What's new

I just got a job offer from Pakistan!

I was getting paid per hour in the US (working as a contractor) with no benefits. It was a better package money wise than the package in Pakistan, but the company in Pakistan is one of the biggest multinationals in the world, the job description I have there is great, pretty decent salary, & I'll be working as a full-time employee there. The place I was about to start working in Boston was a local qualification & commissioning engineering consulting & services company, the one in Pakistan is a big big, internationally reputed company. So it will be a better launching pad for me in the future. The job itself is also more suited to me, it's closely related to what I've just done in grad school right now.

Bilal Bhai..

Not to be a spoil sport..But just some practical advice from a person who has been through this situation..Multinational and great pay package is all good and it looks good on a resume, but when you start working you will most often find that things are not as great as promised. Why ? Because companies like Novartis are behemoths - they dont care about the work that you want to do, the only thing that matters to them is revenue and not employee happiness. So in all probability the work people do is very compartmentalized with no exposure to other departments..very limited learning..I have seen people doing the same lab work for multiple years with no scope of moving out. You are just starting out, so brand name and pay package should be immaterial..Best place for any person to start is a small company which gives employee access to everything and the environment to learn everything..Once you master that you can always move to a big brand name and a cushy job..It has its disadvantages - like poor pay, long working hours..but in the end its worth it..

Sorry for the long message - but though its my duty to tell you.

Congrag Bilal-
Hope every one have an opportunity to work and have a decent living in Pakistan-
No one wants to stay away from his country forever-
Hope the situation- and economy gets better- and we go back to where we belong-

Have a bright and prosperous future there-
Long Live my country Pakistan-

to all the haters fcuk u :D-

Bilal - you was one of the first people on here i grew to love and regard you as a brother. I am really pleased and happy for you that you are returning to the homeland. I hope you will still be sharing your passion and love of your nation on here - and may you be blessed with success in the future.
Thank you for sharing everything with us....

Ditto - am also genuinely fond of our Bill and that, he will be a success at whatever he does.

Bilal Bhai..

Not to be a spoil sport..But just some practical advice from a person who has been through this situation..Multinational and great pay package is all good and it looks good on a resume, but when you start working you will most often find that things are not as great as promised. Why ? Because companies like Novartis are behemoths - they dont care about the work that you want to do, the only thing that matters to them is revenue and not employee happiness. So in all probability the work people do is very compartmentalized with no exposure to other departments..very limited learning..I have seen people doing the same lab work for multiple years with no scope of moving out. You are just starting out, so brand name and pay package should be immaterial..Best place for any person to start is a small company which gives employee access to everything and the environment to learn everything..Once you master that you can always move to a big brand name and a cushy job..It has its disadvantages - like poor pay, long working hours..but in the end its worth it..

Sorry for the long message - but though its my duty to tell you.

I am sorry if I came off as haughty with my OP, I really did not want to do that. I have no illusions of what I am in for, & the challenges I face in life. I know I will face certain difficulties in my life as per living conditions, but there will be advantages as well. I am an optimistic guy, & I try to look at the positives more than the negatives. I have already worked for about 2 years at a smaller company in the US, so I have some idea about how things work at small companies.

I understand what you are saying though, & I really appreciate your post. Thank you.

I am sorry if I came off as haughty with my OP, I really did not want to do that. I have no illusions of what I am in for, & the challenges I face in life. I know I will face certain difficulties in my life as per living conditions, but there will be advantages as well. I am an optimistic guy, & I try to look at the positives more than the negatives. I have already worked for 2 years at a smaller company in the US, so I have some idea about how things work at small companies.

I understand what you are saying though. I really appreciate your post.

well you have a pretty BIG advantage in your home country ... the FOOD ... i am fed up of eating the Tasteless food we have in US even Indian Rest are not that great ...

Congratulation!!! Bilal and server the country to the best of your abilities.Be a constructive and positive force in our system.I heartily welcome you back to Pakistan and wish you success at every step of your endeavor. Godspeed!

Edit : Off-topic
Was it like the movies? Prom, homecoming queen, popularity, bullying et c. et c.?

But i must say, no other country compares to the culture here (because the locals of uae ARE LIKE 5% OF the school and rest expat, so the mix is pretty fun)

congrats bro hope to see more people now moving pakistan and bring pak on its own by our people skills and manpower

Congrats Bilal, very glad to hear that... wish you best of luck in your life and job and hope you have a great stay in your home country Pakistan. Congrats once again

Well done and all the best for your future endeavors.

Islamabad should be a nice place compared to the hustle and bustle of New York/Boston.

Hey a career is a career, whether in Pakistan or USA, and if you think that you made the right choice then well done! You are living your life, not to impress someone else. Be yourself, and never stop exploring!

Wish you are your family all the best!

About the working, well the Novartis or whatever firm you are working for in Pakistan should be a good boost to your resume. I mean, working for a small company in USA or Big MNC elsewhere, i'll choose the latter.

I remember once a recruitment guy from Deloitte, USA said we don't care if you are a beggar, you just better be the best one on the street. :cheesy:

Hey man watch the video from 3 min onward & enjoy.....:D

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents just sold off our house in VA, & are planning to move back to our small house in Islamabad in January. I was about to start working on my new job in Boston from this Monday on a 1 year contract. But now I have received a great offer from a very big multinational company, & they are offering me a great job & a great package, as a full-time employee. They want me to start in the second week in January. I am going to quit this job in Boston, & take the job in Pakistan. I had been living in America since the last 9.5 years, I have been visiting Pakistan almost every summer, but this time, I'll be working there. I'll have to adjust to the local conditions there, & I have no doubt in my mind that I can, & will. It is the end of the road for me in America, for at least the next few years. I did (one year of) Middle school, high school, college, grad school & 2 years of work/job in America (co-op). I've had a great time here. But I cannot wait to go to Pakistan & start working there, never been more excited. A touch sad leaving New York city, yes, but I can come visit this country if I need a vacation.

I salute you, you are a true patriot!
I hope I'll follow your footsteps someday.
God bless you and your family!

Congratulation bro

Lol...I'm in similar shoes but I still have a couple of years before my education is done. I would rather suggest you stay back and work here, save some money, and then make a solid decision about moving back.

Most of my family tried moving back to Pak from Jersey City but they were never able to settle there. Ended up moving back here. Only one cousin recently got a Professor job at a prestigious uni back home and hes happy.

I haven't been back home in 5 years I wanna marry back home cuz I'm mad cultural n a bit religious but the thought of settling back home shivers me a bit. Just imagine not having hot water in the morning and continous power outages during melting summer is just too terrifying lol

Thts why people have geezers or heaters for warm water... power outages = small towns for 2 hours or so... thts why they invented generators..

@BILAL ........ WELCOME HOME BRO~!

HOME SWEET HOME... NOTHIN LIKE IT!

Congratz bilal .. good luck with future en devours ... There is no place like pakistan ... watever the case its just brilliant

Back
Top Bottom