What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

yes , but where is smart city scheme ? no progress on ground !? just talks ?

Smart cities plan was delayed due to a impotent Venkayya naidu as urban development minister.
BTW it could tale anywhere between 08-12 yrs for the projects to complete.

Going through the pictures, I can easily say that no indian city matches Lahore in culture, history, environment, infrastructure, and overall vibe....

Before some indiots google "dirty lahore pics" and post it here to make their "point"...let me explain...

indian cities like Delhi have history like Lahore, and I am sure infrastructure of newly developed areas in Chandigarh is no less, and the vibe of goa is pretty cool..

What I am talking about is having it all in one city...

Lahore is easily the best city of indian subcontinent..

can easily say that no indian city matches Lahore in culture, history, environment, infrastructure,

Typical non sense. What do Lahore have that Delhi doesn't? Especially in case of infrastructure, Lahore is way behind Delhi.

Sorry, but try catching up with Indian tier 2 cities in infrastructure. And stop boasting about Metrobuses. :lol:

I am sure that you Pakistanis are way too smart buddy. Maybe that's why you folks file just 1/200 of the Patents India files every year & fail to come up with even a scooter engine design, even after 69 years...

Last edited:
Typical non sense. What do Lahore have that Delhi doesn't? Especially in case of infrastructure, Lahore is way behind Delhi.

Sorry, but try catching up with Indian tier 2 cities in infrastructure. And stop boasting about Metrobuses. :lol:

Let him be....some more years down the road it will sound like an Afghan saying Kandahar is the best city in south asia :lol:

Have to say I am impressed with the efficient running of Delhi Metro at rush hour. Crowd is more disciplined than I remember it many years back....and they have put dedicated officers at each door to ensure safety etc.

Never thought I would live to see the day when Delhi-ites or Indians in general let people disembark first and then get on after....efficiency, courtesy and manners seem to be slowly finding its way into Indian urban public overall. A great development :tup:

@AndrewJin @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @Ankit Kumar 002 @proud_indian @Local_Legend @Levina et.al

.efficiency, courtesy and manners seem to be slowly finding its way into Indian urban public overall. A great development :tup:
True that.
I want ppl to be a little more respectful towards the pedestrians too.

Last edited:
True that.
I need ppl to be a little more respectful towards the pedestrians too.

Pedestrian problem will prevail for some time yet. Its still pretty terrible in Malaysia and their per capita GDP is a lot higher.

Asians in general do not take well to being respectful to those they perceive as without means in the direct immediate context I find.

Let him be....some more years down the road it will sound like an Afghan saying Kandahar is the best city in south asia :lol:

Have to say I am impressed with the efficient running of Delhi Metro at rush hour. Crowd is more disciplined than I remember it many years back....and they have put dedicated officers at each door to ensure safety etc.

Never thought I would live to see the day when Delhi-ites or Indians in general let people disembark first and then get on after....efficiency, courtesy and manners seem to be slowly finding its way into Indian urban public overall. A great development :tup:

@AndrewJin @anant_s @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @Ankit Kumar 002 @proud_indian @Local_Legend @Levina et.al

People mountain people sea!:D

No safety door plan?

Asians in general do not take well to being respectful to those they perceive as without means in the direct immediate context I find.
I would not make sweeping statement about Asians, because middle east is far better when it comes to respecting pedestrians. Infact, going by the impression that people have about arabs, this is least expected.
But in India, an elite Indian has a ferocious sense of entitlement. Crime without punishment is what we associate with money and power.
More cameras on the road and strict rules might help.

No safety door plan?

Already being Installed

And you won't find this much rush all the time, It happens sometimes when there is a delay like 5-10 minutes in service at peak hours

Delhi Metro Begins Installing Platform Screen Doors

15 Jan 2016 ⋅ by TMRG ⋅ in Delhi Metro4 Comments
After successfully testing a prototype, the Delhi Metro’s contractors last month began installing 288 half height Platform Screen Doors (PSDs) at 6 stations on the Yellow line! These 1.7 meter tall doors will act as a partition between the platforms & track area, and only open & close when a train arrives and departs. These PSDs are being installed to eliminate suicides and prevent accidents that may arise due to heavy passenger movement that is witnessed at the following stations:

• Central Secretariat
    • Rajiv Chowk (Connaught Place)
    • New Delhi (Railway Station)
    • Chawri Bazaar
    • Chandni Chowk
    • Kashmere Gate
Spotted at New Delhi station:
DelhiMetroPSD2-605x390.jpg

Platform Screen Doors at New Delhi Station – Photo Copyright: Yogesh Aggarwal
Spotted at Chawri Bazaar station:

Video Copyright: Hemant Bhatia
The 83 crore contract to install the 288 PSDs for contract BS08 was awarded to a JV of NRT (a South Korean company) and Stone India in November 2013. NRT is a company that specializes in PSDs and they’ve previously installed them at various metro lines at Baku in Azerbaijan and at Incheon & Seoul in South Korea (see company history).

