What's new

INDIA: Building a Modern Arsenal in India

havent watched all the best, will do that soon.

Talking about building modern arsenal in India,Bollywood is a major and widely recognised soft power of India all across the globe.

Talking about building modern arsenal in India,Bollywood is a major and widely recognised soft power of India all across the globe.

yup so true, Bollywood also is a multiplying force for India, it creates a positive image for India in the western world.

conclusion people are still poor & living on footpaths.think about people not about weapons.

Don't worry the poor hungry people living on streets are voluntarily subsidizing Indian Defence spending....

:no:

yes a great video if you want India to look backwards and decadent, the men riding on horses with the tricolour though is quite impressive. should have been some shots of mumbai or Delhi where modren infrastucture exists. And by the way where are the Sikhs are they not just as patriotic or did they not fight just as hard and pay just as much blood, if not more, why are they not fairly and equally represented.

RFI for Trajectory Correctable Munitions, Terminally Guided Munitions

DG Artillery under the Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army) has released 3 RFIs related to ammunition. Two of them are in relation to smart ammunition - Trajectory Correctible Ammunition (TCM) and Terminally Guided Munition (TGM).

"Less than 1% of Indian munition is Precision Guided". So it good to see that the Army is seriously considering this purchase. The following is a tech primer. 8ak's detailed report "Challenges in India's Artillery Modernisation Program" will be released on Jun 14 which will be tech primer, operating guide and summary of artillery tenders, all in one.

In conventional munition, a fuze is attached to the shell and acts purely as a detonation device which controls whether the munition bursts after a set time, after penetrating the target or at a particular distance from it. In case of such conventional ammunition, the probability of hitting the target is directly proportional to the distance from the gun. There are currently two main ways to make munitions more accurate.

a) Provide navigational information to the munition. Using GPS/INS information, the shell can correct its line and range for improved accuracy. This is trajectory correctible munition (TCM) like BAE Bofors Bonus now under development.

b) Since the target could have moved by the time the co-ordinates reach the gunner, the second method is that instead of getting locational information, the sensors instead get information from the target. In case of the Copperhead or Russian Krasnopol, which are laser guided, the target has to be highlighted with a laser designator, possibly by a forward observer. Since the munition is guided by emissions from or bouncing off the target, it is called Terminally Guided Munition (TGM).

When there is no one to illuminate/highlight the target, sensors IR/MMW can be fitted in to the fuze/shell so that it can identify the target itself. In case of the now discontinued Sadarm system this was done via a IR/MMW sensor fuzed submunitions over the target. This top-attack munition could take out a tank.

But these methods are expensive. Each Excalibur shell in use by the American's in Afghanistan is $80,000 - 100,000. Also, most countries have huge ammunition stockpiles that are not refreshed unless used in war or discarded due to obsolescence. Hence, there are precision guided kits that are basically a replacement for the fuze. These mostly have GPS/INS capability and cost less than $3,000 and offer similar CEPs as that of TCMs.

Use of precision weapons reduces the amount of ammunition required to achieve the mission and hence huge reduction in inventory and related logistics. So it is easy to think that this could be the end of dumb ammunition. But it is not because at short ranges dumb munitions may be just as effective, they are much cheaper and can be used in combination with smart ammunition. For eg a commander may choose to first use a few precision rounds and then follow up with 'steel rain' to create psychological fear in the enemy and destroy other lower value targets/infrastructure. Hence, IHQ (Army) has simultaneously issued a RFI for a 120mm mortar system. US company ATK also offers precision capability in mortars.

The tenders can be found on tenders.gov.in. Key people who are expected to respond are BAE Systems, Raytheon, Israel's IAI and Russia's KBP Instrument Design Bureau.

conclusion people are still poor & living on footpaths.think about people not about weapons.

u people dont have to say anything else than this...,cramming is not always fruitful,and finally mind ur own land,we will mind our....,u shud comment and lecture us only if u have successfully removed the poverty frm pak:wave::wave:

India is a land of contrast yes there is poor but according to World bank there is more poverty in Pakistan, and if india continues to grow at 8% for the next 10 yrs then poverty will be reduced by 1/2 then present numbers.

Desiman you have stopped posting here.

yes i have, i dont post that much on PDF in general anymore. Things have changed on here and i feel that logical discussions are not possible anymore. Way to many conspiracy theories and one sided threads. Ill try to get some posting started on this thread again but mostly my posting will remain minimal.

He desiman.. Welcome back bro... I really missed u bhai...

Why did they ban u... ??

And the reason above is the same why i have been slowly keeping away frm this forum.

Anyways.. Plz do update my [this one] my fav thread.....

