What's new

Huawei Releases World First Satellite Phone

Well, I can get a Irdium Sat phone for about $900 USD, Mate 60Pro have a RRP of $1200.

Again, this is not the first phone in the world for this (regardless of what the OP said) there is a reason why that Thuraya didn't make a new version of X5 Touch (The actual first sat phone based on GSM) Most people need a SAT phone will just go buy a Sat Phone. They won't go for Hybrid like this paying premium, and the Thuraya one is actually cheaper than Mate 60 Pro when they launch. It was about $1000 USD
Good to know the price. I didn’t know iridium phones were that cheap nowadays. Yeah, when this new phone doesn’t sell well, they will make the next version cheaper; hopefully less than the Iridium phone, and find its niche in the market.

Btw, aren’t iridium phones expensive to use?

Good to know the price. I didn’t know iridium phones were that cheap nowadays. Yeah, when this new phone doesn’t sell well, they will make the next version cheaper; hopefully less than the Iridium phone, and find its niche in the market.

Comparing iridium phones to Mate 60? You see the big *** antenna satellite phones have, the processors th3y using aren't even state of th3 art. I am an instruments engineer, the technology Huawei just unveiled is groundbreaking , meaning your phone is able to process both 5G and satellite signals together. The key is the miniaturisation technology, if you have used iridium phones before you will notice they overheat and use up batteries fast, that's why they have chunky battery packs.

Comparing iridium phones to Mate 60? You see the big *** antenna satellite phones have, the processors th3y using aren't even state of th3 art. I am an instruments engineer, the technology Huawei just unveiled is groundbreaking , meaning your phone is able to process both 5G and satellite signals together. The key is the miniaturisation technology, if you have used iridium phones before you will notice they overheat and use up batteries fast, that's why they have chunky battery packs.
That may be, and thank you for your input as an instruments engineer, but see it form the view point of a potential consumer. They need to price to be lower to be able to afford it, especially fishermen in many countries. If the price is low enough, every fisherman could have one, if it’s some what lower, may one fisherman per group will have one, and if more expensive then a regular sat phone, it won’t be adopted, the same way the iridium phones are not common with fishermen.

The good one still cost around 1400 USD, but yes, they went cheaper than before. Especially they start doing Satellite Hotspot (which is like mobile hotspot but you are using Satellite) for $800 USD or Thuraya Satellite Sleeve which is the same as owning a satellite phone

Calling is not really that expensive, granted it's not unlimited local mobile but you are talking about A$2.5 a minute.

That may be, and thank you for your input as an instruments engineer, but see it form the view point of a potential consumer. They need to price to be lower to be able to afford it, especially fishermen in many countries. If the price is low enough, every fisherman could have one, if it’s some what lower, may one fisherman per group will have one, and if more expensive then a regular sat phone, it won’t be adopted, the same way the iridium phones are not common with fishermen.
lol, you buy he is an instrument engineer? last time he told me he was a ship structure engineer and build LNG carrier, and then he told he was from Singapore and now he claim he is a Chinese. I wouldn't take a word he said.

On the other hand, as I said before, this is not something new, these Satellite GSM phone existed for quite a while now, and it never get over novelty stage, this is not something innovative or ground breaking. If this would have picked up, they would have picked up a long time ago, and certainly it's not going to do well using 3 Satellites orbiting at 36,000 km as these Chinese Scientist said

Last edited:
The good one still cost around 1400 USD, but yes, they went cheaper than before. Especially they start doing Satellite Hotspot (which is like mobile hotspot but you are using Satellite) for $800 USD or Thuraya Satellite Sleeve which is the same as owning a satellite phone

Calling is not really that expensive, granted it's not unlimited local mobile but you are talking about A$2.5 a minute.

lol, you buy he is an instrument engineer? last time he told me he was a ship structure engineer and build LNG carrier, and then he told he was from Singapore and now he claim he is a Chinese. I wouldn't take a word he said.

