What's new

IAF's Sukhoi jets to be upgraded to fifth generation fighters

its a great news to IAF,but it will take huge time to reproduce the fighters into stealth features.

IAF/HAL must focus on inducting the 270 MKIs as fast as possible, and put all their 'upgrade' energy on developing FGFA.

We have just 100 Su30 MKI's???I thought that the current numbers would be waaaaay higher than that!

Biggest joke in the aviation history.
yes obvsly, it is biggest joke in aviation history, more than stealthy jf-17. Get rid off ur attitude buddy. He said 5gen charecteristics,it doesn't mean su-30mki will be 5gen jet after upgrades.

Are we changing Airframe to reduce RCS which is very high.... how can we make it stealthy.... or we are putting any tiles or skin on the frame... what about weapon bay..... engine....

I think some indian politician are trying to earn some quick bucks from russian by fooling the comman people.

Are we changing Airframe to reduce RCS which is very high.... how can we make it stealthy.... or we are putting any tiles or skin on the frame... what about weapon bay..... engine....

I think some indian politician are trying to earn some quick bucks from russian by fooling the comman people.

The radar is for sure AESA, some change in cockpit and some avionics...and some coatings too...nothing else.

The design of the MKI was finalized in 1999. Its only logical that 15 years after the design was finalized, the plane will undergo 'deep' modernization as per the design and instrument advancements researched for the PAK-FA.

Better radar, cockpit(including instruments), RAM and armaments is definite. What else is my guess.

It seems after being all done with its own project i.e., AMCA and stealth LCA now IAF wants to divert attention to something less difficult.

The title itself is wrong. Instead it should have been made," IAF MKI to get near 5th gen capabilitites".
You cant turn a 4.5 gen fighter into 5th gen by making some changes. But you can turn it into a near 5th gen capable a/c.

Stealth( primary factor of 5th gen) can be achieved in many ways. But again there are huge diff in stealth. like LO and all aspect stealth.All aspect stealth on a 4.5 gen fighter like MKI is next to impossible unless we pull out an active radar protection(like plasma/EMF stealth) and it would be expensive. Best way will be turning it into a F-15 SE like what boeing did. Conformal weapon bays and fuel tanks on top of wings. Russia already have the inlet masks to bring down that huge radar and infrared signatures of turbine inlets down to near 0.

Supercruise is easily achievable with a high thrust engine.
All others like radar and weapons can be borrowed from PAk-FA inventory.

HEy, you throw money at it, you can make the lion dance. ITs all about investment.
IMHO ,becos MKI have to stay in IAF for another 25-30 years atleast, this upgrade is necessary to match upto the contemporary fighters in the market like Su-35, Rafael and Typhoon.

I would also expect MKI to get those L-band radars on the leading edge of wing tips alike PAK-FA.

It already carries a sh!t load of fuel(even had tanks in its rudders and elevators)

IT IAF wants an extensive upg, then the rudders can be redesigned into all movable by reducing the size.

Upgrade it as much as we can now, and get it another midlife upg after AMCA is out and flying. Then with our own exp on AMCA, we can add few more goodies......Afterall, MKI will be the front line fighter for IAF for another 15 years and untill when FGFA takes over.

It seems after being all done with its own project i.e., AMCA and stealth LCA now IAF wants to divert attention to something less difficult.

Is it something to be proud of when you know the difference of technology you maintain with the rest of the world and yet show pride in downplaying the developments in India? An attempt made is miles better than nothing done at all, isnt it?

The costs of modifying all of them would be huge. Kinda like the F-15 Silent Eagle. But not a 5th generation fighter in the whole sense.

An attempt made is miles better than nothing done at all, isnt it?

I see more and more bragging on media than an actual attempt. This is making few a laughing stock than what they intended it to do with such bragging i.e., assertiveness.

Back
Top Bottom