Norwegian

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Israel
‘Imran Khan is crushing the poor’: anger rises as inflation grips Pakistan
Shah Meer Baloch in Islamabad
Tue 9 Nov 2021 11.02 GMT
On Friday night, 27-year-old Asadullah, who sold old shoes on a cart, set himself on fire in the Pakistani city of Karachi.
Ghani, a relative, blamed the state of an economy where rampant inflation is hitting those least able to cope. In comments to local media, he said Asadullah used to get calls from his wife and parents asking him for money, but he could not afford to pay the rent and meet his own expenses and sending money back home was no longer possible.
“We can’t run our homes, that’s why Asadullah committed suicide,” Ghani said. “I know five more people who are fed up with inflation and want to end their lives because of skyrocketing prices. The government should have mercy and decrease the inflation.”
An economic meltdown is putting the Pakistani prime minister, Imran Khan, under immense pressure and bringing the threat of unrest as record inflation – the fourth highest in the world – pushes the price of sugar higher than petrol.
Before coming to power, Khan had vowed to root out corruption and lift people out of poverty as he promised a new and prosperous Pakistan with the creation of 10m jobs. Instead, after a visit to Saudi Arabia last month, he announced $3bn in financial support from Riyadh.
In an address to the nation last week, Khan blamed the opposition for past mistakes and inflation in the international market for the miseries of the people in Pakistan. He also announced a 120bn-rupee relief package providing subsidies on essential food items.
Khurram Hussain, an economic analyst, said it was not enough. “The package is a drop in the ocean and will do little to help the mass of ordinary people. The pressure on Imran Khan will continue to mount because we have seen further price hikes, such as of fuel and sugar, after the announcement of the package.”
He said inflation was imposing a crushing burden on ordinary people because it comes at a time of high unemployment and stagnant wages. Prices of some essential items, such as fuel and electricity, are unprecedentedly high.
The Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM), an opposition alliance, has announced a campaign against the government of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and the inflation rates the country is witnessing. A long march against inflation was also announced as a part of the campaign from Lahore to Islamabad.
It says ordinary people of the country will struggle to afford basic necessities if prices do not come down.
Two weeks ago, Mohammed Ghufran, 47, a shopkeeper in Mardan, Pakistan’s north-western province, was arrested after he went to a mosque and prayed for cursing the prime minister. Ghufran said he had seen a fall in the number of customers as prices went up. He talked about inflation to daily wage workers, who told him that they could not afford to buy food for their families.
“I rushed to a mosque and announced to the speakers that we should curse Imran Khan,” he told the Guardian. “The prime minister promised a new (Naya) Pakistan and that it would be a welfare state for ordinary people but he has done the opposite. He is crushing the poor.”
Ghufran said he regretted voting for Khan and “everyone I know who voted for him and believed in him” regretted it, too. “People in my neighbourhood supported my calls against Imran Khan after I was released in two days. We believe Imran khan should resign if he can’t control the prices of essential commodities.”
Three years ago, a sack of sugar (50kg) cost about 3,000 rupees (£13) but now it is more than 7,000 rupees (£30). “As he lied to us, I pray God would ask him,” he said.
A government employee, asking to remain anonymous, told the Guardian that the prices of necessary commodities had increased with little increase in income.
The government has failed to control inflation,” he said. “I could run my kitchen for 60,000 rupees (£261) three years ago and now I can’t do it for 90,000 rupees (£393).”

@blueazure @muhammadhafeezmalik @POPEYE-Sailor @Patriot forever @ziaulislam

Inflation at this very moment is a "Global Phenomenon" not just in Pakistan. IMHO w.r.t Pakistan the situation further worsens due to illegal "Zakheera Andoozi" which the Govt. should be cognizant of.

Can we please get the following data:
1.) Actual year to year prices over the past decade of basic commodities and petrol (with external debt)
2.) The above compared to global trends

Only then can we really dig in.

Till then, how much more expensive is a KG of wheat, rice, sugar, tea, etc., than 4-5 years ago? Does anyone know? At Utility Stores, e.g...?