On the other hand, as I said before, this is not something new, these Satellite GSM phone existed for quite a while now, and it never get over novelty stage, this is not something innovative or ground breaking. If this would have picked up, they would have picked up a long time ago, and certainly it's not going to do well using 3 Satellites orbiting at 36,000 km as these Chinese Scientist said

Indeed, they need a star link like system of at least hundreds low orbiting satellite up to make it viable. Costs per minute will have to come down from $2.50 to at least a tenth of that.

It may not be new, but getting it to the price point where it is near the same as any other high end smartphone can make it a viable alternative. It’s has to the everyday phone for people in certain industries.

Indeed, they need a star link like system of at least hundreds low orbiting satellite up to make it viable. Costs per minute will have to come down from $2.50 to at least a tenth of that.

It may not be new, but getting it to the price point where it is near the same as any other high end smartphone can make it a viable alternative. It’s has to the everyday phone for people in certain industries.
A2.5/minute is about 1 USD per minute.......

As I said, it would most likely be a novelty products. I wouldn't bank my money on it as the next big thing.

But isn’t that still too high. Any estimate of the comparable price for voice and data via star link?
Think voice (VOIP) and data are free after you pay a monthly fee and a one off set up fee. At least this is where I am at, and Starlink is fixed line as you need a dish, and router to access.

1694267009802.png

Ahhh Boy genius to the rescue again. I am an Instruments Engineer working on a FPSO not LNG ship and in the oil and gas industry. We don't liquefy gas but we did design a FLNG to penetrate that market and I was part of that design team so yea nobody in the industry transport LNG in pipelines because it is not feasible. Remember how I dissect you Mr. LNG. Now have you used a iridium phone before? You ever wonder why the phone is so chunky?

Ahhh Boy genius to the rescue again. I am an Instruments Engineer working on a FPSO not LNG ship and in the oil and gas industry. We don't liquefy gas but we did design a FLNG to penetrate that market and I was part of that design team so yea nobody in the industry transport LNG in pipelines because it is not feasible. Remember how I dissect you Mr. LNG. Now have you used a iridium phone before? You ever wonder why the phone is so chunky?
Yeah, you are actually Elvis, King of Rock.

I honestly don't believe a thing you said, you can claim to be whatever you want. I don't think anybody will see you anything other than a 14 years old who play Fortnite too much and think he owns every biatches. LOL

Last edited:
Yeah, you are actually Elvis, King of Rock.

I honestly don't believe a thing you said, you can claim to be whatever you want. I don't think anybody will see you anything other than a 14 years old who play Fortnite too much and think he owns every biatches. LOL

I still remember someone telling me Aegis can identify ships without AIS. Lolol.

So why does iridium phone have big *** antennas and chunky batteries? Same as Huawei huh.... Lol

Last edited:
I still remember someone telling me Aegis can identify ships without AIS. Lolol.

So why does iridium phone have big *** antennas and chunky batteries? Same as Huawei huh.... Lol

Again, you can claim whatever you want, that does not mean we are going to believe you. I don't honestly care what you claim to be, you can claim to be Xi for all i care LOL

Everything can be identify by AIS if they turned on the transponder...(LO)L and you said you build ship)

View attachment 952641

Again, you can claim whatever you want, that does not mean we are going to believe you. I don't honestly care what you claim to be, you can claim to be Xi for all i care LOL

Hmmm, if only you read the question. The question is i remember someone told me Aegis can identify ships when AIS is turned off. I wonder who was that genius. Lolololol

And in case Mr Han job or anyone wants to know.

You can track a ship with either AIS, Marine Radar or Dead Reckoning position reporting.

I have been on a ship since I am 10 years old, my father was a Navy Medic in Vietnam, and had been with the Navy for 18 years, my brother was a afloat F-18 pilot for the USMC for 8 years (If Mr Han Job knows what Afloat is), I have a cousin who served in the Navy as a submariner, and another cousin who's active CPO3 with the coast guard going on her 16th year.

View attachment 886559
View attachment 886560

This is me on a Tiger Cruise with my cousin in the US Navy around 10 years ago

Hmmm, if only you read the question. The question is i remember someone told me Aegis can identify ships when AIS is turned off. I wonder who was that genius. Lolololol
Dumbo, go back to my original post, that is the question YOU ASKED. That's not what I said

You need to go see a doctor, you have memory issue

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom