What's new

Impossible Foods Launches in the United Kingdom

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

California-based Impossible Foods, the fastest-growing plant-based meat company in the U.S., is making its European debut in the United Kingdom this week with the launch of two of its latest products — Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets™ Made From Plants and Impossible Sausage Patties™ Made From Plants.

Both products will be available starting May 19 at restaurants across the country — including many of the UK’s best-loved chicken shops — offering Brits a plant-based chicken nugget that tastes better than the animal version. Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets are preferred two-to-one by UK consumers.1

“The UK has a unique and unrivalled chicken shop culture that we’re confident our nuggets will compete in because first and foremost they taste better, and they’re also better for you and better for the planet,” said Peter McGuinness, CEO of Impossible Foods. "And there’s more to come — later this year we’ll be expanding to supermarkets and rolling out additional products. We can’t wait for our friends and fans in the UK to finally taste our products.”

Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets first launched in the U.S. late last year, and quickly became one of the company’s top-selling products, and the fastest-growing brand of plant-based chicken nuggets in the category. Impossible Foods’ expansion to the UK marks the international debut of Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets outside of the U.S.

This is the fourth new market the company has expanded to in nine months, following the launch of its flagship Impossible Burger in Australia, New Zealand, and the United Arab Emirates last fall. The company plans to launch its full product portfolio in the UK, including products containing heme (soy leghemoglobin) — a key ingredient in the Impossible Burger and other Impossible products — at a later date.

UK Availability

Impossible™ products will be available in thousands of restaurants and foodservice establishments in the UK within a year, starting with more than 300 this month. Beginning tomorrow, the country’s very first Impossible™ dishes will appear exclusively on the menus of select restaurants and chicken shops, including Chicken Cottage, Halo Burger, Le Bab, MEATliquor, Patty&Bun and others.

Later this month, Impossible™ products will launch at more than 250 Hungry Horse pubs owned by Greene King, the UK’s leading pub company and brewer.

“At Hungry Horse, we’re big on getting together, and our customers come to us for the generous and unique food creations in a ‘home away from home’ environment,” said Robert Calderbank, business unit director for Hungry Horse. “We’re so excited to bring the Impossible ‘Chicken’ Nuggets to our pubs and really believe these will deliver on that promise, tantalising the taste buds of our customers across the country, we can’t wait!”

Chicken Paradise’ Launch Party

Impossible Foods is celebrating its UK debut with a launch party hosted by fictional TV character and bossman Chabuddy G, played by Asim Chaudhry, a star on BBC’s hit mockumentary People Just Do Nothing. The company invited hundreds of lucky Impossible fans to be among the first to taste Impossible™ products on UK soil at its “Chicken Paradise & Sausage Palace” themed event emceed by Chabuddy, which is taking place tonight at Maison Bab, a popular London restaurant offering modern gourmet kebabs.

“From the beginning our goal at Le Bab was to offer a new kind of kebab, fusing global influences with amazing ingredients, always with a mind to sustainability,” said Stephen Tozer, co-founder of Le Bab, Maison Bab and Kebab Queen. “Impossible’s products are extraordinary. I first tried Impossible years ago and it blew my mind. I’ve wanted to collaborate with them ever since, so this is a bit of a dream come true! I’m absolutely certain that their plant-based meats are going to fundamentally change the way the world eats.”

Better for You, Better for the Planet

Chicken is the most commonly consumed meat per capita in the UK,2 with three-quarters of UK consumers reporting that they eat animal-based chicken on a weekly basis, and nearly 90% saying they eat it on a monthly basis, according to an Impossible Foods study.2

Made for chicken-lovers everywhere, Impossible “Chicken” Nuggets require far less resources to produce: 55% less water, 24% less land, and 24% less GHG emissions than animal chicken nuggets.3 They feature a golden, crispy breadcrumb coating on the outside and a tender, juicy bite on the inside, with 13 grams protein per 100-gram serving and 25% less salt than animal chicken nuggets.5

Impossible Sausage Patties Made From Plants are also better for consumers and for the planet, designed to be conveniently slipped into a breakfast sandwich or enjoyed as a centre-of-plate delicacy. In addition to their savoury, delicious taste, they’re produced using 88% less water, 77% less land, and 47% less greenhouse gas emissions than animal pork sausages.4 They’re also packed with 5.6 grams protein, 2.5 grams fibre, and 1.1 milligrams iron per patty.

impossiblechickennuggets.png

impossiblesausagepatties.png

Impossible Foods
Impossible Foods logo.svg
TypePrivate
IndustryFood
Founded2011; 11 years ago
FounderPatrick O. Brown
HeadquartersRedwood City, California, US
Key peopleDennis Woodside (President)[1]
WebsiteImpossibleFoods.com

Last edited:

Inside Impossible Foods’ colossal US$4 billion empire​

Here’s how the business became the fastest-growing plant-based company that appeals to meat-eaters.

Impossible Foods

Meat has been a dietary staple for as long as humans have been roaming this Earth. Google just about any seasoned chef and you’ll find their recipes almost always revolve around seafood, chicken or lamb.

The question is how can we continue to enjoy the texture, flavour and heartiness of meat without impacting the planet?

For Nick Halla, Senior Vice President of International at Impossible Foods, the answer is obvious – switch to plant-based alternatives that are indistinguishable from animal meat.

“Our plan is to produce a full range of meat and dairy products for every region in the world,” he says. “More and more, meat eaters are looking for ways to enjoy the meat-forward dishes they know and love, but with far less impact on their health and the environment.”

With its products on the shelves of almost 25,000 supermarkets across Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Canada, the UAE, Australia and New Zealand, clearly Impossible Foods is doing something right – or perhaps something entirely different.

“Our products have the versatility to be used in everything from pizza and tacos to dumplings and meatballs, and each market has its own unique take on how to use Impossible products in their cuisine and traditions,” Halla explains.

It was in his final year of graduate school at Stanford University that Halla became acquainted with Patrick Brown, a Professor of Biochemistry, who introduced him to the idea of developing a technology capable of out-competing animals in the food chain.

“I was shocked to learn what an enormous impact animal agriculture has on the planet – it uses close to 45 per cent of the global land surface, produces more greenhouse gases than all the transportation systems combined, uses more than 25 per cent of the fresh water used each year, and is by far the biggest driver of water pollution, species loss, and land degradation,” Halla says.

With a background in sustainable technologies, farming and commercial food development, Halla seized the opportunity around 10 years ago to transform the global food system by becoming Impossible’s first employee.

“I realised that the impact I could have working with Pat in creating Impossible Foods could be so much greater than if I just went to work at another solar company,” he recalls.

With technology driving the company’s goal of offering a better alternative to its meat counterparts in every market around the globe, Halla and Brown – Founder and CEO of Impossible Foods – are challenging the notion that meat must come exclusively from animals.

“Our food tech platform enables us to understand and reverse-engineer many animal products from plants, and we already have work underway in nearly every major product category,” Halla says.

Designed to be scaled and overcome many of the challenges that the meat industry faces from dealing with live animals, the technology of Impossible Foods is designing and bringing next-generation products to global consumers.

As a result, the business is not only the fastest-growing plant-based company, according to Halla, but it’s also backed by celebrity investors, including Serena Williams, Katy Perry and Bill Gates.

“Three of the products we’ve released in the last year actually out-performed the animal versions in consumer taste tests,” Halla recalls.

The star ingredient that is helping the company to achieve the impossible is heme – the iron- containing molecule that makes meat so appealing to us.

However, producing heme sustainably at scale wasn’t the easiest process. “At first, we tried extracting it directly from soybean root nodules, but we quickly discovered that we needed a more scalable process for producing it,” Halla reflects.

In the end, proprietary technology proved to be the ideal solution for manufacturing heme in large quantities with less impact on the environment.

“This approach allows us to produce a lot of heme with an extremely small environmental footprint, using a tiny fraction of the land, water and resources that would be required to produce heme from farming individual soybean plants,” he says.

However, Halla also attributes the company’s success to the rigorous research that was initially undertaken.

“We hired a robust R&D team early on and devoted the first five years of our business to pure research and development, understanding how meat behaves at the molecular level and how to re-create that experience with plant ingredients,” he explains.

Thanks to investing in this kind of innovation, consumers in some of the world’s highest meat-consuming countries – notably Australia and New Zealand – have taken to Impossible beef, pork, sausage and chicken, which can be adapted to just about any type of cuisine and cultural food preference.

Currently, Impossible beef is available in about 800 Woolworths stores in Australia and 200 Countdown supermarkets in New Zealand.

Interestingly, while Impossible Foods’ core audience are meat enthusiasts, many haven’t necessarily converted to veganism or a vegetarian diet.

“Our products are largely being purchased by meat eaters, not vegans or vegetarians, which shows that meat lovers are making the choice to at least supplement their diets with meat alternatives.”

For Halla, making the switch to plant-based products does more than enable a more sustainable and healthier food system.

“In a carbon market, where carbon is priced at US$50 per ton of CO2, farmers have an opportunity to make more money than they do today by facilitating landscape restoration and biomass recovery on their land instead of using it to raise livestock,” he explains.

Halla himself grew up on a farm, which he believes is not at all dissimilar to developing a startup where everyone is contributing with very little resources. “Farming also taught me a lot about business because it’s a very direct form of entrepreneurship,” he says.

“You have to do everything with very little money, which teaches you a lot of creativity, resourcefulness and determination,” Halla reflects. “Similarly, when we first started Impossible Foods, we had to be scrappy and find super-creative ways to problem-solve on the way to developing our first prototype.”

Has anyone tried lab grown meat? How is it compared to the original?
I for one would like to surely try this when it becomes available in my country. Have been looking to wean myself off slaughtered animals but finding it very difficult

Has anyone tried lab grown meat? How is it compared to the original?
I for one would like to surely try this when it becomes available in my country. Have been looking to wean myself off slaughtered animals but finding it very difficult

I have a bag of the Impossible chicken nuggets right infront of me and like the guy in the video above says it tastes like a regular chicken nugget. It doesn't taste better or worse.

Same with the burgers. If nobody told you it wasn't beef you probably wouldn't notice.

Last edited:
One of these days when I get over my psychological perception, I'm going to give some of those nuggets a try

I have a bag of the Impossible chicken nuggets right infront of me and like the guy in the video above says it tastes like a regular chicken nugget. It doesn't taste better or worse.

Same with the burgers. If nobody told you it wasn't beef you probably wouldn't notice.

Don't eat that. It's full of bad vegetable oils, high in estrogen which will lower your testosterone.

Wait until lab grown meat becomes a thing. Vegetable based substitutes are bad for you

Back
Top Bottom