What's new

In Huge Defeat, Government Will Remove All Changes to Land Bill

@SarthakGanguly YOU are responsible for this mess.
Thank you. Yes, RSS did have a role and I am proud of it. I am also a fan of Arun Shourie and respect his judgment on this.
'It will now be upto individual states to pass their own laws for business-friendly land reforms'

I agree with this and the previous amendments by the Corrupt Government will be rolled back...and the states will have power to decide what's best. This, IMO, is the optimal solution. A central rule on land can't fit Kerala and Himachal alike.

The title is typically NDTV-ish. Huge defeat/big blow to Modi etc... these are common... for years now.

It is becoming clear that these people don't know how to govern. ANd to avenge the defeat they suspend 25 congress lawmakers. As if that will hide the fact that they have been defeated.

In Huge Defeat, Government Will Remove All Changes to Land Bill: 10 Developments

The original bill ensures the following -

>> Any large project would take four to five years to acquire land
>> This land would be expensive and hence make the projects unviable or unattractive for private investment
>> Middlemen would become unavoidable as any large acquisition needing 70-80 percent consent requires hidden persuasion, including bribes and strong-arm tactics.

To keep costs manageable, infrastructure builders would need to manipulate the accepted “market price” through bribery and corruption, because they are officially required to pay four times the “market price” in non-urban areas. The UPA’s bill was thus an open invitation to corruption and wheeling dealing in land acquisitions.

The illogic behind UPA's bill is that it makes no sense to demand a high level of consent when the purpose of paying two times market price in urban areas and four times in rural areas was precisely to over-compensate the unwilling sellers.

Accepting a super-diluted land law will be of no use in reviving industry or prising more unviable farmland away from those who cannot invest in it. So, it would be saner for the Modi government to simply withdraw the bill and try again next year when the atmospherics are better and the government's strength in the Rajya Sabha much improved. Trying to pass a hugely compromised bill that does no good will hardly be worth the loss of political capital and economic logic in making the effort.

The NDA should use the opportunity provided by defeat on the land bill to not just lick its wounds, but to rethink the bill from first principles. The UPA bill was guided by one reasonable motive and several petty political calculations, including the enrichment of its rural landlord base and winning the 2014 elections.

Every setback is an opportunity to think creatively. The Modi government should go back to the drawing board on the land bill and come up with a winner in 2016.

As for @Guynextdoor2 and other congress supports - at least for a while :D -

laddu.jpg

F61WN.png

When they have suspended the congress members, why did they do the U turn on the points which they had agreed earlier?
Or have they suspended congress MPs because they wanted to do U turn on these amendments as they were not getting a go ahead from their industrial masters?

I am with the government for throwing the unruly law makers but not on the already agreeed amendments. This is like they want to push some hidden agenda.

The original bill ensures the following -

>> Any large project would take four to five years to acquire land
>> This land would be expensive and hence make the projects unviable or unattractive for private investment
>> Middlemen would become unavoidable as any large acquisition needing 70-80 percent consent requires hidden persuasion, including bribes and strong-arm tactics.

To keep costs manageable, infrastructure builders would need to manipulate the accepted “market price” through bribery and corruption, because they are officially required to pay four times the “market price” in non-urban areas. The UPA’s bill was thus an open invitation to corruption and wheeling dealing in land acquisitions.

The illogic behind UPA's bill is that it makes no sense to demand a high level of consent when the purpose of paying two times market price in urban areas and four times in rural areas was precisely to over-compensate the unwilling sellers.

Accepting a super-diluted land law will be of no use in reviving industry or prising more unviable farmland away from those who cannot invest in it. So, it would be saner for the Modi government to simply withdraw the bill and try again next year when the atmospherics are better and the government's strength in the Rajya Sabha much improved. Trying to pass a hugely compromised bill that does no good will hardly be worth the loss of political capital and economic logic in making the effort.

The NDA should use the opportunity provided by defeat on the land bill to not just lick its wounds, but to rethink the bill from first principles. The UPA bill was guided by one reasonable motive and several petty political calculations, including the enrichment of its rural landlord base and winning the 2014 elections.

