What's new

IAF to join US Red Flag exercise in 2013

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
IAF to join US Red Flag exercise in 2013

New Delhi: The Indian Air Force (IAF) is to take part in the US Air Force-hosted ‘Red Flag’ combat aviation exercise in the US in 2013, in which it had last participated in 2008.

“We will participate in the Red Flag exercise with the US sometime in 2013,” IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Norman Anil Kumar Browne told a press conference here.

The IAF had participated in the prestigious Red Flag exercise held at Nellis air force base in Nevada, US, in 2008. The Red Flag exercise is considered the pinnacle of combat aviation war gaming for its sheer quality that tests both the machine and the man behind the machine.

The IAF had flown its top notch Sukhoi fighter jets in the Red Flag exercise in 2008.

Asked if any joint exercise with China is being envisaged, Browne said: “Frankly, there is nothing on the table as of now.”

He, however, said that the IAF will hold a joint exercise with the Omani Air Force at Jamnagar in Gujarat in the middle of October, when the Jaguar combat jet fleets of both air forces will match their capabilities.

Later, the Singaporean Air Force will join the IAF in a joint exercise at Kalaikunda in West Bengal, he added.

http://www.stratpost.com/iaf-to-join-us-red-flag-exercise-in-2013?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+stratpost+%28StratPost%29

Its good that they are participating this time otherwise they don't go there regularly due to the high cost.

I hope they go with Su30MKI's and Mig29 SMT's ... this time with veteran pilots
Not necessary, the objective is to learn not show off. Let the young lads learn let them do mistake.( Better now than in any combat situation)

I hope the interoperability issues will be sorted out before that. During the last Red Flag Exercise, the Su-30MKI did not use the data link in the exercise unlike the other air forces. The reason being the HAL supplied system is not compatible with NATO data links – neither is the system required to be compatible with NATO. While NATO air forces are designed to inter operate with each other and carry out joint missions, the IAF is not.

Then, the IFF system used by the IAF is not compatible with NATO standard, hence there was the need for only verbal communication with the controller! Further, our aircraft were operating their radars on training mode since the actual signals with which the Bars radar operates are kept secret.

Let's see what happens in Red Flag 2013. If these compatibility and 'secrecy' issues cannot be sorted out then I think it's nothing but a waste of time and resources. After all, Rs 100 Crores is a lot of money!

I think last time we visited a video came out of a US AF officer ridiculing IAF.

I think last time we visited a video came out of a US AF officer ridiculing IAF.
Small correction,
He ridiculed IAF Pilots(for chest thumping) and the Saturn llyuka AL31 engine....He then was forced to apologize,IIRC:)

Its good to send our fighters in this execrcises as it gives them much experience & i hope this time also our pilots make us proud like previous red flag exercises .:guns:

Is it really worth to go there? Its damn expensive...

They should send the M2K.. if possible.
It would provide an excellent environment to practice OCA missions.

M2K will be undergoing refits at that time. So I guess Su-30's will be going again.

Wish they send a squadron of Tejas along with upgraded MKI 's and this time hopefully they will send a Beriev ( Phalcon) AWAC along with the usual Tankers -refuellers as part of the Indian Contingent.

We already analyzed the Rafale when the French brought it last time not to mention Exercise Garuda with the french Air Force.

Really wish to see if the Tejas can be as effective against U.S legacy fighters like F 16 as the Mig 21 bis was . It will give a huge boost to our manufacturing capabilities , the morale of our pilots and our self -belief if after so much investment , the Tejas turns out to be as capable as we think it to be .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom