What's new

IAF chief nervous over biggest defence deal

Robin_k

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India
Three months before he hangs up his flying boots, Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal N.A.K. Browne has expressed nervousness and uncertainty for the first time over the country's largest-ever military contract currently under negotiation: the $20-billion medium multirole combat aircraft (MMRCA) deal for 126 French-built Rafale fighters.

Browne, who has expressed consistent optimism that a deal would be signed by the end of 2013, has struck his first note of anxiousness, no longer willing to put a time-frame to the deal, providing perhaps the clearest indication that it could be delayed.

"We have no back-up plan. If the MMRCA deal isn't signed, there will be a rapid decline in fighter numbers between 2017 and 22. It is imperative that the deal is signed quickly," Browne said at his annual press conference on Friday.

The IAF celebrates its 81st Air Force Day on October 8.

"Negotiations on the MMRCA are still on. Cannot place a timeline on when the deal will be signed. If the deal is delayed till next year, the first aircraft will arrive only in 2017," the chief said.

Over the past 18 months, the Chief has consistently sounded hopeful, assured that the deal would be signed variously by early 2013, mid-2013 and end 2013. For the first time, he doesn't sound so sure anymore.

The sudden death on Wednesday of Arun Kumar Bal, Ministry of Defence's pointsperson on acquisitions and specifically the MMRCA deal, is tragic, and a major setback to the deal, since he was fully in control of the acquisition, said Browne.

Bal had suffered a massive heart attack earlier this week near his Delhi residence.

The Defence Ministry has been in contract negotiations with the Rafale's maker Dassault Aviation for over 18 months now, in a matrix of highly complex discussions over offsets, transfer of technology, maintenance and several other heads in what is easily the country's most strenuous acquisition effort.

In January 2012, the Dassault Rafale was won the high-voltage competition, defeating the European Typhoon and four other jets, including the US-built F-16, F/A-18, Sweden's Gripen and the Russian MiG-35.

The Indian Air Force currently operates 34 combat aircraft squadrons, comprised of Su-30 MKIs, MiG-21s, MiG-29s, Mirage 2000s, MiG-27s and Jaguars.

Against a sanctioned strength of 42 squadrons, this already represents a serious shortfall.

Most probability the deal will signed after the elections. A. K. Antony is one waste of a Man. I wonder if he has any ability to take any decisions.

I knew this was going to happen.... man this is almost 2 years and these guys are still negotiating.... wonder how much time the actual production will take :frown: :bad:

Expect deal to be signed same time China signs SU 35 deal formally. OR MODI comes to power and we see Indian Ronald Reagan Remake TAKE - I.

i say scrap this MMRCA and go for mig 35 and at the same time invest in tejas mk2.its kind of win-win for us
1.we get mig 35 for lesser price and can aslo improve it with foreign and Indian stuffs.
2.If we go for mig 35 we can negotiate with russia to cancel its deal with china for su 35 and other advanced stuffs :devil:.
2 kills with 1 arrow may be more who knows:sniper:

$20 billion deal,with huge amount of TOT and other areas to cover..what do you expect??does he want another scam so that 10 years of hard work go to drain???

if no deal signed in next few weeks then its over to new govt in 2014 summers

It will be signed soon as its the election year in the last leg of its term every govt. be it vajpayee or manmohan pushes actual work and files on which they were giving eggs during their whole terms. :P

Do not want to scrap MRCA, voice of MIG 35 and more PAK-AF does not make sense to me.

What say we end up going for additional Su 30mki and a few sqds of F 18s

Ha Ha...As I have consistently been saying...the MMRCA deal is not happening. This Congi govt and this Defence Minister is good for nothing.

The Congis won't be signing anything anymore. If you read the Fiscal Defecit has hit 75% of the target in the first 5 months. Considering a lot of sops will be rolled out in the coming months till march. The Congis are going to put money into populist measures. The country's defence is the last thing on thier agenda. Sorry its not in their agenda atall.

No deals will be signed by this Congi Govt. Mark my word. And the when the next govt comes who knows what it will be.

the boat has left the shores, the train has left the station, Bus has left the bus stand...6 months back

Additional order of Su 30 can be expected.

It will be signed soon as its the election year in the last leg of its term every govt. be it vajpayee or manmohan pushes actual work and files on which they were giving eggs during their whole terms. :P

Rafale don't vote. So no money for that. All the money will be spent on populist measures to buy vote by this Congi govt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom