jamahir

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The World's First Human Composting Facility Will Open in 2021

PETER DOCKRILL
10 DECEMBER 2019

When a human being's time is up, in Western countries we generally have two main options for our mortal remains - burial or cremation. Now, a world-first facility has been set up to offer a unique alternative ritual to traditional choices: compost.

Recompose, which is scheduled to begin operations in Seattle, Washington in 2021, bills itself as the world's first human composting facility, offering to gently convert human remains into soil, in a process it calls "recomposition" or "natural organic reduction".

010-human-composting-1.jpg

(Olson Kundig)

The company, a public benefit corporation led by founder Katrina Spade, has been in the works for years, but became a legally viable service this year when Washington passed a historic bill to become the first US state to allow human composting.

The law goes into effect in May 2020, enabling what Spade calls a "death-care revolution", in which bodies of the deceased will transform into soil in the company's reusable, hexagonal 'Recomposition Vessels'.

010-human-composting-3.jpg

(Olson Kundig)

The process draws upon the traditional principles of natural or 'green' burials, but takes place inside the reusable vessels, rather than being permanently interred at the same time.

"Bodies are covered with wood chips and aerated, providing the perfect environment for naturally occurring microbes and beneficial bacteria," Recompose's web site explains.

"Over the span of about 30 days, the body is fully transformed, creating soil which can then be used to grow new life."

010-human-composting-5.jpg

(Olson Kundig)

Once the composting process is complete, family and friends of the departed are encouraged to take some or all of the cubic yard of soil generated per person (amounting to several wheelbarrows of soil), and can use it to grow their own gardens, with remaining soil being used for conservation purposes.

Conservation aims are a linchpin of the company's overall purpose – and the law that will let companies like Recompose operate – designed to provide a more environmentally friendly end-of-life ritual than burying embalmed corpses in wooden caskets, or burning remains in cremation, which is energy intensive due to the high temperatures required, and produces carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

010-human-composting-4.jpg

(Olson Kundig)

Recompose estimates each person who chooses their organic reduction process (at a fee of about US$5,500) over cremation or conventional burial will save a metric tonne of CO2, thanks to the carbon sequestration which occurs at different points throughout the process. Not to mention the benefits of producing useful soil, rather than taking up limited land.

"I think one of the things for me, in addition to [the] carbon savings, is just having a way to create useable soil," Spade told Citylab in January.

"Something that you can go grow a tree with and have sort of this ritual around that feels meaningful."

Are we really taking the phrase Yeh dharti meri MA hai to another level? So who deserves a Nobel prize then sunil shetty or Katrina Spade:sarcastic: btw Like the idea.

PETER DOCKRILL
10 DECEMBER 2019

When a human being's time is up, in Western countries we generally have two main options for our mortal remains - burial or cremation. Now, a world-first facility has been set up to offer a unique alternative ritual to traditional choices: compost.

Recompose, which is scheduled to begin operations in Seattle, Washington in 2021, bills itself as the world's first human composting facility, offering to gently convert human remains into soil, in a process it calls "recomposition" or "natural organic reduction".

(Olson Kundig)

The company, a public benefit corporation led by founder Katrina Spade, has been in the works for years, but became a legally viable service this year when Washington passed a historic bill to become the first US state to allow human composting.

The law goes into effect in May 2020, enabling what Spade calls a "death-care revolution", in which bodies of the deceased will transform into soil in the company's reusable, hexagonal 'Recomposition Vessels'.

(Olson Kundig)

The process draws upon the traditional principles of natural or 'green' burials, but takes place inside the reusable vessels, rather than being permanently interred at the same time.

"Bodies are covered with wood chips and aerated, providing the perfect environment for naturally occurring microbes and beneficial bacteria," Recompose's web site explains.

"Over the span of about 30 days, the body is fully transformed, creating soil which can then be used to grow new life."

(Olson Kundig)

Once the composting process is complete, family and friends of the departed are encouraged to take some or all of the cubic yard of soil generated per person (amounting to several wheelbarrows of soil), and can use it to grow their own gardens, with remaining soil being used for conservation purposes.

Conservation aims are a linchpin of the company's overall purpose – and the law that will let companies like Recompose operate – designed to provide a more environmentally friendly end-of-life ritual than burying embalmed corpses in wooden caskets, or burning remains in cremation, which is energy intensive due to the high temperatures required, and produces carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

(Olson Kundig)

Recompose estimates each person who chooses their organic reduction process (at a fee of about US$5,500) over cremation or conventional burial will save a metric tonne of CO2, thanks to the carbon sequestration which occurs at different points throughout the process. Not to mention the benefits of producing useful soil, rather than taking up limited land.