Unfortunately for PTI, even many in the elite (let alone the middle class and the masses) don't understand fiscal and monetary trends and imperatives, so they really need to find a solution.

‘Imran Khan is crushing the poor’: anger rises as inflation grips Pakistan
Shah Meer Baloch in Islamabad
Tue 9 Nov 2021 11.02 GMT
On Friday night, 27-year-old Asadullah, who sold old shoes on a cart, set himself on fire in the Pakistani city of Karachi.
Ghani, a relative, blamed the state of an economy where rampant inflation is hitting those least able to cope. In comments to local media, he said Asadullah used to get calls from his wife and parents asking him for money, but he could not afford to pay the rent and meet his own expenses and sending money back home was no longer possible.
“We can’t run our homes, that’s why Asadullah committed suicide,” Ghani said. “I know five more people who are fed up with inflation and want to end their lives because of skyrocketing prices. The government should have mercy and decrease the inflation.”
An economic meltdown is putting the Pakistani prime minister, Imran Khan, under immense pressure and bringing the threat of unrest as record inflation – the fourth highest in the world – pushes the price of sugar higher than petrol.
Before coming to power, Khan had vowed to root out corruption and lift people out of poverty as he promised a new and prosperous Pakistan with the creation of 10m jobs. Instead, after a visit to Saudi Arabia last month, he announced $3bn in financial support from Riyadh.
In an address to the nation last week, Khan blamed the opposition for past mistakes and inflation in the international market for the miseries of the people in Pakistan. He also announced a 120bn-rupee relief package providing subsidies on essential food items.
Khurram Hussain, an economic analyst, said it was not enough. “The package is a drop in the ocean and will do little to help the mass of ordinary people. The pressure on Imran Khan will continue to mount because we have seen further price hikes, such as of fuel and sugar, after the announcement of the package.”
He said inflation was imposing a crushing burden on ordinary people because it comes at a time of high unemployment and stagnant wages. Prices of some essential items, such as fuel and electricity, are unprecedentedly high.
The Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM), an opposition alliance, has announced a campaign against the government of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and the inflation rates the country is witnessing. A long march against inflation was also announced as a part of the campaign from Lahore to Islamabad.
It says ordinary people of the country will struggle to afford basic necessities if prices do not come down.
Two weeks ago, Mohammed Ghufran, 47, a shopkeeper in Mardan, Pakistan’s north-western province, was arrested after he went to a mosque and prayed for cursing the prime minister. Ghufran said he had seen a fall in the number of customers as prices went up. He talked about inflation to daily wage workers, who told him that they could not afford to buy food for their families.
“I rushed to a mosque and announced to the speakers that we should curse Imran Khan,” he told the Guardian. “The prime minister promised a new (Naya) Pakistan and that it would be a welfare state for ordinary people but he has done the opposite. He is crushing the poor.”
Ghufran said he regretted voting for Khan and “everyone I know who voted for him and believed in him” regretted it, too. “People in my neighbourhood supported my calls against Imran Khan after I was released in two days. We believe Imran khan should resign if he can’t control the prices of essential commodities.”
Three years ago, a sack of sugar (50kg) cost about 3,000 rupees (£13) but now it is more than 7,000 rupees (£30). “As he lied to us, I pray God would ask him,” he said.
A government employee, asking to remain anonymous, told the Guardian that the prices of necessary commodities had increased with little increase in income.
The government has failed to control inflation,” he said. “I could run my kitchen for 60,000 rupees (£261) three years ago and now I can’t do it for 90,000 rupees (£393).”

@blueazure @muhammadhafeezmalik @POPEYE-Sailor @Patriot forever @ziaulislam
The journalist is clueless on global inflation and the impact of the pandemic on the economy.

Look at Hindustan. Don't need to go far. Prices are skyrocketing.

