative route for Central Asian gas bypassing the Russian pipelines network.

In case of the Iran pipeline project, which is cheaper and easier to build, India has been playing hardball over the same issues and insisting Teheran delivers gas at New Delhi's gates. India also appears to be playing along Turkmenistan's unwillingness to make up for any shortfall or disruption in gas supplies. Oil minister Murli Deora will represent PM Manmohan Singh, who will be away in Europe, at the signing of the Inter Government Agreement and Gas Pipeline Framework Agreement for the Turkman project at a summit meeting at Ashgabat on December 11.

The GPFA would lay down terms of transporting gas through the pipeline that may take up to five years to build. The agreements will be followed by negotiations on the price of gas and other commercial terms. Deora said, “the four nations would commit to providing government support including security of the 1,700-km pipeline. India and Pakistan will import 38 mcmd (mcm per day) of gas each from Turkmenistan, while Afghanistan will get 14 mcmd.”

ToI feed dated 09 Dec 2010.

Fighter

I think india should also move with iran -pak -india pipe line project even though it share the security concerns but it can help long way in Indias energy needs

^^^^^

good joke....

but again, india can trust USA in case of security rather than iran....as former's authority is more on pakistan than latter !

It look more of a diplomatic overture towards NATO, rather than a serious move. May be trying to send a message to ALL in the region that USA is going to stay MORE than announced. :)

It do not look a serious proposition till now!

Fighter

india can do anything to keep USA in afganistan ! :D :D :D

lage raho india ! :P

Yeah they are going to deploy whole of their army in Afghanistan for the protection of this gas pipeline in Afghanistan. :rofl:

Buddy, i don't know why you are so happy about it.

India and Pakistan will import 38 mcmd (mcm per day) of gas each from Turkmenistan, while Afghanistan will get 14 mcmd

India, pakistan & Afghanistan all should be worried about the security of the gas pipeline. We are energy deficient countries. If there is an alternative, we should get it by what ever means. In my town during summer, we get 1 hour of power cut. I just hate that.

With TAPI pipeline , India can stay in Afghanistan, and Pakistan can not force US for a smaller role for India. Bcoz we have our security interests in Afghanistan.

I dont know how India agreed to join TAPI when It was not ready to joining Iran Pak India pipeline due to security reasons, which passes through only Pakistan. But TAPI passes through both Afghanistan and Pakistan.

u really dont understand ? :P

tell me what better can india do to be in afganistan and keep USA too ! ;)

u see its simple.....india dont have control over iran but yes it can do manipulate afganistan incase pakistan plays spoilsport.....

Our gas is blocked in pakistan....

Pakistan's gas is blocked in afganistan..... :D

and USA on the card......u know its always gonna pay..... !!!!!

oh well I would advise India to refrain joining IPI now... yes continue your TAPI project for sure

I don't want to see anymore hurdle in I-P project

Yeah they are going to deploy whole of their army in Afghanistan for the protection of this gas pipeline in Afghanistan. :rofl:
Not army but they will deploy their blackwater guys as they are doing now allover AF PAK.

sorry to play spoilsport, but i doubt Iran going with the pipeline with only pakistan......completely economic reasons tough.....

infact i wud prefer china to join the pipeine if the plan is to ever exist !

waise bhi irani gas pakistan ke liye bahut mehgi hai!

Seriously not again. Since when did any project comprising both India and Pakistan went through. Another waste of time. Pakistan should focus on IP project and not some fantasy dream of some moron sitting in DC.

Back
Top Bottom