What's new

India-Bangladesh to start CEPA negotiations, Indian exports to touch $32 billion

Growth comes with cooperation. Global companies would look towards Bangladesh only if they are assured that they have a big market next door. No matter how cheaper manufacturing in Bangladesh is, no company is going to go in to a country that has no market of its own for Western products or a market next door. This is a good cooperation between both countries with similar relationship as with China and Vietnam. Both benefits from it. Well done Sheikh Hasina, you are a true leader, unlike your stinking lungi countrymen.
Which large market near BD you are talking with enthusiasm? Is it the Indian market? India imports goods worth less than $2 billion and is now almost proposing to export $35 billion worth of goods to BD.

So, how do you think any non-Indian foreign companies to come and invest? They will go directly to India, produce goods and export them to BD.

This will make @UKBengaly smile sweetly.

She would have never allowed the Brexit vote!! 🤣🤣🤣

America is pushing for Bangladesh’s very own Brexit - it ain’t happening 😂😂🤣🤣

Her father was the great orator who rallied BD to independence and she is the great administrator who laid the foundations of a developed BD.

Truly a family that will go down in BD history as one of the greats.

How is India able to export so much grain when it’s per capita grain production is lower than BD?

Can someone please clarify.

It's because they have 20 times the cultivatable land Vs BD compared to 7 times the population.

The per capita output of Bangladesh is credit to it's amazing agri sector. We produce more from less space - but they have a lot more space.

It's because they have 20 times the cultivatable land Vs BD compared to 7 times the population.

The per capita output of Bangladesh is credit to it's amazing agri sector. We produce more from less space - but they have a lot more space.

I understand that.

But how are they able to export despite producing less per capita.

Whereas we have to import..

I understand that.

But how are they able to export despite producing less per capita.

Whereas we have to import..

I get what you mean but at a certain point overall scale matters more than per capita.

Their 10% surplus production is probably our entire yield. Whereas our 10% surplus would just about meet shortfalls for a bad year.

BD usually imports rice as a precaution and to avoid price inflation.

Most importantly - they also consume less rice per capita. We produce more per capita but consume even more per capita.

Last edited:

I was watching this YouTube documentary of Shykh Siraj where he was showing the practice of farmers in Southern Bangladesh continuing their 250 year old tradition of floating farms. This should be adopted in other parts of the country where possible, that way seasonal floods won't impact production as much.

There is an article in Reuters too on this:

As seas rise, Bangladesh farmers revive floating farms

I was watching this YouTube documentary of Shykh Siraj where he was showing the practice of farmers in Southern Bangladesh continuing their 250 year old tradition of floating farms. This should be adopted in other parts of the country where possible, that way seasonal floods won't impact production as much.

I love mati o manush.

Shiraj comes to U.K. regularly to learn about modern farming practices.

However, floating farms are only suitable for fresh vegetables.

There is so much of this kind of innovation in BD - vertical gardens, city farms, water farming.

BD agri output is 50% higher than India per hectare.

There is so much of this kind of innovation in BD - vertical gardens, city farms, water farming.

BD agri output is 50% higher than India per hectare.

The yield gap with India will only increase as BD mechanises and India is hit by water crisis.

Punjabi will be a desert by 2030.

I love mati o manush.

Shiraj comes to U.K. regularly to learn about modern farming practices.

However, floating farms are only suitable for fresh vegetables.

For now yes it is used for vegetables in Bangladesh.

But there are floating rice farms in existence too -

I am not sure if anyone in Bangladesh has done it yet, perhaps Sykh Shiraj can make an episode on it. For now in BD farmers mostly use water and salt-water resistant genetically modified variants to fight against flood and sea level rise.

For now yes it is used for vegetables in Bangladesh.

But there are floating rice farms in existence too -

I am not sure if anyone in Bangladesh has done it yet, perhaps Sykh Shiraj can make an episode on it. For now in BD farmers mostly use water and salt-water resistant genetically modified variants to fight against flood and sea level rise.

Beautiful!

Actually our climate is very suitable to grow maize
Don't know men, last year in winter season I used 1 acre of my farmland to grow corn and made an almost 15000 taka loss! Joy Bangla...
Actually our climate is very suitable to grow maize. Despite lacking modern farming practices, our maize yield is as high as Europe and US and more than twice of India. Our farmers are already producing more than 4 million ton maize a year. Mostly at Rangpur, Rajshahi and Khulna division. It will hit 10 million ton within a few years. If we want to become self-sufficient in meat production then there is no alternative but to increase maize production and future is bright for maize in BD.
Let see what happens...

Don't know men, last year in winter season I used 1 acre of my farmland to grow corn and made an almost 15000 taka loss! Joy Bangla...

Let see what happens...

In Sha Allah next time you will make profit!

I didn't know Southern districts of Bangladesh like Chuadanga are the ones leading in corn production. I always thought Northern areas are more suitable.

Sorry for continuing this off-topic discussion, but here is a feel good video of corn production and also local technological development helping farmers' lives easier.

How is India able to export so much grain when it’s per capita grain production is lower than BD?

Can someone please clarify.
Because its "Per Capita" - We have more people, so more excess grain. Though I will have to check if your data about lower production is right, I havent checked it myself.

Print some more Taka, then hope India will take that as payments !

Back
Top Bottom