What's new

IMRAN KHAN BOOKED UNDER PAKISTAN STATE SECRETS LAW FOR ALLEGEDLY MISHANDLING SECRET CABLE IN 2022

K Shehzad

Reaction score
Country
Canada
RTSJ610N-imran-khan.jpg

THE POLITICAL CRISIS roiling Pakistan has morphed into a constitutional crisis. The dual crises were kicked into motion when former Prime Minister Imran Khan was removed from power last year and deepened with his recent imprisonment on corruption charges.

Last week, the Pakistani authorities moved to charge Khan under Pakistan’s Official Secrets Act for his alleged mishandling of a classified diplomatic cable, known internally as a cipher. The March 7, 2022, cable had been at the center of a controversy in Pakistan, with Khan and his supporters claiming for a year and a half that it showed U.S. pressure to remove the prime minister. Khan publicly revealed the existence of the document in a late March 2022 rally. In April, Khan was removed by a parliamentary vote of no confidence.
In the latest blow to the former prime minister, Pakistani authorities filed a First Information Report—aan official allegation—ccharging that Khan and his associates were “involved in the communication of information contained in secret classified documents... to unauthorized persons (i.e., the public at large) by twisting the facts to achieve their ulterior motives and personal gains in a manner prejudicial to the interests of state security.”
The official report, the first step to a formal indictment, alleged that Khan and members of his government held a “clandestine meeting” in mid-March 2022, shortly after the cable was sent, in a conspiracy to use the classified document to their advantage.
Earlier this month, The Intercept reported on the contents of the secret cable, which confirmed U.S. diplomatic pressure to remove Khan. The document was provided to The Intercept by a source in the Pakistani military. The formal allegation against Khan makes no mention of The Intercept’s publication of the diplomatic cable.

After the allegations about the cable were formally lodged against Khan this weekend, a wrinkle quickly appeared in the case. Pakistan’s legislature, widely believed to be acting as a rubber stamp for the military, recently approved changes to the state secrets law that Khan was being charged under. Pakistan’s sitting President Arif Alvi, though, denied on social media that he had authorized the signing of the amendments into law.

“As God is my witness, I did not sign Official Secrets Amendment Bill 2023 & Pakistan Army Amendment Bill 2023 as I disagreed with these laws,” Alvi tweeted, referring to another controversial new piece of legislation granting the Pakistani military sweeping powers over civil liberties. “However I have found out today that my staff undermined my will and command.”
The additions to the Official Secrets Act specifically target leakers and whistleblowers, outlining new offenses for the disclosure of information to the public related to national security and effectively criminalizing any news reporting that the military deems to be against its interests. Khan is expected to be indicted soon under the new law.

Alvi’s statement — that he had opposed the laws, but that his staff had apparently signed off on them without his consent — throws Pakistan into uncharted constitutional territory. Under normal circumstances, the country’s president is required to give final affirmation to any laws passed by Parliament.

Imran Khan’s Imprisonment​

Khan is reportedly under pressure while in government custody. According to media accounts, he lodged complaints about surveillance in prison, as well as the inability to meet with lawyers and family members. And Khan’s wife has expressed fears that the former prime minister could be “poisoned” in jail.

The former prime minister is currently serving a three-year sentence on corruption charges that his supporters say are politically motivated. As part of his punishment in that case, he has also received a five-year ban from politics, which is believed to be aimed at preventing Khan — the most popular politician in the country — from contesting elections slated for later this year.

Meanwhile, the crackdown on Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, or PTI, Khan’s political party, continued. On Sunday, shortly after Khan was booked under the state secrets law, his former foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, was arrested under the same statute.
In an interview with Voice of America last week, former Trump administration national security adviser John Bolton called for Congress to look into potential U.S. involvement in Khan’s removal. Bolton said that despite his differences with many of Khan’s policies, which included strident criticism of U.S. involvement in Pakistani domestic affairs, he opposed the crackdown by the military, saying “terrorists, China and Russia” could use the discord to their advantage.

