What's new

India, Australia begin first bilateral exercise AUSINDEX to boost ties between the two navies

Jai_Hind

Reaction score
Country
India
48914504.cms

From Australia, Anzac class frigate, HMAS Arunta, oiler HMAS Sirius, and Collins class submarine HMAS Sheean entered the Visakhapatnam port

VISAKHAPATNAM: India and Australia on Friday started the first bilateral exercise AUSINDEX here in a bid to boost ties between the two navies.

From Australia, Anzac class frigate, HMAS Arunta, oiler HMAS Sirius, and Collins class submarine HMAS Sheean entered the Visakhapatnam port on Friday.

The exercise will include integrated operations with surface, air and sub-surface forces, planning and the conduct of anti-submarine warfare exercises, helicopter cross deck operations, surface and anti-air firing exercises, and seamanship exercises.

The exercise will comprise of a harbour phase, a sea phase as well as a debrief phase.

Australian Defence Minister Kevin Andrews on a recent visit to India said the objectives of the exercise was strengthening relationships and understanding of procedures through professional as well as social interactions.

He also hoped to enhance mutual understanding and cooperation through conduct of mission-specific briefings, table top exercises and scenario-based practical demonstrations and exercises, and exchanging professional views through sharing experiences on specific topics of interest.

India, Australia begin first bilateral exercise AUSINDEX to boost ties between the two navies - The Economic Times

Bilateral maritime exercise between India and Australia begins
Visakhapatnam, Sep 12, 2015 (PTI)
500571_thump.jpg

The Bilateral Maritime Exercise between India and Australia 'AUSINDEX-15', conducted on the east coast of India, began at Visakhapatnam today.

The week-long drill was inaugurated by Head, Navy Capability, Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Rear Admiral Jonathan Mead and Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet Rear Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh onboard the INS Shivalik.

"The maritime exercise was a tangible sign that will strengthen defence co-operation between the two countries as envisaged in the Framework for Security Co-operation announced by the Australian and the Indian Prime Ministers in 2014," Rear Admiral Jonathan Mead said.

It comprised two RAN ships - HMAS Sirius (fleet tanker), HMAS Arunta (Anzac class frigate) - and one submarine HMAS Sheean (Collins class submarine), he stated.

The event intended to strengthen maritime cooperation between the nations and further the ability to undertake regional joint and/or combined operations such as humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, he added.

"AUSINDEX-15 was a biennial event and being conducted off the East Coast of India from September 12-19 for the first time," Rear Admiral Ajendra Bahadur Singh said.

The exercise was aimed at strengthening professional interaction, both in harbour and at sea, and would be a start for attaining interoperability between the two navies, he said.

"Both navies have a mutual interest in promoting peace and prosperity in the Indian Ocean and this was a natural progression of our navy-to-navy relationship, given our shared maritime security interests," he asserted.

"The Indian Navy would be represented by INS Shivalik (stealth frigate), INS Ranvijay (guided missile destroyer) and INS Shakti (fleet tanker).

"In addition, one Royal Australian Air Force P3C Orion Surveillance Aircraft and the Indian Navy's P8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft will operate from Chennai during the exercise," he said.

The exercise would start with a 'Harbour Phase', encompassing briefings and practical demonstrations along with professional interactions. This would progress to a 'Sea Phase' which would include fleet manoeuvres, gun firings as well as coordinated anti-submarine exercises, he added.

An unconventional path to tread - The Hindu

14vzrdv01-An-un_15_2548222g.jpg

Lieutenant Commander Cindy Jenkins virtually lives off land, on water, on board the Royal Australian Navy ship – fleet tanker HMAS Sirius of which she has been second-in-command for the last one year, leading 73 crew members onboard, including a dozen women.

Inspired by her father, who also served the Navy, Lt. Commander Cindy Jenkins says that it is not tough to tread the unconventional path and make a mark in one’s chosen field. In an interaction with The Hindu , she shares what it means to achieve the much coveted rank, challenges faced and the myriad advantages of being associated with Navy. “The best part is that you get to visit distant lands such as Europe, Hawaii and India, meet different people and experience diverse cultures. Compared to Australia, Indian culture is more vibrant. I do look forward to sailing to India as I get a lot of attention and it makes me laugh,” she says.

Though this is the first time she is visiting the city as part of the maiden biennial bilateral maritime exercises exchanged between Australia and India, she says that she enjoys trying out the local cuisine that is a bit spicy and find people extremely friendly.

Exciting

She says that serving in the Navy is an exciting proposition for those who are ready to pay a price. And the biggest challenge is staying away from the family and their near and dear ones, not just virtually but physically as well. Is there any moment that she ever regretted her choice? “Yes, only when I feel sea sick, I regret what I do. Otherwise, I consider myself extremely fortunate,” says the Executive Officer (XO) who has been serving the Australian Navy for the last 18 years.

The XO says that nothing comes easy. “At the same time, nothing is hard to achieve either. Irrespective of gender, one has to tread the same path to climb up the hierarchy. There were times wherein we have to use common toilets in small ships. However, with supportive team who respects your privacy, every challenge turns out to be a learning experience,” says Lieutenant Commander Cindy Jenkins, who aspires to become a Captain. Eighteen years ago, she says that women constitute only 15 per cent in Navy and it has gone up to 19 per cent now.

Back
Top Bottom