"I think one of the things for me, in addition to [the] carbon savings, is just having a way to create useable soil," Spade told Citylab in January.

"Something that you can go grow a tree with and have sort of this ritual around that feels meaningful."
The most human, cost friendly and eco friendly is Muslim / Christian style burials, but we must not make graves solid let it be mud only as described by elders.

The most human, cost friendly and eco friendly is Muslim / Christian style burials, but we must not make graves solid let it be mud only as described by elders.
Are there other forms of burial except Muslim/Christian? I think Jews also bury their dead.

Out of curiosity I just did a quick search about countries that cremate their dead. My hypothesis was that the Asian countries would be the only countries that do cremation. To my surprise, I found even some percentage of European countries doing cremation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cremation_rate

Maybe because of this.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31837964

PETER DOCKRILL
10 DECEMBER 2019

(Olson Kundig)

(Olson Kundig)

(Olson Kundig)

(Olson Kundig)

Do you know? ... by reading your post title .. that’s exactly what I thought U.S.A
I don’t need to read anything else ...I know it’s some company looking to get a bundle of millions for a b.s idea except for some technie environmentalist investors who prob’ think wow nice...!

Are we really taking the phrase Yeh dharti meri MA hai to another level? So who deserves a Nobel prize then sunil shetty or Katrina Spade:sarcastic:

:lol:

btw Like the idea.

:tup:

Even if the graves are not made solid, there will still be a fixed land ( cemetery ) alloted for burials.

Do you know? ... by reading your post title .. that’s exactly what I thought U.S.A
I don’t need to read anything else ...I know it’s some company looking to get a bundle of millions for a b.s idea except for some technie environmentalist investors who prob’ think wow nice...!

What's your exact objection to the idea ??

Human Composting is quite a scientific process.

Even if the graves are not made solid, there will still be a fixed land ( cemetery ) alloted for burials.

What's your exact objection to the idea ??

Human Composting is quite a scientific process.

Human composting is akin to post demise organ donation, I don't have the data but I am absolutely sure that Muslim countries would be among the lowest in organ donation post demise. Philosophically speaking human composting/organ donation is looking beyond oneself and has a touch of self sacrifice and being helpful/beneficial to others even after death.

I still remember meeting General Jehandad Khan, whose brother Col Fazaldad was our neighbor and told us with his head hanging down that Cornea Transplant is contingent upon receiving donated cornea from Sri Lanka, despite having such a huge population base we are dependent upon Sri Lanka because of Jaahil Mullah ( I read one fatwa of such a mullah and according to him post demise organ donation is Haram) , lack of awareness and lack of self sacrifice for a better cause.

One of my class fellows back in the day in UK died due to road accident and his parents decided to donate his heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and cornea as donations, it takes lot of courage and selflessness to go for such deeds and human composting is one of them. I am absolutely sure we will find some religious restrictions/fatwa against such.

Human composting is akin to post demise organ donation

Yes, sir.

I don't have the data but I am absolutely sure that Muslim countries would be among the lowest in organ donation post demise.

Unfortunately true.

Philosophically speaking human composting/organ donation is looking beyond oneself and has a touch of self sacrifice and being helpful/beneficial to others even after death.

That is really a great way of putting it. :tup:

Additionally, Human Composting doesn't reserve land for hundreds of year like the way that traditional cemeteries do.

I still remember meeting General Jehandad Khan, whose brother Col Fazaldad was our neighbor and told us with his head hanging down that Cornea Transplant is contingent upon receiving donated cornea from Sri Lanka, despite having such a huge population base we are dependent upon Sri Lanka because of Jaahil Mullah ( I read one fatwa of such a mullah and according to him post demise organ donation is Haram) , lack of awareness and lack of self sacrifice for a better cause.

Sad.

Strange that the mullahs put their life and of others on line for so-called Jihad yet don't have the inclination for encouraging families to donate organs.

One of my class fellows back in the day in UK died due to road accident and his parents decided to donate his heart, lungs, kidneys, liver and cornea as donations

That was very noble, especially donating of so many organs. :tup:

it takes lot of courage and selflessness to go for such deeds and human composting is one of them.

Agreed.

I am absolutely sure we will find some religious restrictions/fatwa against such.

Sadly, yes.

But I think this company, Recompose, can take the help of some agreed authority like the Al Azhar University to give the company a "Halal" certificate.

Last edited:
Paris have a good handle on their dead not going to waste. They lesve them on a tower and feed them to vultures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom