What's new

In a first, Prepaid electricity meters to be installed across Pakistan

And have the cost of changing the meters nationwide being discussed? It will be in billions of rupees, massive!! Perhaps the same can be used elsewhere and the electricity theft can be resolved by making sure the policy (which is already in place) of jail time and fine is implemented.

The cost of the supply (line use) plus meter is built into your bill, the move will also lower utility's financial risk by making customers pay for energy before using it, in other words elimination of circular debt for good.

And have the cost of changing the meters nationwide being discussed? It will be in billions of rupees, massive!! Perhaps the same can be used elsewhere and the electricity theft can be resolved by making sure the policy (which is already in place) of jail time and fine is implemented.
I have been living with a pre paid meter for years.

The display unit at home shows the balance all the time. To recharge, there are any number of options. For me the easiest is to use an app called Paytm. By feeding in all details & making a payment I get a code which is fed into the display unit at home & the fresh balance gets displayed.

I get a some cash back too for using the app.

No bills , no meter readers & the electricity Co gets paid up front.

I once saw a tv program and this by the way was in 90s where in UK they showed prepaid meters for electricity. It had some sort of strip that you take out from the meter, go to your nearest store, he than swaps it and tells you the amount, you pay and come back and install the strip. Some one from UK can better explain but the point i brought this up is to show how backwards we are really when compared to the rest of the world. Prepaid meters should had been installed ages ago. Plus the excessive burden of meter reader and their corruption can also be saved. Here we had a meter reader as opposition leader of the house.
Yup that's exactly what happens both for gas and electricity , go to any store , top up your card insert in meter ( which has a lock although in England not many people would steal from a meter) , it's quite simple

The cost of the supply (line use) plus meter is built into your bill, the move will also lower utility's financial risk by making customers pay for energy before using it, in other words elimination of circular debt for good.
Cicular debt is not due to outstanding balances as on average they remain same, or increase only slightly , the issue of circular debt is due to non-payment of bills by government institutes, such as schools, colleges, government departments, street lights and other government organizations like PIA, Steel Mill ...

Real issue is power theft not payments, you can control payments by strict policies of disconnections at nonpayments of two consecutive bills ...

3 Sep, 2018

in-a-first-prepaid-electricity-meters-to-be-installed-across-pakistan-1535972465-7989.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Economic Coordination Committee of Cabinet has decided to disconnect electricity connections of consumers who fail to pay bills for three months.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the Committee, chaired by Finance Minister Asad Umar in Islamabad on Monday.

The meeting decided to install prepaid electricity meters .

It was also decided that an operational and financial audit of energy sector will be conducted.
How will check the meter speed? What is Pakistan standard speed for meters?

3 Sep, 2018

in-a-first-prepaid-electricity-meters-to-be-installed-across-pakistan-1535972465-7989.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Economic Coordination Committee of Cabinet has decided to disconnect electricity connections of consumers who fail to pay bills for three months.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the Committee, chaired by Finance Minister Asad Umar in Islamabad on Monday.

The meeting decided to install prepaid electricity meters .

It was also decided that an operational and financial audit of energy sector will be conducted.
Its so crazy it just might work
Lekin iskey baad saba bijli ja super card karwaya karey gi :-//
@PakSword @pak-marine @BHarwana @PaklovesTurkiye @django @Mentee

a kunda does not care what kind of meter you have, instead of going after the real problem which is enforcing the laws and punish thief they are investing more money in useless stunt. sit down in the assembly and make laws against power theft and enforce it

Those who want prepaid package will pay themselves for new meter

How will check the meter speed? What is Pakistan standard speed for meters?

Don't have much info but seems to be QSO certified and also, imported Meters from abroad. Current Electricity meters had a lot of complaints what you pointed out. However, above all, it is complex calculation of Units that most of consumers cannot understand at all.

a kunda does not care what kind of meter you have, instead of going after the real problem which is enforcing the laws and punish thief they are investing more money in useless stunt. sit down in the assembly and make laws against power theft and enforce it

That is also in consideration whereby, concern authority will act as per law. In my opinion, a task force has been assigned to draw possibilities to curb theft issue most urgently. Currently, people within power supply company are involved in corruption by favouring big wigs in lieu of heavy bribes/personal favours especially industries/factories that manipulates with unit consumption and then burdens economy.

Its so crazy it just might work
Lekin iskey baad saba bijli ja super card karwaya karey gi :-//
@PakSword @pak-marine @BHarwana @PaklovesTurkiye @django @Mentee
Arey log phir bhi bijli chori karainge..

I know a family in my previous neighborhood.. They turn the ACs on when they aren't at home even.. Some people say that they do it because they don't want ACs to take time for cooling.

I got them checked by KESC forcefully.. I tried to inform KESC several times, they were not acting.. then I sent an anonymous email to KESC and copied governor Sindh (Ishrat ul Ibaad at that time), CM Sindh, KESC CEO and many other people.. The next day KESC team came.. caught the family.. put some light fine, and went away..

Next week, the family again started electricity theft.. one of the maids told someone that they pay monthly 5000 to KESC guys to steal 25000 Rs electricity..

Kuchh nahi hosakta bhai.. pata nahi kia kia hai meter main.. meter bahir laga hua hai.. aik button hai kaheen andar ghar main.. woh button neechay hota hai tou AC direct hojatay hain.. upar hota hai tou AC meter pe aajatay hain.. lolll

Main ne bhi socha dafa karo jab KESC ko fikar nahi tou main kyun karun..

BS its not meters issue its line losses our transmission system is 30 years old and its big crocodiles whom did not pay bills . wapda workers have free electricity too

BS its not meters issue its line losses our transmission system is 30 years old and its big crocodiles whom did not pay bills . wapda workers have free electricity too
Sir ji.. it's theft.. theft ko line loss ke peechay chhupaya jata hai apna ullu seedha karnay ke liey..

New meters bhi kuchh nahi bigaar sakaingay.. itni harami awam hai..

Sir ji.. it's theft.. theft ko line loss ke peechay chhupaya jata hai apna ullu seedha karnay ke liey..

New meters bhi kuchh nahi bigaar sakaingay.. itni harami awam hai..
so they are wasting money as i said . society is rouge

Very good step. You charge a key and insert it into the meter to get electricity.

Back
Top Bottom