Work to create a functional prototype first began at NRT’s Korean facility in May 2014 following which a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) team made a 3 day site visit in November 2014. NRT was kind enough to document the team’s journey in a YouTube video which involved eating sumptuous ramen, travelling on one of the high speed rail lines and enjoying the view of the gentle, rolling hills . During their spare time..ahem..visit to NRT’s facility, the DMRC team took part in a workshop to understand and get a demonstration on how the PSDs will function:
DelhiMetroPSD4.jpg

Prototype of a Platform Screen Door at NRT’s facility in South Korea – Photo Copyright: NRT
DelhiMetroPSD5.jpg

DMRC & NRT’s teams at NRT’s facility in South Korea – Photo Copyright: NRT
After that workshop, the action moved to Delhi where a working prototype was installed at DMRC’s test center in Chawri Bazaar (not the station) for further testing:
DelhiMetroPSD6.png

Platform Screen Doors at DMRC’s test center in Chawri Bazaar – Photo Copyright: NRT
DelhiMetroPSD3.jpg

PSDs at DMRC’s test center in Chawri Bazaar – Photo Copyright: NRT
Following successful tests, in December 2015 – the NRT-Stone India team began installing frames of the PSDs during non-revenue hours in the nights starting with the Chawri Bazaar station. The PSDs at all 6 yellow line stations or platforms are expected to start functioning by May 2016.
Unlike the full-height PSDs installed at the Airport Express line’ stations (see image), the ones installed on the Yellow line will feature LCD screens for displaying advertisements! Apart from this line, all stations on the new 58.596 km Pink and 38.235 km Magenta lines will also feature half height PSDs. The 3 contracts to install them valued at Rs 131.32 crores, Rs 98.71 crores and Rs 312.11 crores were given to a Japanese-Indian consoritum of KTK – AIKON in May 2015.

For more updates on Delhi Metro’s Phase III, please visit the Delhi section of The Metro Rail Guy!

I would not make sweeping statement about Asians, because middle east is far better when it comes to respecting pedestrians. Infact, going by the impression that people have about arabs, this is least expected.
But in India, an elite Indian has a ferocious sense of entitlement. Crime without punishment is what we associate with money and power.
More cameras on the road and strict rules might help.

Oh ok I did not know that about Middle East. I will have to visit at some point to see for myself hehe.

But its pretty bad in developing asia in general (SEA, subcontinent, china etc)...but china I find is improving because they are making more dedicated infra for pedestrians at least. This has only started in India so long way to go......but in Malaysia they have completely bypassed it because of unfettered car craze......i.e they got great highways and roads....but sidewalks and pedestrian ways are horrible and the manners are quite atrocious when I go there expecting what I take for granted in Canada (and even in rabbles like Toronto).

No safety door plan?

Safety doors will come later I think. Right now this system seems to be ok.

Heck when I grew up in HK they didnt have them there in MTR so it was a big surprise for me when I first went to Singapore and saw them there in full operation.

BTW whats the prevalence of such safety doors in Chinese metros? Is it a default standard?

phase 3 will have safety doors and i think some stations of phase 1 and 2 are also getting PSDs

Driverless Trains are here....

Unattended Train Operation (UTO) trial on Delhi Metro's new Magenta line

DelhiMetroTrial16.jpg

Delhi Airport Metro Express & another line under construction

Delhi6.jpg

@Nilgiri

Rs 7 lakh crore (~$105 billion) to be spent on building 50,000 kms of national highways

By: PTI | Updated: July 25, 2016 4:08 PM

expressway-nhai.jpg

About Rs 7 lakh crore would be spent to develop around 50,000 kilometres of national highways over the next five years, the government said today.

During Question Hour in Rajya Sabha, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said the Government has allocated a total Gross Budgetary support of Rs 46,834 crores including cess and toll remittance for 2016-17 for the Road, Transport and Highways Ministry.

Government Plans NH Grid, To four lane 18,000 km of National Highways

13442218_10157027516525553_1047552331371503170_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oh ok I did not know that about Middle East. I will have to visit at some point to see for myself hehe.

But its pretty bad in developing asia in general (SEA, subcontinent, china etc)...but china I find is improving because they are making more dedicated infra for pedestrians at least. This has only started in India so long way to go......but in Malaysia they have completely bypassed it because of unfettered car craze......i.e they got great highways and roads....but sidewalks and pedestrian ways are horrible and the manners are quite atrocious when I go there expecting what I take for granted in Canada (and even in rabbles like Toronto).

Safety doors will come later I think. Right now this system seems to be ok.

Heck when I grew up in HK they didnt have them there in MTR so it was a big surprise for me when I first went to Singapore and saw them there in full operation.

BTW whats the prevalence of such safety doors in Chinese metros? Is it a default standard?
kind of "default" in all the newly built subways.
They have also upgraded the old lines, such Beijing's first 2 subways built decades ago.
Sometimes bad things happen. It can happen when there are very few passengers. for example epilepsy attack. One incident happened in my city's first metro which was built more than one decade ago because of epilepsy.

Photos from
https://defence.pk/threads/chinese-metro-news-updates.412018/

Xi'an Subway
060145jx24mr9xx26xrq78.jpg

My city
8.jpg

Ningbo Subway
635370106479843750.jpg

Qingdao
Qingdao.Metro.Line3.3.jpg

Changsha
152546ffbpzbbjnii4itpt.jpg