What's new

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/telangana-raises-reservation-for-backward-muslims-to-12/art

Should Indian Muslims be given special quota??

• Yes, because they are underrepresented in govt. institutions at center and state level.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • No, because our contitution does not allow reservations based on religion.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No, they have not been socially discriminated the same way dalits have for centuries

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yes, they are already included in econimically backward classes but it is not helping them.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

my2cents

Reaction score
Country
India
HYDERABAD: The Telangana assembly on Sunday passed a bill to provide 12% reservation to backward Muslims and 10% to Scheduled Tribes, taking the quantum of quota to 62% in jobs and education.

With the quota percentage crossing the Supreme Court-mandated 50% cap, the state government, which has modelled the bill around the Tamil Nadu formula, will request the Centre to incorporate it in the Ninth Schedule of the Constitution to avoid court scrutiny.
The bill was unanimously passed after five agitating BJP MLAs were suspended by the speaker and marshalled out of the House. A special session was convened to hike the quota, which was a poll promise of the ruling TRS in the state.

"This day will go down in history books. The TRS has fulfilled another promise by hiking reservations for poor Muslims and STs. I will take the battle to Delhi, if the Centre fails to approve the hike. My government will not hesitate to approach the Supreme Court," said CM K Chandrasekhar Rao.

"Are Muslims not our citizens? When backward groups in every caste and religion are being provided with relief, why not Muslims," he asked.

As of now, reservation for Muslims in the state stands at 4%, under the OBC category, and the STs at 6%. KCR also hinted at an increase in reservation for Scheduled Castes by another 1%-2%.

I believe the reservations in India has lost its inherent meaning because it is being misused to pander to communities for their votes. Instead of fixing the education system to be inclusive and making it a level playing field for all communities, politicians are tweaking the system for its own downfall. Merit has taken the back seat for vote bank politics. In some states the quotas have reached absurd levels of 80%, leaving well deserved the scraps. Please vote to share your views.

@mods
Please fix the title.

This Idiot knows very well this would be struck down by both center and SC... His grand show been Messiah of Muslims would end up becoming fodder for BJP growth ...

Akhilesh Learned it the hard way , Mamata is on her way of self destruction, KCR is on the list as well...

Don't worry it is just a vote gimmick just file a PIL ( Public interest litigation ) and Supreme court will strike it down .
Supreme court has said no reservation in the name of religion . Congress gave muslim reservation in Maharastra and Supreme court stuck it down as it is unconstitutional.

According to constitution

The notification called THE CONSTITUTIONAL (SCHEDULED CASTES) ORDER, 1950 says in para 3 regarding allowing reservation to only Hindus and no one, in the following words;
“4 (3). Notwithstanding anything contained in paragraph 2, no person who professes a religion different from the Hindu 5 [the Sikh or the Buddhist] religion shall be deemed to be a member of a Scheduled Caste]”

Also Art 15 says

Article 15 of the Constitution says that there shall be prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth

Presidential order

The Presidential Order 1950 states that the criterion to define the Scheduled Caste, which reads: Not withstanding anything contained in paragraph 2, no person who professes a religion different from Hindu, shall be deemed to be a member of a Scheduled Caste. So the religion was used as a criterion to define, who shall be Scheduled Caste

So no Non Hindu and Buddhist will be given quota .

These idiots are just asking BJP to take their state

Why do muslims get reservation but real minorities like Jains, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc don't?

Why do muslims get reservation but real minorities like Jains, Buddhists, Sikhs, etc don't?
Define real minorities?
They need to do few thinks and it will make a healthy competition
They make poll of lets say 10% of quota. Out of 10% they will reserve 7% to all minority via healthy completion and only top achiever will got those quote no matter what cast or religion they are from. rest 3% will be base on their presence in Govt and least will got more. This will give good healthy competition and standard bar will raise gradually

Define real minorities?
They need to do few thinks and it will make a healthy competition
They make poll of lets say 10% of quota. Out of 10% they will reserve 7% to all minority via healthy completion and only top achiever will got those quote no matter what cast or religion they are from. rest 3% will be base on their presence in Govt and least will got more. This will give good healthy competition and standard bar will raise gradually

Read Indian constitution!
1. any religion ceased to be minority if it becomes more than 9% of total population. So Muslims are second largest majority.
2. Indian constitution does not allow quota on religious terms.
3. Muslim/ Christians religions are defined on basis as 'all are equal and no caste discrimination, nothing as backward caste' so why seeking quota on basis of backward caste?

