What's new

"I'm a victim of racism in India": North Eastern state Mizoram Chief Minister

Status
Not open for further replies.

Communist

Reaction score
I'm a victim of racism in India: Mizoram CM - India - The Times of India

I'm a victim of racism in India: Mizoram CM

SINGAPORE: At a time when racial attacks against Indian students in Australia have attracted comments from the top leadership in both countries, Mizoram chief minister Pu Lalthanhawla on Thursday said he too was a victim of racism - but in India.

Speaking at a conference on water at the Singapore International Water Week, the chief minister said: "In India, people ask me if I am an Indian."

"When I go south, people ask me such questions. They ask me if I am from Nepal or elsewhere. They forget that the northeast is part of India. I have told many that see, I am an Indian like you," Lalthanhawla said.

"I am a victim of racism," he said. Indians consist of three races - "Dravidians, Aryans and we in the northeast," Lalthanhawla said.

Though many northeastern students complain of such discrimination in places like New Delhi, a state chief minister speaking in an international podium about an issue unrelated to the subject concerned was not liked by other Indian delegates present.

"This is unfair. We Indians are always divided and this is visible in a water event too. Many Australians must be feeling happy here," said an Indian delegate requesting anonymity.

Race hain sasoon ki....:D

Mizoram Chief Minister Lalthanhwla today said people sometime confuse him for a Nepalese because of his looks.

"When I am on tour, sometime people ask me whether I am an Indian or from Nepal. But I always explain to them that India is a vast country. Its population belong to three races -- Aryan, Dravidian and Mongoloid.

"And we people from Northeast belong to the Mongoloid stock," Lalthanhwla said when asked whether he had ever experienced any racial behaviour anywhere because of his looks.

Last edited:
Mizoram chief minister Pu Lalthanhawla on Thursday said he too was a victim of racism - but in India.

when asked whether he had ever experienced any racial behaviour anywhere because of his looks.

"But I have never become a victim of racism," he told PTI.

Nice find.. go on..

Well people from the North East look considerably different than the majority of the population, and they are also small in number, so its easy to confuse them for Nepalis because most people in India wouldn't have seen anyone from the North East. The country is getting more integrated though, so hopefully that changes.

But how is that racism? it would be racism if people assaulted him for looking different, its ignorance at best.

Mizoram chief minister Pu Lalthanhawla on Thursday said he too was a victim of racism - but in India.

when asked whether he had ever experienced any racial behaviour anywhere because of his looks.

Nice find.. go on..

Mr Ironman or whoever else,

You are going against the forum rules. Do not use red ink. Red font color is exclusively for the mods' usage.

Well people from the North East look considerably different than the majority of the population, and they are also small in number, so its easy to confuse them for Nepalis because most people in India wouldn't have seen anyone from the North East. The country is getting more integrated though, so hopefully that changes.

But how is that racism? it would be racism if people assaulted him for looking different, its ignorance at best.

I do not know. Ask your own CM. He claimed that he himself is the victim of racism in India.

The North East was not India. Read the history book once again. The British annexed the NE with India.

Race hain sasoon ki....:D- read your own post:hitwall:

Mizoram Chief Minister Lalthanhwla today said people sometime confuse him for a Nepalese because of his looks.

"When I am on tour, sometime people ask me whether I am an Indian or from Nepal. But I always explain to them that India is a vast country. Its population belong to three races -- Aryan, Dravidian and Mongoloid.

"And we people from Northeast belong to the Mongoloid stock," Lalthanhwla said when asked whether he had ever experienced any racial behaviour anywhere because of his looks.

:hitwall:
The Chief Minister is here to attend a conference on water at the Singapore International Water Week in which he had delivered a similar speech today.

so you dont read anything you post ,, if you find tiniest thing for india bashing you go for it dont you ----- well stop making a fool of your self any post something worthy of being discussed

so you dont read anything you post ,, if you find tiniest thing for india bashing you go for it dont you ----- well stop making a fool of your self any post something worthy of being discussed

Thats what I wanted to point out. The Times of India headlines says something different.

no this is an issue i have been hearing. Why can't we stop being ignorant. If any body from NE comes we call them chinkis and i hear stories about harassment. We are the biggest hypocrites in this regard. We have to educate ourselves more of our country before preaching others. However i have friends from north east and i haven't found any descrimination against them. But its always on the news. And we have to be more aware when we deal with people be it NE or bihar or south.

And i don't think its a matter we can pass off because it comes from Communist even though he have his own agenda. But this is a topic is worth discussing among indians, a little introspection wouldn't harm anybody.

^^ Well its a ToI article, so I guess they are trying to spread awareness, which is good. India has many minorities and so there's bound to be at least a little bit of friction. Desi's do tend to be slightly insensitive to minorities, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it racism, because people aren't really assaulted, but they certainly aren't made to feel very comfortable either.

So I do agree with you, more should be done to integrate everyone into the mainstream, we can't afford to let anyone feel left out.

^^ Well its a ToI article, so I guess they are trying to spread awareness, which is good. India has many minorities and so there's bound to be at least a little bit of friction. Desi's do tend to be slightly insensitive to minorities, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it racism, because people aren't really assaulted, but they certainly aren't made to feel very comfortable either.

So I do agree with you, more should be done to integrate everyone into the mainstream, we can't afford to let anyone feel left out.

Yeah majorily its lack of awarness..!!! We don't know that, merely asking them if they are from Nepal itslef is an insult to their patriotism.
I hope more discussions occur on this regard else silently without knowing they would be alienated from the rest of the nation beyond a chance to rectify ourselves.

The North East was not India. Read the history book once again. The British annexed the NE with India.

Oh really?

"When I go south, people ask me such questions. They ask me if I am from Nepal or elsewhere. They forget that the northeast is part of India. I have told many that see, I am an Indian like you," Lalthanhawla said.

Owned by your own post? Ouch.

Communist...I do not see how this is racism in any form....but somehow the article seems to have made a believer of you......

I see this as an attempt by the CM to gain much needed moolah for development for AP that is long overdue....

Who knows maybe this article will awaken a few who have been ignoring the East of development fearing a chinese attack....Just My opinion

I feel not many people have visited or met people from the NE which results in such feelings.....even within India, people to people contact needs to improve...

However very poor show from the CM to speak about this at an international event.... especially when you are representing India!!!

"I am a victim of racism," he said. Indians consist of three races - "Dravidians, Aryans and we in the northeast," Lalthanhawla said.

I will never understand the indian defination of race.

So what race is he and how is he different from other indians?:

Atal Bihari Vajpayee
13th & 16th Prime Minister of India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom