What's new

Huawei’s phone business would be decimated without Google’s Android

lol living in a fools paradise poor google i m delighted to see whats happening to america destroying themselve its survival of the fittest after all
America put sanction on Pakistan so we built nukes and jf17.
They wouldnt sell drones to Turkey and look at Turkey. Now economic war with China...

Best this America does to make countries stand on their feet is sanction them. I hope China starts to dump US treasuries

All of this will wreak havoc with component suppliers too. While Huawei has its own chipsets and modems to lean on, it doesn’t have everything. For example, the P30 Pro uses Micron memory, but Micron joined the ranks of companies that no longer sell to Huawei.

Now those component suppliers will have to find new buyers for their products. And Huawei will have to find new suppliers. It certainly won’t stop making phones, even if it’s just for China. But new contracts will have to be signed, which will take time, and Huawei isn’t in a strong position to negotiate a good price.
Huawei will be able to sell its products with full capabilities for at least a few more weeks. Current production lines are not affected by this ban as they were already contracted. It is the next startup that will be affected.

As for the components suppliers, the negative effects will be different from supplier to supplier. I know Micron Tech as I used to work for them. Whatever was contracted, the US government will allow Micron to ship to Huawei. Whatever in Micron's production lines that are for future contracts with Huawei, these cannot ship but Micron can hold and see what the two governments can work out, or Micron can sell on the open markets.

Products that already started manufacturing must continue to the end. Micron's products are semiconductor so that mean there are few holding points where the wafers and the dies (chips) can be suspended with no negative effects. Unpackaged dies can be wrapped and stored pretty much indefinitely, but Micron will not do that. Half processed wafers are more problematic as corrosion from oxygen or other gases can ruin them. So wafers that were started must finish regardless of whether there are contracts for them or not. At best, unfinished wafers can suspend moving for a couple weeks. The better option for Micron is to sell on the open markets. This does not guarantee current profits and perhaps even sell at a loss, but at least the products are sold. There are always buyers on the open markets.

If Micron and other suppliers decide to sell their products on the open markets, this WILL mean bad news for Huawei. Continue using Micron as example. Micron's products are established. Huawei qualified Micron and most likely categorized Micron as a Tier One supplier. If there is a Tier One, there are lower classes of suppliers whose components are for Huawei's products that are with less features and with lower prices. Huawei will not risk further problems by installing lower tiered components into its top product lines. Qualifying a new Tier One supplier will take months.

Software can be reflashed, reprogrammed, reinstalled, whatever the convenient word. But not with hardware. A cell phone must work at all times, meaning whenever the user wanted to use the device. That mean the cell phone is essentially a physically finished device. It cannot be returned to the manufacturer to swap out components.

The longer this ban last, the worse it will get for Huawei. The Chinese members on this forum will do their best to salvage the issue but simply put -- they do not know what they are talking about. This event is not a good place for Huawei. At the same time, all other Chinese companies that relies on US and Western sources are nervous. Make no mistake about that. For decades, China rode on the backs of US and Western companies, and done it without a care for the future. Laugh at Trump if it make one feels good, but Trump effectively b-slapped Huawei as an example of his attitude towards China.

Let's bet? I say Huawei will survive and in 5 years you will see a completely different tech scenario. You can bitch slap all you want, but we are still standing firm and not bending backwards like indoviets.
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Right round round round

China have something to rankle US to reverse their decision on the mediately ban all US company to do business with Huawei, Trump knew he can't strangle Huawei without strangle US as the same time. Now US give Huawei 3 months extension in other for Huawei continue to service it customers worldwide and US components that sale to Huawei for the manufacture in new Huawei product will be subject of US oversight and approval of sale after August 1. Now Trump seem like an impotent for the declaration of total Huawei decapitation within less than a week Trump ordered his ban on Huawei will be on hold for now.

Right round round round

Right round round round
Spin and spin all u want babe. We are still showing you the middle finger. I thought you were the one saying it's gonna be an easy war? China's gonna surrender? We are not indoviets.

Spin and spin all u want babe. We are still showing you the middle finger. I thought you were the one saying it's gonna be an easy war? China's gonna surrender? We are not indoviets.
Am not the one who is spinning. There is a Chinese member on this forum who used to work for Intel Fab 68 Dalian, I think it is Mr. Dungeness and I think he mentioned he used to be in Wet Etch, who will confirm everything I said on post 32 when it comes to semicon products. Facts, buddy. :enjoy:

Am not the one who is spinning. There is a Chinese member on this forum who used to work for Intel Fab 68 Dalian, I think it is Mr. Dungeness and I think he mentioned he used to be in Wet Etch, who will confirm everything I said on post 32 when it comes to semicon products. Facts, buddy. :enjoy:
Well what does Intel fab gotta do with Huawei?

Samsung, SK Hynix, and Toshiba can provide DRAM and NAND Flash.
Each of them MUST go thru the same qualification process. No exception. Or more like gross foolishness if there are exceptions. Am going to educate you guys...As I usually do...:enjoy:

During the qualification process, I must send you my PRODUCTION samples, meaning a quantity of standard market components.

I will send you several grades of my products. The accepted industry phrasing is 'product grade level' or PGL.

http://www.jsemicon.co.jp/eng/strengths/quality.htm
...we deliver highest-level, reliable products that satisfy our customers' needs, through activities ranging from development and design of products at different grade levels and for a variety of applications to thorough management of production quality.
Each company may have slightly different phrasing, but am sure you get the general idea. I even gave you a source to prove am not making this shit up. :enjoy:

The sample quantity is what you give me and the quantity depends on your product lines and priority. You can say 100 or 1000 units. It is not free, but if your request is small enough, I will be generous and give you free samples, after all, you are a potential customer.

In this particular event, Huawei will request a large sample and must pay for them. If the request is 1000 units each of DRAM and NAND, most likely the major manufacturers will give free. Each have the reserves to afford that. But given Huawei's large product portfolio, the request will be several thousands and it will be a purchase.

In my sample shipment to you, I will clearly label the PGLs of each sub samples.

PGL1 is highest quality. A PGL1 die is a die that passed all tests regarding performance, durability, appearance, and must NOT have any repaired done to its individual components. PGL1 is profit.

We are talking at the microscopic level here. The worst 'repair' is when a cell failed the tests, was labeled as failed, isolated by having its access lines literally burned off, and a backup cell from the redundancy array routed to take its place.

Again...Am not making this shit up...:enjoy:

http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/685/
Dynamic Random Access Memories (DRAM) are large complex devices, prone to defects during manufacture. Yield is improved by the provision of redundant structures used to repair these defects. This redundancy is often implemented by the provision of excess memory capacity and programmable address logic allowing the replacement of faulty cells within the memory array.
The testing program does all of the above.

PGL2 is next quality. A PGL2 die is when a cell failed some tests, does not need repairs, but reclassified with a lower capacity. For example, the original die capacity is 32 gb but reconfigured to 16 gb and is sold as 16 gb. Usually, PGL2 is financially break even, but depending on market conditions, can be profitable.

PGL3 is lowest quality. A PGL3 die is when a die had so much repairs that it is 1/4 of its original capacity and if sold, it is at a loss. In NAND, many of the USB thumb drives in lesser known brands have PGL3 dies in them.

Once you received your sample shipment, you will conduct standalone tests on each die. To be 'standalone' means to test OUTSIDE of your products. Not installed. Depending on your product lines, some dies will be encapsulated (packaged) and some will not. That would be in your request to me. Unpackaged dies have additional difficulties in handling and testing, so if you screwed up, you will have to buy a replacement. Some dies must go thru destructive testings. That is when you will over stress in terms of voltage, amplitude, current, time, and temperature. You have to verify everything I said is true.

Let us say you have 1000 DRAM units of 500 PGL1, 400 PGL2, and 100 PGL3. You can verify test all of each sub sample, or you sample test of each sub sample. Most usually sample test each PGL batch.

Next, you will allocate some of your products to become ENGINEERING devices. These cannot ship to customers. You will install the sample units with their PGLs into matching products. Obviously, your top selling devices will have PGL1 components. Once done, you will test these engineering devices in as normal operations and expected customer usage as possible. This could be one week to one month or even months. It all depends on your quality expectations to your customers.

Returning to the Huawei issue, Huawei will have to do everything I said above for each potential DRAM/NAND supplier. Any corner cuttings at any qualification step will have long term negative consequences because the entire qualification process is the result of experience that qualified Micron in the first place where Huawei's top featured and top selling devices were durable, enjoyable to use, and promoted customer loyalty. Shortcuts WILL result in lower quality devices sold as top tier devices.

You think it is easy for Huawei to just simply turn to other suppliers?

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Tra...rs-dust-off-backup-plans-to-prepare-for-storm
Huawei had attempted to prepare for the worst by stockpiling six months' to more than a year's worth of certain American components, the Nikkei Asian Review has reported. But the company did not expect the restrictions to also cover all foreign suppliers that indirectly use a certain amount of U.S. technologies to build products for it. This caught the Chinese company off-guard, people familiar with the matter said.
What this mean is that even though Huawei do have multiple suppliers of the same DRAM/NAND requirements, they are now doing self assessments to see if their products falls under the ban. Not just Huawei, but suppliers were also caught off-guard.

Huawei's own OS? Try YRS before Huawei's engineers are satisfied, let alone customers are convinced that Huawei's OS is on a par with Android and Apple. So when all you guys and your friends on this forum started spouting off on how to support Huawei -- you guys do not know what you are talking about.

Eventually people understand why our beloved Chinaman Mao constantly stressed self-reliance.Huawei will definitely suffer for the time being.But it's also a great chance to refine our relevant industry. I believe huge investment from China gov is flooding to the semiconductor and high tech industry. Sooner or later Trump will realize that cornering China is the worst one among all of his stupid decisions.

Last edited:
It is all in favor of China and Chinese companies. It had to happen one day. The blackmail and deceit. China has a solid plan in place. Give it a few years.

Many people still have no idea what this crop of Chinese are made out of, and they are still counting beans. You'd figure they would have learnt a lesson or two after 1950's.

Many people still have no idea what this crop of Chinese are made out of, and they are still counting beans. You'd figure they would have learnt a lesson or two after 1950's.
The no way out China is the most determined one.
We should thank Trump in this sense. He is helping us creating more huaweis.

Huawei is not finished, not even close and any one believe such non-sense is living in fools paradise. Huawei might take a hit in the short term, but Huawei is a company which employs about 200,000 workforce and about half of that workforce is engaged in active R&D. If any company that can survive this, its Huawei. Furthermore they might be incentivised to roll out 5G even at a faster rate.

US can try what it may, but Huawei is not going anywhere. Although I am not much concerened for Googles or other software related sanctions but I am more concerned about the Chips being curtailed. Huawei needs to up its game exceptionally quickly in that segment, for the rest they are in safe for now.

Chinese giving into US bullying, you really dont understand Chinese mind and nature, keep on dreaming. Americans behaving like Indians, jeez who would have guessed this.

Without access to Google codes, Huawei is finished.
Says the guy who thinks Vietnam can manufacture Nikes for 1 dollar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom