What's new

Illegal Indian immigrants in London slums: Report by NDTV & BBC

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Illegal Indian immigrants in London slums: Report by NDTV & BBC

NDTV Report

For many Indian citizens who braved hazardous journeys across continents and wily human traffickers with hopes of a better life, their 'London dream' has turned into a veritable nightmare, and they are now reduced to living in slum conditions in the United Kingdom.

While Indian professionals and entrepreneurs take over UK companies and buy properties in London and elsewhere in large numbers, this nether world of the 'India story' provides a different picture.

On any given day, you can see the illegal Indians huddled together along with a significant number of Indian origin people, in parts of London and other towns such as Leicester, Birmingham and Manchester. In popular parlance, the illegal Indians are pejoratively called 'faujis'.

Steeped in drugs, drinks and despair with empty, forlorn looks on their faces, many of these are desperate to return to India, but feel trapped because they can't.

Unemployed and in difficult economic conditions, many are ashamed to return to their families in India, who in many cases had sold their assets to finance their travel to Britain, empty-handed and as failures.

Others can't return because they have destroyed their Indian passports to prevent deportation. Re-establishing their identity to obtain new travel documents from the Indian high commission in UK can take a long time.

Savyasaachi Jain, noted film-maker who produced the acclaimed documentary titled 'Door Kinare' (Shores Far Away), while highlighting the plight of illegal Indian immigrants, told Press Trust of India that those who had their dreams shattered wanted to warn others "not to be mad" to try and come to Britain.

He said: "When I was making my film, I met many men who were destitute. They were living on the fringes of British society, homeless and sleeping rough. They weren't making any progress here, and neither were they able to go back to return home without having been successful would mean a huge loss of face, apart from the loss of the amount invested in travel."

"It's a very desperate and stressful situation, and drug and alcohol abuse is common. These people are not criminals; they are enterprising young men who set out to make their fortune. But in this country they have no social capital, nobody to turn to," he said.

Mr Jain added that they don't have the support networks that they would have in their villages back home.

Many survive on free food provided by temples and gurudwaras in London and other towns, while a charity organisation, Sikh Welfare Awareness Team (SWAT) provides clothing and food to the illegal Indians barely eking out a living in west London.

Amidst economic downturn, official figures show that the number of Indians and other foreign nationals volunteering to be deported to their countries has increased in recent years, from 335 in 2005 to 15,537 in 2010.

Young Punjabi illegal immigrants in UK desperate to return home

BBC Report

The BBC has spoken to illegal immigrants who find themselves living amongst rats and rubbish in makeshift garden sheds and garages. They want to be deported back to India, but many are trapped in a bureaucratic no man's land without any documents.

Jagdeesh pulls away a piece of cardboard revealing a tiny hole in a concrete wall. He invites me to climb through, declaring: "This is my home, come in."

As I crawl into the derelict garage in west London, the torchlight reveals half the roof is missing, a floor littered with rubbish, and rats scurrying away.

The 22-year-old illegal immigrant jumps on to a mattress in the corner. His makeshift bed is protected from the elements by plastic sheeting.

Jagdeesh's family paid £10,000 to traffickers who promised a better life and smuggled him from India to Britain with dozens of others in the back of a lorry.

"I was told that life was good here. It's not just me, other boys came for work," he says. "You can see what state we're in, there's no work, no government help."

Jagdeesh has cut himself off from his family, saying he is ashamed of his failure to find work and would rather they thought he was dead than knew he was living in *****.

"They sold land and took out loans to get me out of India. What can I say to my family back home? The money we've invested is lost," he says.

Out of work, penniless and 4,000 miles from home, Jagdeesh has handed himself in for deportation.

It is barely dawn as Jagdeesh and hundreds of other illegal immigrants from India descend on a car park outside Southall train station in west London.

They stand in silence, shivering in the bitter cold. This car park was once a busy pick-up point for cheap illegal workers before the work slowed down in the economic downturn.

It is mid-morning by the time a van swings into the car park. Suddenly dozens of men rush towards the driver's window offering their skills, shouting above each other.

"I make a good plumber," shouts one. "I work hard boss, 12 hours for £20," shouts another.

Several men scramble for a place in the back of the van, pushing others out of the way, then the van speeds off. For those left behind, there will be no more offers of work that day.

Surinder, 33, also from Southall, arrived in the UK more than 10 years ago. There was a time when he made £300 a week working six days as a heating engineer, but he is now living in the poverty he came here to escape.

He heads back to the home he shares with several other illegal immigrants - a tiny, poorly constructed building in his landlord's garden. Inside, there are three beds and a cooking area.

"We can barely make ends meet. It's been two months and we've only worked four days, what can we do?" he says.

He throws his work overalls on to a scruffy sofa as if to show his frustration.

"We have to pay the landlords, there are four or five us, and so we club together to pay it."

The rent is £800 a month. Landlords appear to be prepared to risk housing illegal immigrants for an inflated price.

They have been told not to open the door to anyone in case they are planning or immigration officials, but we obtained access by posing as volunteers offering food and blankets.

The immigrants complain of damp, cramped conditions, but being exploited by their own people angers them most.

"Our people who are here legally, permanent residents, who've made homes here, they've paid for their houses because of us," Jandeep says angrily.

"Their mortgages are paid because they charge a high rent. Everyone who lives here is Punjabi."

Row after row of terraced houses in this predominantly Asian area of west London are housing illegal immigrants in back gardens, creating slum-like areas.

Local councils estimate there are 10,000 sheds concealed from view across London and the Home Counties, lining networks of alleyways.

Council planning officers and immigration agencies are using satellite images to document them.

But Ealing Council, which is responsible for the area we visited, is calling on the government for greater powers to inspect these buildings.

Local councils often have to give 24 hours' notice to landlords and tenants for inspection, which gives them plenty of time to clear evidence.

Sheds with beds are the last resort for migrant workers. Surinder plans to head back to India before he ends up on the street, even if he has to pay traffickers to help him.

"If I don't go back while I still have some money, it's over for me, then it's drink, drugs and no way home," he says.

We found many homeless communities sheltering in blankets and boxes in Southall under a network of motorway and canal bridges.

But like many illegal immigrants, they are stuck in a bureaucratic no man's land. Their traffickers instructed them to destroy their identity papers to make deportation difficult.

Now they are pleading to be sent back to India, but without their ID the process is slow.

Many have slipped into a destructive cycle of alcohol and drug abuse. Jaspal, 21, was jailed for shoplifting and is now back on the streets and back on heroin.

"I want to go back, they arrest me and I tell them 'Send me back', but they won't - because I have no passport - even though I spent one year in prison," he says.

"I can't sleep outside without drugs and I can't turn to my family for help. They spent thousands sending me here. It will cause too much tension."

Then Jaspal climbs under his blanket for one last hit to get him through the night.

Their only source of food and clothing comes from a local charity, the Sikh Welfare Awareness Team.

"They seem to be growing in number, the situation is getting worse but they have no choice but to live on the streets," says volunteer Randeep Lall.

"Their cases have been logged with the UKBA, but the Indian High Commission is dragging its feet. It's disgusting they are being left to live like this. It's a mess."

The UK Border Agency admits establishing the identity of illegal immigrants in order to issue them with emergency travel documentation can be complex.

A spokesman told the BBC: "The time it takes to obtain these documents varies and we continue to work with the High Commission of India to speed up this process."

Buta, who is in his 30s, has been waiting for three years. Each morning he cleans his teeth using a fresh water tap in the local cemetery.

Barely sober, he makes his way to Southall train station hoping to get work - he will take any wage to buy his next drink.

"I'd rather God took me, then I'd be okay. Nobody listens to me... I have nothing left to live for."

BBC News - The illegal immigrants desperate to escape squalor of Britain

_58752294_jex_1333766_de37-1.jpg

This is sad - but the worse part is hearing how fellow countrymen are exploiting them.

well the sad part of the story is... Asian migrants arrive in UK... mostly on student visa are unable to find a suitable job. The Asian employees force them to work 12 hours a day (illegally) and pay 3x less wages comparing to the British citizen. They work probably 1.5x more than British Citizens and earn 3x less than that. Its a sad truth and only we Asians are to blame for this.

No "Gora" would recruit students / illegal immigrants for more than its allocated hours of work per week... but we Asians give them nothing and take the full advantage of their helplessness. I have seen some Indian guyz coming on my uncle's garage or General store where some of the Indians guyz asked for a job just to feed themselves for a day. They are willing to work free of cost if they are given free meals for twice a day.

The circumstances in UK and Europe are no longer like it were 5 years ago.

It's horrible - some have paid thousands to agents to get into the west.

I saw this documentary in BBC world 3 days back - Some of these guys are 22 years old and how they want to get back to India - because they have destroyed the document they can't go back and it will take them years to get all the documents.

Very sad indeed. Atleast others will see that it the situation in European countries are not rosy any more and it is in India things are happening.

They sell off their lands to pay the agents for 10000 pounds but they do not realise that the land prices are becoming quadruple
in couple of years even in remote places.

I have seen the BBC report, too sad indeed.
There are no low end job in UK anymore because most people are jobless and are ready to do them, Indians(especially Punjabis) should spread this word.
It has been like this for nearly 4/5 years, still people dont understand?

Aur jao goro ka paas apna desh chodka.

you mean that indians apnay hi desh ko "chodkay" ja rahay hen ? chodkay ?? :rofl: what's that supposed to mean ?? :D

man, write respectfully here without overriding decency on this forum ... :hitwall:
mods. do a check on this guy's posts. :pakistan:

MuZammiL Dr. s[1]n;2669808 said:
you mean that indians apnay hi desh ko "chodkay" ja rahay hen ? chodkay ?? :rofl: what's that supposed to mean ?? :D

man, write respectfully here without overriding decency on this forum ... :hitwall:
mods. do a check on this guy's posts. :pakistan:

lol.....................:chilli::chilli::chilli:

Going back to the arms of their British lords, truly an indian love story.

Illegal is illegal and they should be deported.
NDTV is an Indian channel,hence focused it on India,but there are many illegal immigrants from South Asia to UK.

Going back to the arms of their British lords, truly an indian love story.

Do you pakistani really want me to speak up between love affair between pakistanis and goras??? I live across foreign shotres too and have seen a lot of illegals including pakistanis as well!!! so stick your silly statement up your hole!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom