What's new

Incredible: Abolition of the caretaker system

As I observe from the posts of Bangaldeshi posters from both sides of the political spectrum, neither the AL nor BNP, are angels.

When in power, they manipulate the system to suit their agenda and less to suit the National Agenda.

The caretaker govt is the ideal way how an election should be run in any country. Of course, the caretaker Govt itself should be free from political influences.

However, the last experience with the military caretaker govt was that they took their own time to return it to democracy or so I gather.

Therefore, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What is the way out?

Bro dont get fooled by what AL and BNP has to say about the last military backed caretaker government system. AL and BNP try to demonize the last caretaker system because they attempted to remove both political parties which would have been the best thing that every happened to the country since independence had they succeeded. If they did not intervene at 1/11 God knows where the country would have been. They pretty much saved the country from going down in flames. And now again the two glorious political parties are moving that way, and regarding the same issue. I hope both the parties get obliterated from the political scene.

Yep caretaker government is absolutely necessary in Bangladesh right now. AL is digging its own grave by trying to remove the caretaker government system. If things go the way they are AL has absolutely no chance whatsoever of winning the upcoming elections. The political situation in the country would have you believe elections are very near, while in reality it is still 2.5 years before elections, so why is AL getting all heated up right now?

You tell us.

The writing on the wall being seen by the AL?

Haunted by Banquo's ghost?

What I meant was bangladesh has good enough electoral system which will see that a party does not come to power through rigging. In a populous country you need rigging at very high magnitude to actually win a losing election.
I was calling you democracy mature now, because most people understand it, and it has a strong opposition which will not allow rigging by ruling party easily.
On the other hand caretaker system is a stop gap arrangement, probably for countries like egypt.
If your court is compromised and the election commissioner too, how would caretaker will be any better. But it will add an overhead of no decision being taken for few months, also risk of something going wrong.

And no gounder, I dont want any unelected person to rule us in India, even for short period.

A matured democracy? Good God, are you for real?

The move came after the Supreme Court declared illegal the 5th amendment to the constitution that legalised the military proclamations of late president Ziaur Rahman, the founder of BNP. Subsequently, the highest court struck down the 7th amendment to the constitution made by another military ruler HM Ershad and the 13th amendment that provided for the caretaker system.

After holding a series of meetings and consultations with political parties representing the present parliament, eminent jurists, personalities and editors of different national dailies, the special committee placed its report in parliament on June 8 with a 51-point recommendation for changes to the constitution.

However, the main opposition BNP and its alliance partners Jamaat-e-Islami and Bangladesh Jatiya Party did not join the consultation organised by the special committee.

Source: JS set to pass bill today to scrap caretaker system

Rigging elections is not a problem in Bangladesh. The AL are renowned for their violence during elections. Considering the number of AL sponsored criminals and terrorist groups running amok now, rigging elections won't be a problem. The courts won't be able to do anything. They just do what they are told to do by the government. So, their law is their own.

No party, including the military is going to accept a one-party Bangladesh. The AL aren't trustworthy enough. And neither the BNP.

The problem are not the BNP or AL. The problem are those two women and their greedy power hungry sons. Removal of those two was what the previous caretaker government tried to do. They failed to gather support due to their impractical approach to law and order. Hell, they even forced street hawkers out. I hope they become successful later. Looks like another 1/11 in the making.

Zabanya,

You paint a very grim picture.

I read in the Daily Star that because the AL lost the recent local elections, they unleashed the goons. Therefore, it must be true that violence can be the staple.

However, how can the judiciary (every Judge) operate under the Govt dictation?

There must be some semblance of law and order.

You tell us.

The writing on the wall being seen by the AL?

Haunted by Banquo's ghost?

Well some people believe AL is doing this so that people forget about other pressing issues such as inflation, law and order situation and so on. And there is another group which believes AL is doing this stuff because they already know there is no way they are going to win the next elections, so they ll try to win it by rigging; no shame in it, cuz every party in the country tried it, lol. However, if you ask me i ll tell you i dont know for sure.

Zabanya,

I read in the Daily Star that because the AL lost the recent local elections, they unleashed the goons. Therefore, it must be true that violence can be the staple.

Lol you know what, the chief justice is also a person chosen by AL themselves. The person who was in line for being the Chief Justice was skipped for no apparent reason and another person who is backed by AL has been made the Chief Justice. As a protest the person who was skipped resigned from whatever position he was, but AL really does nt give a sh!t. I ll tell you what, anything is possible in Bangladesh, lol. Infact this particular AL Chief Justice is also poised to be the head of the caretaker system in case the system is retained, and one of BNP's demand is that this dude cannot be the head of the CTG system. You do the math now.

Zabanya,

And how do you think they can pay local goons to carry out hartals?

That's the political reality. If 1/11 didn't happen, who knows that would have happened after. I think you understand the legacy of the AL pretty well.

Every political party has tried to rig elections one way or another. That is the reason why the CTG is there.

Leadership is not a position. Its is a two-way process. Those two haven't been showing that. They only worship money. Understand?

All is can say is that is it is scary.

Notwithstanding, I wish you all well so that BD becomes a stable, responsible and matured democracy that takes care of its people.

A matured democracy? Good God, are you for real?

I am comparing with recent democracies( which are less than 20 years old), have single party in power(virtual dictatorship), and no grassroot political mobilization.
Your democracy may look messy, but that is how it evolves. The catfighting between begums shows that democracy is in healthy state. :)
There is less chance of army taking over anytime soon, or even army dictating policies of your govt.
Look around in SE asia, you will see your democracy is in better shape than many others.
I was not comparing with UK.

I do not know if democracy will persist in Bangladesh, but I do know that this govt has to go at any cost. I do not remember the last time the law and order situation has been this bad. And SHAKE Hasina can publicly claim with a straight face that it is only her party which has never engaged in corruption since the birth of Bangladesh. Can you believe that? She did not even hesitate.

Pakistan also felt the same.

See what has happened to them.

Good men they are but they see saw from democracy to military and so on and still there is no stability or peace!!

Military is no answer.

People have to change and force the change.

People get the Govt they deserve, as the saying goes.

Bangladesh (like ours) would be best served by independent policy --free of outside meddling.

in Bangladesh's case, I hope to see them do more to resist attempts of arm twisting and threats by their increasingly troublesome western neighbour. Sad to see Bengalis (even children) being maimed and/or killed by india's border forces (sissies)

Who is meddling?

If you are talking about Pakistan, then if you have to survive on US munificence, you cannot complain. It is your own doing.

If you are talking about Bangladesh, if indeed India was meddling, then things would be different.

Your sadness is misplaced.

Your agony is to somehow act as an agent provocatuer and agitate the Bangladeshis so that they are in a mess and you can gloat over their discarding Pakistan and having their own country to chart their own course.

If indeed your heart bled, you could have given some constructive suggestions, rather than follow your Chinese friends, and give meaningless pious platitudes that are not worth the hot air emanating thus, in the same way the Chinese claim undying love and yet did nothing to assist Pakistan in her wars with India except mealy mouthed sagacious ronouncement that served neither man or beast.!

Bangladesh (like ours) would be best served by independent policy --free of outside meddling.

in Bangladesh's case, I hope to see them do more to resist attempts of arm twisting and threats by their increasingly troublesome western neighbour. Sad to see Bengalis (even children) being maimed and/or killed by india's border forces (sissies)

People who take all their cues regarding foreign policy from the US, who even go to war on other's behest, giving advice to others to think independently. How ironic.

Just like some countries practice Strategic Depth at the cost of poor their neighbours, even going to the length of harboring them in their own soil and legitimize it, I think India too is perfectly within its right to look after its legitimate interests in South Asia.

People who take all their cues regarding foreign policy from the US, who even go to war on other's behest, giving advice to others to think independently. How ironic.

I do not understand the love for Bangladeshis who have spurned them outright.

In fact, Bangladesh has put the Two Nation theory on its head and proved it false.

And then not only obeying the dictates of the US but killing Pashtuns who are of their own stock and religion at the behest of the US!!

Just an allegory to emphasise the adage that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones!

Back
Top Bottom