What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

He says railways is trillions of dollars worth. :eek: ... 8.5 lac crore investment in railways in next 5 years (and that probably excluding bullet train) . That would alone add one or two percent to GDP growth rate !!!

Somewhere on the Golden Quadrilateral..Now being upgraded to six lanes

1321874607_1318512177_DSC_1214-a.JPG

1321874590_1318512359_DSC_1198-a.JPG

Hey friends
please can anyone tell me What are the guidelines of smartcity.
i think there was news that smart city council of india was framing rules and guidelines for upcoming smart city project.

Hey friends
i think there was news that smart city council of india was framing rules and guidelines for upcoming smart city project.

forget smart city it will exist only on paper

Hey friends
The key features of a Smart City is in the intersect between competitiveness, Capital and Sustainability. The smart cities should be able to provide good infrastructure such as water, sanitation, reliable utility services, health care; attract investments; transparent processes that make it easy to run a commercial activities; simple and on line processes for obtaining approvals, and various citizen centric services to make citizens feel safe and happy.

I meant was the the guidelines which are provided in Smart cities council says there should be vertical development so that there should ample space for wide roads and no traffic like America, Europe, Gulf and other countries.

NATIONAL HIGHWAY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT(NHDP)

The National Highways Development Project is a project to upgrade, rehabilitate and widen major highways in India to a higher standard.

SamiakhaliGujarat.jpg

balasoreParadeep.jpg

The project is composed of the following phases:

• Phase I: The Golden Quadrilateral (GQ; 5,846 km) connecting the four major cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata with 4 lane highways. This project connecting four metro cities, would be 5,846 km (3,633 mi). Total cost of the project is Rs.300 billion (US$6.8 billion), funded largely by the government’s special petroleum product tax revenues and government borrowing. In January 2012, India announced the four lane GQ highway network as complete.
  • Phase II: North-South and East-West corridors comprising national highways connecting four extreme points of the country with 4 lane highways. The North–South and East–West Corridor (NS-EW; 7,300 km) connecting Srinagar in the north to Kanyakumari in the south, including spur from Salem to Kanyakumari (Via Coimbatore and Kochi) and Silchar in the east to Porbandar in the west. Total length of the network is 7,300 km (4,500 mi).
  • Phase III: The government recently approved NHDP-III to upgrade 12,109 km (7,524 mi)of national highways to 4 lane highways on a Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis, which takes into account high-density traffic, connectivity of state capitals via NHDP Phase I and II, and connectivity to centres of economic importance.
  • Phase IV: The government is widening 13,203 km of highway that were not part of Phase I, II, or III. Phase IV will convert existing single lane highways into two lanes with paved shoulders.
  • Phase V: As road traffic increases over time, a number of four lane highways will need to be upgraded/expanded to six lanes. The current plan calls for upgrade of about 6,500 km of four-lane roads,(Includeing entire GQ )
  • Phase VI: The government is planning to construct expressways that would connect major commercial and industrial townships. It has already identified 400 km (250 mi) of Vadodara (earlier Baroda)-Mumbai section that would connect to the existing Vadodara (earlier Baroda)-Ahmedabad section.The 334 km (208 mi) Expressway between Chennai—Bangalore and 277 km (172 mi) Expressway between Kolkata—Dhanbad has been identified and feasibility study and DPR contract has been awarded by NHAI.
  • Phase VII: This phase calls for improvements to city road networks by adding ring roads to enable easier connectivity with national highways to important cities. In addition, improvements will be made to stretches of national highways that require additional flyovers and bypasses . The 19 km (12 mi) long Chennai Port—Maduravoyal Elevated Expressway is being executed under this phase.
National Highways Development Project is being implemented in all phases except phase VI at present. The present phases improving more than 49,260 km of arterial routes of NH Network to international standards. The project-wise details NHDP all Phases as below.

We have 21932 km of four lane National Highways & 2115 km of six at lane National Highways at present.

Around 26,000 km. length of National Highways is to be upgraded to 4-lane divided carriageway facility, 6,500 km of National Highways to
be upgraded to six lane facility, 20,000 km of existing deficient stretches to be improved to two-lane with paved shoulder facility & 1000 km of expressways will be built

14.jpg

Check the updates here .:NHAI:. What it is?

Last edited:
Yes my friend you are correct i was just asking that are there any guidelines for high rises and vertical development so that it should look like global city like NY where i am living and other cities in Europe and China.

Phase V: As road traffic increases over time, a number of four lane highways will need to be upgraded/expanded to six lanes. The current plan calls for upgrade of about 6,500 km of four-lane roads,(Includeing entire GQ )

Manual of Specifications and Standards for Six Laning of National Highways

• The concessionaire shall plan for capacity augmentation and design the Project Highway in a manner that will ensure safe operation of the Project Highway as a “partially access controlled highway”. For safe operation, high speed traffic and slow traffic/local traffic shall be separated by constructing parallel service roads
  • There shall be no direct access to the main highway and all access shall be from service roads which shall be provided on both sides of the main highway. All traffic without exception, needing access to the main highway shall first come on to the service road and then join the main highway through an acceleration lane.There shall be no at-grade intersection of any road with the main highway, but only with the service road.
  • The intersecting roads, other than those covered in sub para (2) above, shall be designed to facilitate all movements in following manner: a. Through a diamond shaped grade separated intersection for cross roads, or b. Through underpass / overpass for crossing the Project Highway and then right turn through a ramp to merge with the Project Highway or service road if provided as per this Manual, or c. Through merging with service road and crossing through the next available vehicular underpass.
  • The service roads on both sides shall be continuous
  • Advanced Traffic Management Systems (ATMS): The Project Highway shall be provided with ATMS so as to have enhanced safety for the users / travellers, collect information for the traffic operations, provide information to the users on real time basis for the traffic - 9 - flow conditions and incidents ahead. For this purpose, there would be a control centre and outdoor equipment connected through a transmission medium
  • Design Speed of 100 kmph on plain terrain
A four lane road being upgraded under phase V

nh_rajasthan.jpg

Upgraded road

nh45.jpg

interesting read @Bombaywalla @Mr.Nair @Abingdonboy

Last edited:
Nice but what about the smart cities guidelines....
Anyone.....

Back
Top Bottom