What's new

India 37th among 102 countries on transparency list; US ranked 11th

xTra

Reaction score
Country
India
MUMBAI: India ranks 37th among 102 countries on the Open Government Index 2015, which ranks countries on how transparent their governments are and the ease with which citizens can hold their government accountable.

The report, released on Thursday by the Washington-based World Justice Project, is a perception survey that studied a random sample of the population in three cities in each country, and also interviewed country experts in the field of transparency.

The countries that topped the list were high-income countries such as Sweden, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands.

"When you take into account all the countries surveyed across the world, it is clear that richer countries rank higher on the index. This is obvious as they have more resources and more people connected to the internet. But when you remove high-income countries from the list, the correlation between a country's per capita gross domestic product and its rank on the Open Government Index disappears," Juan Carlos Botero, one of the report authors, said.

This is evident when one compares India with China. While China is on the list of upper middle income countries and India is on the list of lower middle income countries, India outperforms China by 50 ranks when it comes to transparency in governance, with China ranking 87th on the list.

The US ranked 11th on the index, despite the fact that the US government faced the heat over spying on its citizens.

"This study measures citizens' perception of their government and the ease with which they can access government offices and information. In other studies that we have conducted, such as the Rule of Law Index, the US does not fare well on privacy," Botero said.

Of the four parameters used to rank countries, India made it to the top one-third for publicized laws and government data, for which it ranked 27 but fared poorly on the right to information, for which it ranked 66. "This is particularly shocking as India has been one of the leading countries in the world when it comes to adopting the Right to Information Act," Botero said.

The survey was carried out in the city, Delhi and Bengaluru, and showed that only 1% of those studied had requested information under the act. "I'm guessing the figure would be a lot lower for the country as a whole," Botero said.

He said there was no correlation between a country having a right to information law and implementing it.

"Some countries, like Germany, do not have a freedom of information law, but score well on open governance. India, on the other hand, is in a better position as it has a strong transparency law. It now needs to implement it," he said.

The study showed that worldwide, 40% of those surveyed were aware of laws supporting their right to access government information. While 42% of men surveyed worldwide were aware of right to information laws, the figure was 36% for women. In India, only 26% of men and 18% of women were aware of such laws. Both gender and wealth play a role in information-seeking. "Worldwide, people who are more educated, wealthier, and male are more likely to request and seek out government information than those who are less educated, poor, and female," the report said.

Low-income respondents were less aware of their right to information in 80% of the countries, and were less likely to seek government information in 68% of the countries.

Source : India 37th among 102 countries on transparency list; US ranked 11th - The Times of India

Remove RTI...... India will be the last in the list...... No wonder Pappu was talking about it all the time with arnab.....

The countries that topped the list were high-income countries such as Sweden, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands.

Hmm let's see the salient features of these countries:

1- Small population
2- Peaceful neighborhood
3- Homogeneous population.
4- Common language.
5- No nuclear threat.
6- All converted countries.
7- No external intervention.

To be even 37th in this index with such countries is actually a pretty good score.

Remove RTI...... India will be the last in the list...... No wonder Pappu was talking about it all the time with arnab.....

It seem that you are an expert who can guise that on removal of some statute, what will be the Number of india in Index.

The fact of the matter is that we have climed good 30 numbers in the list. We were around 70th rank few years ago. With drive of new government in transparency, We shall climb further.

What's the use?

You file an RTI to know something about a bigwig, you get targeted.

RTI has no use unless it is for some mundane activity.

Pappu did nothing compared to the new mandate where a lot of public service information is mandated to be put on their department's websites.

It seem that you are an expert who can guise that on removal of some statute, what will be the Number of india in Index.

The fact of the matter is that we have climed good 30 numbers in the list. We were around 70th rank few years ago. With drive of new government in transparency, We shall climb further.

I got it....... I shall give credit to BJP too Happy???

What's the use?

You file an RTI to know something about a bigwig, you get targeted.

RTI has no use unless it is for some mundane activity.

Pappu did nothing compared to the new mandate where a lot of public service information is mandated to be put on their department's websites.

I never said it was pappu who did it..... Infact he did not have anything other than RTI to boast in his interview.......

Utterly useless report in any case fellows! Check :

"Scores are based on responses to household surveys and in-country expert questionnaires collected for the WJP Rule of Law Index."

Household surveys? Really? Then I know why France ranked so low : anytime you ask someone in my country about the government ( or pretty much anything else ), they complain as if their lives depended on it. Honestly, we're a country of rebellious … whiners!

I for one never had any problem retrieving information simply because I know what sites to visit like the one where all new french laws are posted in full text by our Assemblée Nationale ( Lok Sabha eq. ) despite us getting a 55% rating on accessibility to these?
So that this report is actually about how people see their government which quite frankly is about as interesting as my dead grandma's opinion on the 2020 American presidential elections!

Calm down and forget that sh1t, Tay.

Last edited:
I got it....... I shall give credit to BJP too Happy???

No you can give the credit to Papu and family Whose father was in top 14 people having huge money in Swiss bank and whose mother was declared 4th richest politician in the world by reputed magazine. His mother's family become 2nd richest in Italy. After all how the people like you can accept the truth.

RTI though a revolutionary act has its drawbacks ..Now you can find hundreds of lazy people shooting random questions at govt official at daily basis ..I myself facing lots of it on daily basis ..yesterday one question was "how many building licence has been issued in last ten years and give details of starting completion date with sketch and relevant estimate " To answer this activist I have to sit one week searching files without doing any other work . If you dont answer it within limited time activist will threaten you for money .All people not willing to do productive work have made this as a extortion bussiness.Finding an activist who has good intention for social welfare is extremely rare..All are either for money or for some other personal motive.Govt without providing any infrastructure passing popular acts will only weaken the system

No you can give the credit to Papu and family Whose father was in top 14 people having huge money in Swiss bank and whose mother was declared 4th richest politician in the world by reputed magazine. His mother's family become 2nd richest in Italy. After all how the people like you can accept the truth.

Credit should be given for RTI............ and my point was only wrt to RTI.....

Back
Top Bottom