He desiman.. Welcome back bro... I really missed u bhai...

Why did they ban u... ??

And the reason above is the same why i have been slowly keeping away frm this forum.

Anyways.. Plz do update my [this one] my fav thread.....

Xinix bhai you totally disappeared on me lol I had msgd you before, im not sure if you got it. I thought you left the forum or something lol I dont know the reason of the banning really and it does not matter much. Keep your feel threads coming, they are always a pleasure to read. Ill start updating this thread from tomorrow again :)

Interview: NAL's 5,000cr RTA-70 commercial aircraft programme
With both Boeing and Airbus predicting that India will need around 1,000 commercial jets in the next 2 decades and forecasting a domestic traffic increase of 10% to 12% there is little doubt that there is a decent demand for a regional commercial aircraft. After the unfortunate crash of the 14-seater, Saras plane in March 2009, National Aerospace Laboratory NAL is back with a more ambitious plan to build a larger 70-90 seater aircraft termed RTA-70. In this regard we spoke to QuEST Chairman Aravind Melligeri about the project.

: Please explain the current status of the RTA 70 project

Melligeri: The project is at a very early stage. NAL will build a design bureau and should plan on a quick initial configuration freeze after talking to potential customers. This will help it build a detailed business plan and seek appropriate funds and support from the government, as well as other risk sharing partners. This program is being viewed as a major public-private initiative. The challenge for NAL would be to design a plane from scratch and build it to be globally competitive standards.

: One problem with Saras was the 100% indigenisation objective whereas the world is moving towards a global supply chain. What are their views on working with external partners?

Melligeri: In discussions with NAL they have not given any indication that they would exclude anyone who can help provide the solution within the parameters. They want to ensure that the program is not under any risk that could arise from any embargos as well as that there are no black boxes in terms of transfer of technology.

This public-private initiative will help bring together the best in class of local and global talent for the design, development, manufacturing, serial production and program management of the RTA-70 programme. We from QuEST have offered the key stakeholders that we can support in these initiatives of tapping global resources for the success of the programmes. We have had some preliminary discussion with the RTA-70 program team from NAL in this regard. We are also sensitive to needs and the risk of embargo and will assit in safeguarding against these risks. NAL should not risk being on a learning curve with this programme.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Tata Lockheed Martin JV for aero-structures

Economic Times broke a story about Tata Son's intention to set up Tata Aerostructures Ltd, a JV with a subsidiary of America's Lockheed Martin Corp (LM) in which the latter will hold 26%. It was too early for either company to make an announcement, so the EcoTimes report would have got the details from FIPB announcments and hence did not specify exact details of the venture and when contacted neither company would comment.

Rumours were that this was in relation to the F-16 fighter tender but speaking to 8ak an informed source suggested that the deal was in relation to the US$300 million in offsets relating to Lockheed's US$1 billion sale of 10 C-130-J transport aircraft to India. The source said that the venture will focus on the manufacture of spar, floorbeams and ribs.

As per the Eco Times article Lockheed will invest 42.82cr in to the venture for a 26% stake. Despite pressure from the government, the Indian Ministry of Defence refuses to approve more than 26% FDI in defence and this will continue to result in ventures with the foreign investor not bringing in any significant technology.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Mahindra signs JV with UAE companies for vehicle armour, also aerospace ambitions

Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. along with its subsidiary MOICML (Mahindra Overseas Investment Company Mauritius Ltd.), Arabia Holdings and Ras Al-Khaimah Transport Investments LLC have signed an agreement to create a joint venture company in the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE for armouring of vehicles.

Mahindra & Mahindra, through its Division, Mahindra Defence Systems (MDS) has over the past six years acquired a leadership position in India in the field of vehicle armouring and brings to the Joint Venture its considerable experience in the design and development of ballistic kits for vehicle protection.

Arabia Holdings Ltd. has diverse business presence in the UAE in the business of transportation, logistics and real estate. They are based out of the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah and bring with them their expertise in exporting armoured vehicles from the local markets together with its existing relationship with various agencies.

Ras-Al-Khaimah Transport Investments LLC has been established by the Ras-Al-Khaimah Transport Authority for partnering with Mahindra and Arabia in the Joint Venture. The Joint Venture will cater to the high potential markets of West and Central Asia as well as Africa. The JV would launch a number of MDS’ armoured vehicles such as the Marksman, the up armoured Scorpio, cash in transit van, etc which have been very successful in India. The JV is being set up in the UAE because of the low cost of manufacturing in the free zone of Ras Al-Khaimah and owing to its proximity to the GCC countries, African and Central Asian sub-continents ensuring easy access to these markets.

Back
Top Bottom