“I would be stunned if that’s exactly what they said,” Bolton said of the cable text published by The Intercept. “It would be remarkable for the State Department, under any administration, but particularly under the Biden administration, to be calling for Imran Khan’s overthrow.”

RTSJ610N-imran-khan.jpg

THE POLITICAL CRISIS roiling Pakistan has morphed into a constitutional crisis. The dual crises were kicked into motion when former Prime Minister Imran Khan was removed from power last year and deepened with his recent imprisonment on corruption charges.

Last week, the Pakistani authorities moved to charge Khan under Pakistan’s Official Secrets Act for his alleged mishandling of a classified diplomatic cable, known internally as a cipher. The March 7, 2022, cable had been at the center of a controversy in Pakistan, with Khan and his supporters claiming for a year and a half that it showed U.S. pressure to remove the prime minister. Khan publicly revealed the existence of the document in a late March 2022 rally. In April, Khan was removed by a parliamentary vote of no confidence.
In the latest blow to the former prime minister, Pakistani authorities filed a First Information Report—aan official allegation—ccharging that Khan and his associates were “involved in the communication of information contained in secret classified documents... to unauthorized persons (i.e., the public at large) by twisting the facts to achieve their ulterior motives and personal gains in a manner prejudicial to the interests of state security.”
The official report, the first step to a formal indictment, alleged that Khan and members of his government held a “clandestine meeting” in mid-March 2022, shortly after the cable was sent, in a conspiracy to use the classified document to their advantage.
Earlier this month, The Intercept reported on the contents of the secret cable, which confirmed U.S. diplomatic pressure to remove Khan. The document was provided to The Intercept by a source in the Pakistani military. The formal allegation against Khan makes no mention of The Intercept’s publication of the diplomatic cable.

After the allegations about the cable were formally lodged against Khan this weekend, a wrinkle quickly appeared in the case. Pakistan’s legislature, widely believed to be acting as a rubber stamp for the military, recently approved changes to the state secrets law that Khan was being charged under. Pakistan’s sitting President Arif Alvi, though, denied on social media that he had authorized the signing of the amendments into law.

“As God is my witness, I did not sign Official Secrets Amendment Bill 2023 & Pakistan Army Amendment Bill 2023 as I disagreed with these laws,” Alvi tweeted, referring to another controversial new piece of legislation granting the Pakistani military sweeping powers over civil liberties. “However I have found out today that my staff undermined my will and command.”
The additions to the Official Secrets Act specifically target leakers and whistleblowers, outlining new offenses for the disclosure of information to the public related to national security and effectively criminalizing any news reporting that the military deems to be against its interests. Khan is expected to be indicted soon under the new law.

Alvi’s statement — that he had opposed the laws, but that his staff had apparently signed off on them without his consent — throws Pakistan into uncharted constitutional territory. Under normal circumstances, the country’s president is required to give final affirmation to any laws passed by Parliament.

Khan is reportedly under pressure while in government custody. According to media accounts, he lodged complaints about surveillance in prison, as well as the inability to meet with lawyers and family members. And Khan’s wife has expressed fears that the former prime minister could be “poisoned” in jail.

The former prime minister is currently serving a three-year sentence on corruption charges that his supporters say are politically motivated. As part of his punishment in that case, he has also received a five-year ban from politics, which is believed to be aimed at preventing Khan — the most popular politician in the country — from contesting elections slated for later this year.

Meanwhile, the crackdown on Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, or PTI, Khan’s political party, continued. On Sunday, shortly after Khan was booked under the state secrets law, his former foreign minister, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, was arrested under the same statute.
In an interview with Voice of America last week, former Trump administration national security adviser John Bolton called for Congress to look into potential U.S. involvement in Khan’s removal. Bolton said that despite his differences with many of Khan’s policies, which included strident criticism of U.S. involvement in Pakistani domestic affairs, he opposed the crackdown by the military, saying “terrorists, China and Russia” could use the discord to their advantage.

