What's new

India Developing, but still a long way to go

Oh So you are a Barodian??!!!! I worked in Baroda for a long time. It is a very beautiful small city. Palace of Baroda is Awesome. Ajwa garden is best. I have 2 house (rented) in Baroda.

Yupp, pakka Barodian to the core! I live in the old walled city, near tower chaar rasta. Lived there all my life until I moved to the States. Family still there though.

All,
Just curious about something, I have not had data about this in a long time. What is the current GDP PPP of Mumbai? It was 209 BN in 2010, do not know what it is now. Delhi should surpass Mumbai in terms of GDP pretty soon from the way it is growing. Do not know GDP of Delhi as well.

Yupp, pakka Barodian to the core! I live in the old walled city, near tower chaar rasta. Lived there all my life until I moved to the States. Family still there though.

All,
Just curious about something, I have not had data about this in a long time. What is the current GDP PPP of Mumbai? It was 209 BN in 2010, do not know what it is now. Delhi should surpass Mumbai in terms of GDP pretty soon from the way it is growing. Do not know GDP of Delhi as well.

I didn't find any update. Ahmadabad with$64 Bn And Surat with $40 bn are ate 7th and 9th place. By 2020 Delhi will be No. Ahmadabad to grow highest (In %) about 3.5 times by 2020.

GDP question good question?

Data? Haha ... India is still developing but a long way to go so good clean data is hard to come by, even if it exists. Around here we use heuristics.

• Mumbai's economy surpassed entire Pakistan's economy recently at about $ 1/4 Trillion, nominal. In all candour, Mumbai today is a Pune-Mumbai-Thane-Amdavad biz. agglomeration. So the numbers can scale upto $ 1/2 to 3/4 Trillion. Pls., Af-Pak. biz. agglomeration is not the same.
Mumbai's old $ petro, Bollywood, auto and BFSI ans scores of other industries went Global in the past 10 yrs. and their net worth has amplified multiple times. This Mumbai based Globalisation wave has carried all of Mumbai MMR in it's wake, and often much of the rest of India.

Newly Renovated Bombay High Oil Fields, Mumbai's Economy
- Produced $ 1/2 Trillion ($'s 506, 907620000 Billion) worth of crude since 1975 with most of the fabrication, operations and refining centered around Bombay. Oil is a the largest chunk of Mumbai's economy even today including import, export, marketing and distribution.

2513.jpg

Think world's richest oil tycoon Ambani and his $ Billion house,

Mukesh-bhai's House, Mumbai

images

Tata's JLR, Corus takeovers and it's TCS arm alone valued at $ 80-100 Billion (combined market cap of Indian IT is close to $ 200 Billion), Slumdog Millionaire cleaned up the Oscars some yrs. ago.

Concept Tata Jag., Mumbai based Tata Owned

jaguar.jpg

Bandra-Kurla Complex, Mumbai's New Financial District

ssrv.jpg

India's 12'th plan's got a $ 1 Trillion infra. expense. Boom plan, runs to 2017.
In the infra. biz in India, $1, of labour, sand, cement, steel & land, goes far, upto 10-25 times.
I was thinking, Indian aggressive and paranoid conditioning is rooted in it's infra. deficit.
I noticed metro rail travellers in posh Delhi colonies are easy going because of options of good roads, air-conditioned and other private buses, auto's, cars, bikes and scooters, while on the outskirts where retired, chassis-on-truck-bed type buses rule the roost; the crowd is even more aggressive and edgy then their erstwhile city brethren. India's infra. is spreading radially from it's mega cities, so Mumbai-Pune or Mumbai-Amdavad or Delhi-Jaipur or Delhi-Agra first and then Mumbai-Hyderabad or Delhi-Lucknow. I know these stretches are already done road-wise.

Soon things will be less mental.

So it's a $ 10-25 Trillion infra. push :woot: !

• India's infra. story is already big, it will be the biggest marketing makeover for India because India is coming up with over-the-top infra. in the coming years and it shows on this thread. The smartphone enabled world has instant access to pretty pictures now and thanks to the infra. push and English language, IT savvy Indian media, Indian content is going big via the internet. Bollywood is all over the internet far more then it ever was in the Global print media. The pic.'s on our thread here are like a peek into the future, in 5 yrs. all India should look like that.

Howzzat ? - India asks World Bank to ensure infrastructure development finance
_________-----------------------------------------------------------------

India has asked the World Bank and other multilateral development banks to create special windows for ensuring finance for infrastructure development, which should include provision to help projects that face a sudden scarcity of funds due to volatile capital flows.

“Special windows need to be created in the World Bank and other multilateral development banks (MDBs) for ensuring finance in support of infrastructure development, including provision of finance for ongoing projects, which face a sudden scarcity of funds owing to volatile capital flows,” Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said during his intervention at the G-20 meeting of finance ministers here on Friday.

“Access to this window should be beyond the normal country limits, which otherwise introduce inflexibility,” Mr. Chidambaram said.

The aim of such a provision should be to create mechanisms which can increase the flow of infrastructure financing at times when other investments are slowing down, he said.

“We should also have a greater involvement of the IFC in infrastructure financing to help catalyse private sector flows into the sector,” Mr. Chidambaram said.

Underscoring the critical role that investment, particularly in infrastructure, can play in sustaining the global recovery and re-balancing, Mr. Chidambaram said larger investments in infrastructure in emerging markets would increase the potential of these countries to grow more rapidly in the medium run, and would also contribute to a much needed global demand in the short-run.

Welcoming the proposal to set up a new and dedicated financing facility called the Global Infrastructure Facility at the World Bank to serve the financing needs for infrastructure, particularly in emerging and developing economies, he said India would like to see the detailed proposal for its establishment with specific timelines by the December deputies meeting.

Mr. Chidambaram said the G-20 is well placed to coordinate various stakeholders, including governments, especially the ones that have large surpluses, the private sector and multilateral development banks for investment in developing countries through innovative ways to recycle global savings and development of viable strategies that overcome the presumed hurdle of ‘lack of enabling environment’ for infrastructure investment.

(c) http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ec...ucture-development-finance/article5228989.ece

The pic.'s of dozens of Chinese HSR's in train yards are out of this world already. Similar to old school pic.'s of the space shuttles, Apollo moon rocket, Manhattan skyline, Concorde supersonic passenger planes, French TGV etc.

Music to my ears:

Il Volo - 'O Sole Mio - YouTube

@patentneer,

$ 1/4 Trillion(i.e. 250 BN) PPP or Nominal? Pak's GDP PPP is almost $490 BN. If you are talking nominal then it would be totally awesome! In PPP terms it would be more than 600 BN I think but don't think that is possible.

Anyone else has any more data?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gujjustani, where you getting your numbers?

indexmundi.com :yahoo:

Plus economist.com

These figures should be pretty reliable I think. That is the problem see.. country data is available, state/city data is not. There is no way to smartly break it up as well. The only thing we can say is "Maharashtra contributes the most, MP the least" or something like that and give ballpark figures.

J.S.S hospital,mysore(not yet operational but recently inaugurated by the president of India)
DonorsCorner.jpg

jss22sep13-2.jpg

1381182_533184066757742_328008731_n.jpg

capturesbks.jpg

JSShospitalBF27sept2013.jpg

columbia asia hosital,Mysore
mysore_hospital.jpg

dsc07642i.jpg

dsc07645v.jpg

cah-1.jpg

Japan interested in Bangalore-Mysore bullet train project:Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.

Japan has evinced interest in funding and sharing technology in a bullet train project in Karnataka, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah said here today.

Siddaramaiah said he had a meeting with Japan's Minister for Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Hakubun Shimomura, on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum meeting at Dalian in China.

The Japanese side evinced interest in a high speed (bullet) train project in terms of technology and investment and promised to send a delegation to Bangalore on an exploratory visit, the Chief Minister said in a media briefing on his three-day China trip.

"A bullet train between Bangalore and Mysore (about 140 kms) is necessary as we want to decongest Bangalore. One can reach Mysore in 30 minutes (by bullet train)", said Siddaramaiah, who appeared impressed by his eight-minute travel by a high speed train from Shanghai central to Pudong international airport covering a distance of 50 kms.

He said the Dalian convention centre was built by the Chinese to host WEF meeting in just 10 months, adding his government is inspired by the idea and wants to build an international convention centre near Bangalore airport at Devanahally on PPP model at a cost of Rs 400 crore to Rs 500 crore.

The Chief Minister, who was accompanied by a 14-member business group and nine-member official team, said China's growth and development are impressive. "We have to learn and imbibe the quality (of infrastructure) and vision from them", he remarked.

State officials said Malaysia's Q1 Group expressed interest in investing in e-retail, IT and education sectors in Karnataka while Spanish firm Acciona did so in waste water treatment, renewable energy projects and wind energy when Siddaramaiah held one-on-one discussions with top executives of the two companies.

The CM sought to showcase investment opportunities in sectors like IT, BT, aerospace, manufacturing, food processing and tourism and wind energy during his interactions with senior executives of several companies as also at a road-show that Karnataka government hosted at Dalian attended by 150 investors and entrepreneurs, officials said.

@Bombaywalla,

Awesome pics man! Netaji Subhash airport is possibly one of the most unique airports in the world! Printing the Geetanjali on the roof was a creative masterstroke.

@Bombaywalla,Awesome pics man!

All credit goes to the photographer :)

Subhash airport is possibly one of the most unique airports in the world! Printing the Geetanjali on the roof was a creative masterstroke.

Agreed! I love the Bengali alphabet. The airport will only get better once the process of privatisation is complete.

Back
Top Bottom