What's new

India among the top three countries with HIV cases

ADT

BANNED
Reaction score
(Reuters) - India will have to scale up prevention of HIV to avoid having to spend an increasing share of its health budget on treatment of AIDS patients, the World Bank and other agencies said Sunday.

World | Health

New Delhi spends about 5 percent of its $5.4 billion healthcare budget on treating AIDS patients.

India with 2.5 million patients is among the top three countries with the highest number of HIV cases, alongside South Africa and Nigeria.

But with HIV cases showing signs of rising in the capital New Delhi, in the financial hub of Mumbai, in the north and the northeast, the cost of treatment in India could rise to $1.8 billion by 2020, about 7 percent of the total health expenditure, the World Bank says.

This would pose an enormous burden on the health care services and the budget in a country where malaria still kills hundreds of people every year and other health-sector challenges like non-communicable diseases are as sharp as AIDS, experts say.

More than 15 percent of the 200,000 plus injectible drug users (IDUs) are HIV positive in the country against a global average of 10 percent, AIDS experts say.

In some areas, HIV positive cases among IDUs have been found to be as high as 50 percent, health ministry officials quoting an ongoing survey said.

This rise could fuel the spread of AIDS unless checked, aid agencies say in their reports.

"What we are worried about, are the concentrated epidemics in the country, among vulnerable groups in districts," said Mariam Claeson, World Bank Program Coordinator (HIV/AIDS).

"Those concentrated epidemics can act as wildfires, and therefore need to be targeted with effective prevention efforts," Claeson, an expert on AIDs in South Asia, told Reuters.

Injecting drug users are infected by the virus by sharing needles with an HIV-infected person, and passing it on by having unprotected sex.

The World Bank says the poor risk getting poorer in India as AIDS patients get marginalized and face income loss due to their HIV status.

The World Bank quoting a recent study says in its report that about 36 percent of people living with HIV/AIDS in India reported an income loss and increased expenditure on treatment.

"HIV is not a major threat to the current economic growth of India, but the welfare impact is significant and HIV disproportionately affects the poor," Claeson said.

(Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

AIDS rise may force India to spend more: World Bank | Reuters

im assuming there are some parts that are more badly affected than the others.. i say this because in India thats one of the most prominent things, your in one region it will be all high and mighty, really developed you go into another you wouldnt believe your in the same country.. i guess the govt needs to pursue a more active policy regarding this matter

We agree this is a huge issue we are facing. Steps are being taken. What do you want to discuss? The thread starter is just another common troll looking for a flame war.

South Africa..........5.7 Million/48 Million = 11.88 Percentage of population

Nigeria...................2.6 Million/151 Million = 1.72 Percentage of population

India.......................2.4 Million/ 1140 Million = 0.21 Percentage of population

United States..........1.2 Million/ 307 Million = 0.39 Percentage of population

China......................0.70 Million/1325 Million= 0.05 Percentage of population

Russia.....................0.86 Million/141 Million = 0.61 Percentage of population

Brazil.......................0.63 Million/192 Million = 0.32 Percentage of population

France.....................0.12 Million/62 Million = 0.19 Percentage of population

List of countries by HIV/AIDS adult prevalence rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--------------------------------------------------

In total number India may have the 3rd largest pool but let me tell you India also have 1140 Million people- the second largest population. I do admire China in this regard tho since their aids population is very low. But the fact of the matter is its pointless to count numbers without conisdering the total population of the country.

see the differnce between South Africa, Nigeria and India now? In fact, India is about just as dense as France in HIV cases.

PS: I havent done the calculation for each and every nation, but If I were to.........u could see many nations beating India in aids density(that is per 100 human).

Last edited:
If u look carefully the %age population is least in india after china in the whole list.

You have to consider our huge population as well.

Yaa. Its a problem. Here all goverment hospitals in india provides free Test of aids . And many NGO working in creating awareness.

Recent legalization on homosexual activity will increase this number.

I think the main factor is public's unawareness regarding this deadly virus. Protected sex and not sharing the same syringe by the drug addicts is the main factors which will prevent the problem even further. In the west, same sex relationship is there for long time and legalized, but HIV is not bad compare to other places because of people's awareness.

People are going to engage in homosexual activity whether it is legally permitted or not.

Legalisation in fact will allow NGOs to spread awareness about HIV/AIDS among homosexuals and distribute condoms, something for which they had been arrested in the past.

This is also why the Health Ministry and National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) took a position contrary to the Home Ministry in the case before the Delhi High Court.

I hope India keeps its AIDS problem within its borders.

We agree this is a huge issue we are facing. Steps are being taken. What do you want to discuss? The thread starter is just another common troll looking for a flame war.

You are showing anger against this thread than read or accept this reality in India.

You are showing anger against this thread than read or accept this reality in India.

i accept it.It is a reality and a big evil. Steps are being taken, public awareness about the disease is being achieved. Government and health organizations has successfully preached the importance of safe sex, even in most rural areas. The situation needs time to improve, considering the nature of disease.

i accept it.It is a reality and a big evil. Steps are being taken, public awareness about the disease is being achieved. Government and health organizations has successfully preached the importance of safe sex, even in most rural areas. The situation needs time to improve, considering the nature of disease.

Good.
Thanks for understanding.
After all, every post or message dosen`t mean to hurt you.

Back
Top Bottom