Think #3 and you will know the answer.

Read Indian constitution!
1. any religion ceased to be minority if it becomes more than 9% of total population. So Muslims are second largest majority.
2. Indian constitution does not allow quota on religious terms.
3. Muslim/ Christians religions are defined on basis as 'all are equal and no caste discrimination, nothing as backward caste' so why seeking quota on basis of backward caste?

Think #3 and you will know the answer.

I think this is not correct and this is definitely not part of original constitution and it was later amended in constitution? Can you give me the accurate date when it become part of constitution? in terms of math as how can 9% is consider majority? even 25% will be consider minorities with powerful voice. I think this is only to target Muslims and Christian so that they will not gain any benefit.

Find Another Jinnah to help you in this situation.

Here are Mohammad Ali Jinnah's 14 points which he put forth before demanding freedom. Read them and surprise yourself.

Jinnah's Fourteen Points
  • The form of the future constitution should be federal, with the residuary powers vested in the provinces;
  • A uniform measure of autonomy shall be guaranteed to all provinces;
  • All legislatures in the country and other elected bodies shall be constituted on the definite principle of adequate and effective representation of minorities in every province without reducing the majority in any province to a minority or even equality;
  • In the Central Legislature, Muslim representation shall not be less than one third;
  • Representation of communal groups shall continue to be by means of separate electorate as at present: provided it shall be open to any community, at any time to abandon its separate electorate in favour of a joint electorate.
  • Any territorial distribution that might at any time be necessary shall not in any way affect the Muslim majority.
  • Full religious liberty, i.e. liberty of belief, worship and observance, propaganda, association and education, shall be guaranteed to all communities.
  • No bill or resolution or any part thereof shall be passed in any legislature or any other elected body if three fourths of the members of any community in that particular body oppose it as being injurious to the interests of that community or in the alternative, such other method is devised as may be found feasible and practicable to deal with such cases.
  • Sindh should be separated from the Bombay Presidency.
  • Reforms should be introduced in the North West Frontier Province and Balochistan on the same footing as in the other provinces.
  • Provision should be made in the constitution giving Muslims an adequate share, along with the other Indians, in all the services of the state and in local self-governing bodies having due regard to the requirements of efficiency.
  • The constitution should embody adequate safeguards for the protection of Muslim culture and for the protection and promotion of Muslim education, language, religion, personal laws and Muslim charitable institutions and for their due share in the grants-in-aid given by the state and by local self-governing bodies.
  • No cabinet, either central or provincial, should be formed without there being a proportion of at least one-third Muslim ministers.
  • No change shall be made in the constitution by the Central Legislature except with the concurrence of the State's contribution of the Indian Federation.

Last edited:
  • No cabinet, either central or provincial, should be formed without there being a proportion of at least one-third Muslim ministers.
  • No change shall be made in the constitution by the Central Legislature except with the concurrence of the State's contribution of the Indian Federation

His demands were not justified because Muslim share of the population at the time independence was less than 10 percent.

I think this is not correct and this is definitely not part of original constitution and it was later amended in constitution? Can you give me the accurate date when it become part of constitution? in terms of math as how can 9% is consider majority? even 25% will be consider minorities with powerful voice. I think this is only to target Muslims and Christian so that they will not gain any benefit.

I stand corrected... Below is Indian govt reply in RS in 2013.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rities-govt-tells-RS/articleshow/21791884.cms

My statement was based on reply given to me by NCERT professor during my interview with that organization.

Back
Top Bottom