“I would be stunned if that’s exactly what they said,” Bolton said of the cable text published by The Intercept. “It would be remarkable for the State Department, under any administration, but particularly under the Biden administration, to be calling for Imran Khan’s overthrow.”
Utter nonsense. Will be quashed by the courts along with the 180++ FIRs. Work of the fascists continues.

Just because it has exposed the traitors in fauj, the chief included, and just because it exposed US badly in the regime change.

And the nexus between fauji generals and the US in regime change is exposed.

It's like criminals have been exposed and they are accusing the person who have exposed them.

Utter nonsense. Will be quashed by the courts along with the 180++ FIRs. Work of the fascists continues.
Disagree will not be squashed
Courts would have if they wanted to already

Even if a case suggesting he stole Aladin lamp is bought it will stand

As we already know that most of his cases are even more ludicrous including how this judgement was done

I expect a myanmur like situation next 10yrs with elite enjoying the show and ultimately Khan released in 2030 when bilawal gets a turn and he is too frial to be a threat (in his 80s) just like bacha Khan was

And I am afraid all of my predictions have came out true over the last 3 years ..

Asim munir will get a hefty another 6 years

Economy will remain a slow growing country like it has been..boasted by ample man power, remittances and cheap hydro electric power

On foreign land scape Pakistan will be a laughing stock like it has become...it's dispora will act like Iranian, myanemse and cuban warry about its country

FB_IMG_1687526176399.jpg

IMG-20230824-WA0045.jpg

Disagree will not be squashed
Courts would have if they wanted to already

Even if a case suggesting he stole Aladin lamp is bought it will stand

As we already know that most of his cases are even more ludicrous including how this judgement was done

I expect a myanmur like situation next 10yrs with elite enjoying the show and ultimately Khan released in 2030 when bilawal gets a turn and he is too frial to be a threat (in his 80s) just like bacha Khan was

And I am afraid all of my predictions have came out true over the last 3 years ..

Asim munir will get a hefty another 6 years

Economy will remain a slow growing country like it has been..boasted by ample man power, remittances and cheap hydro electric power

On foreign land scape Pakistan will be a laughing stock like it has become...it's dispora will act like Iranian, myanemse and cuban warry about its country

View attachment 948430
Let's hope you are wrong!

I have serious doubts bro. Historically judiciary has been a rubber stamp for the establishment. Although CJP could intervene but he has a limited time left before retirement.

I have serious doubts bro. Historically judiciary has been a rubber stamp for the establishment. Although CJP could intervene but he has a limited time left before retirement.
Yes indeed and a big test awaits the incoming CJ who in the past at international forums has directly blamed the army for what ails Pakistan 🇵🇰. HST he is no friend of IK. Interesting conundrum.

Yes indeed and a big test awaits the incoming CJ who in the past at international forums has directly blamed the army for what ails Pakistan 🇵🇰. HST he is no friend of IK. Interesting conundrum.
When envy of IK and that of army colloid we see envy takes more importance

It seems like Toshakhana case won’t stick anymore hence the need for the cipher case.

And when the cipher case won’t stick anymore there will be another case in waiting.

Meanwhile the duffers reputation increasingly goes down to the dogs.

RTSJ610N-imran-khan.jpg

What a joke of a country 😂

When envy of IK and that of army colloid we see envy takes more importance
My esteemed friend it is the whole mil-establishment which is afraid of One Man. They want to preserve their system of corruption and entitlements. PDM parties are the Sitaras of the mil-establishment and were used to entrap IK. So far they have succeded but remember the real power lies with the people and the ballot 🗳 box.

Only certain judges at LHC, IHC and SC are upholding the constitution and the laws of the country. Rest are Chaprasis of the fascist regime.
Wrong... They are playing good cop bad cop. It's a never ending drama in Pakistan orchestraded by duffers in charge.

Back
Top Bottom