Western media loves to highlight Pakistan for obvious reasons. Create upheavel and instability. There is bad news for the West. Pakistanis aren't buying Western propaganda. The vast majority of Pakistanis are well informed by now. 20 years of continued treachery in Afghanistan was enough to educate the average Pakistani. The Western powers are desperate and fighting a lost propaganda battle in Pakistan. Pakistan fully belongs in the China camp. Just because Pakistan continues to have limited relations with Western bloc doesn't mean that it will sacrifice on regional interests. Far from it. Such one-sided propaganda will further damage Western credibility in many developing nations.

Last edited:
This is a excellent example that how imran khan is comparing with other nations without being realistic.... And making fool to own people...

There are many factor includes including per capita income... Etc.. Regionally, Pakistan is behind compared to India and Bangladesh..

The main factor of high food inflation is only... Incompetent of imran khan being a PM..

Doller sink is major factor and even it will reach to 250 pkr and petrol price will be around 250-270.... Again he will come and say, ghabara nahi hai... Still our Petrol price is cheaper than India and Bangladesh..
Look at Hindustan. Don't need to go far. Prices are skyrocketing.

Western media loves to highlight Pakistan for obvious reasons. Create upheavel and instability. There is bad news for the West. Pakistanis aren't buying Western propaganda. The vast majority of Pakistanis are well informed by now. 20 years of continued treachery in Afghanistan was enough to educate the average Pakistani. The Western powers are desperate and fighting a lost propaganda battle in Pakistan. Pakistan fully belongs in the China camp. Just because Pakistan continues to have limited relations with Western bloc doesn't mean that it will sacrifice on regional interests. Far from it. Such one-sided propaganda will further damage Western credibility in many developing nations.

calculated by what? Dollar price???

Kya bewakoof banate hai log.. :enjoy:

Opinion on PDF vs reality

Last edited:
Depression, sadly it is hard to recognize, accepted or treated even in Western World, properly or on time. What good did it do for his family at the end ?

Some will even say that he took the easy way out, though very violently on himself.

The fact the food prices are going up in many parts of the world is of zero comfort to the poor, destitute, and needy in Pak. The most affected are those from the middle and lower middle classes, lets hear from them on how they are trying to manage.

Maybe IK is not to blame for food and other inflation in Pak? maybe he is partly to blame? But as PM the buck stops with him. He needs to do what ever possible to help those in need.

The fact the food prices are going up in many parts of the world is of zero comfort to the poor, destitute, and needy in Pak. The most affected are those from the middle and lower middle classes, lets hear from them on how they are trying to manage.

Maybe IK is not to blame for food and other inflation in Pak? maybe he is partly to blame? But as PM the buck stops with him. He needs to do what ever possible to help those in need.

He can do more and he should. The economic situation also needs to improve.

Nevertheless, such Western sponsored articles are biased and have a certain agenda. The Western powers don't like assertive leaders in developing nations. Especially those developing nations that Western powers like to influence.

US/NATO are butthurt with Imran Khan. He has been a thorn in so many ways. From Afghanistan to China. Let's face it. The moment Imran Khan speaks up the Western powers don't approve his message of sovereignty and accountability. The Western powers love these things for themselves, but not for most developing nations.

When will the Guardian pen an article regarding the role of their government and spy agency for supporting Nawaz Sharif and Altaf Hussain?

Last edited:
This is a excellent example that how imran khan is comparing with other nations without being realistic.... And making fool to own people...

There are many factor includes including per capita income... Etc.. Regionally, Pakistan is behind compared to India and Bangladesh..

The main factor of high food inflation is only... Incompetent of imran khan being a PM..

Doller sink is major factor and even it will reach to 250 pkr and petrol price will be around 250-270.... Again he will come and say, ghabara nahi hai... Still our Petrol price is cheaper than India and Bangladesh..

calculated by what? Dollar price???

Kya bewakoof banate hai log.. :enjoy:

Opinion on PDF vs reality

STFU Hindutva rat. Quote me once more and I will decapitate you for fun.

The lack of a significant foreign currency surplus buffer combined with massive subsidies for an unproductive population is a recipe for failure.

IK has announced direct subsidies to the poor families with 30% price reduction in food (inc imported) for next 6 months. This programme is starting this month.

Back
Top Bottom