Every setback is an opportunity to think creatively. The Modi government should go back to the drawing board on the land bill and come up with a winner in 2016.

As for @Guynextdoor2 and other congress supports - at least for a while :D -

laddu.jpg

F61WN.png

I'm sorry but the idea that crporates don't try to use their muscle to get the cheapest is also a fallacy, currnet bill provisions of BJP go on to the extremes to give corporates several loopholes to exploit landowners. Effectively government and corporates can collude to set illusory low rates and give landowners a completely rotten deal. That does not help anyone. Growth is no use if it can't spread incomes. Else the country will remain poor and underdeveloped with a few wealthy people.

When they have suspended the congress members, why did they do the U turn on the points which they had agreed earlier?
Or have they suspended congress MPs because they wanted to do U turn on these amendments as they were not getting a go ahead from their industrial masters?

I am with the government for throwing the unruly law makers but not on the already agreeed amendments. This is like they want to push some hidden agenda.

The problem lies with Parliamentary Select Committee which will submit its report to the Indian Parliament - out of 30 members of the Committee only 12 are of NDA and the rest 18 happen to be in opposition of the 6 main amendments brought in the original bill. Though the incumbent government is not bound to strictly consider the report but still it holds high significance in this concern.

Though the real reason why the government has agreed to withdraw is more political than anything else - the bottom line is that the new bill will bring in more political disadvantage to the government than any foreseeable political advantage - Elections in states like Bihar are on their heads - The new bill has drawn criticisms from within the NDA itself and of course the RSS and its subordinate farmer unions - and the common farmers are genuinely concerned too. Though a much needed reform for the economy - it's not at all popular with not a single foreseeable political advantage to bank upon.

Thank you. Yes, RSS did have a role and I am proud of it. I am also a fan of Arun Shourie and respect his judgment on this.
'It will now be upto individual states to pass their own laws for business-friendly land reforms'

I agree with this and the previous amendments by the Corrupt Government will be rolled back...and the states will have power to decide what's best. This, IMO, is the optimal solution. A central rule on land can't fit Kerala and Himachal alike.

The title is typically NDTV-ish. Huge defeat/big blow to Modi etc... these are common... for years now.

When I 1st read the headline I was also very furious but the devil is in the details,finally Land laws will be framed by states for states :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

The problem lies with Parliamentary Select Committee which will submit its report to the Indian Parliament - out of 30 members of the Committee only 12 are of NDA and the rest 18 happen to be in opposition of the 6 main amendments brought in the original bill. Though the incumbent government is not bound to strictly consider the report but still it holds high significance in this concern.

Though the real reason why the government has agreed to withdraw is more political than anything else - the bottom line is that the new bill will bring in more political disadvantage to the government than any foreseeable political advantage - Elections in states like Bihar are on their heads - The new bill has drawn criticisms from within the NDA itself and of course the RSS and its subordinate farmer unions - and the common farmers are genuinely concerned too. Though a much needed reform for the economy - it's not at all popular with not a single foreseeable political advantage to bank upon.

Any reason why this is a badmove on the contrary it is a great move becuz it gives more power to states & they can frame land laws according to their own needs

and the common farmers are genuinely concerned too. Though a much needed reform for the economy
Actually we need to see one major example, one major benefactor - Shri Robert Vadra.

Land bills affect the states alone. They should be able to do what's required. If they want industry (ex. Maharashtra) they will act accordingly. If they want tourism (Sikkim), they need to have the power. Decentralized policies work best in a country as large and diverse as ours. A central policy looks good on paper but get blocked on the local level by unions, farmers, etc. This will benefit the industries as well - they will get to bargain better deals with states that are willing.

15 lakh per bank account is jumla
they prove at the end of the day congress reforms were indeed the best so they basically stalled it for no reason etc.
Well First Modi needs to provide Bank accounts to everyone.

I will reserve my judgement on the Land Bill being passed by the Centre till 2017. Let's see what happens once the RS majority is achieved.

Back
Top Bottom