What's new

HPT 32 Deepak trainer aircraft to fly no more

kaykay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided not to fly its trainee pilots any more on the HPT 32 Deepak trainer aircraft.

Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne told India Strategic in and interview that IAF was under a major transformation to induct hi tech systems, and that the young officers needed to flirt with flying in youthful spirits while training.

He said that IAF was all for supporting HAL and indigenous industry but HPT 32 has had a record of accidents which did not inspire confidence. There has been a persistent fuel supply problem which had not been sorted out, leading to 108 engine cuts and mishaps, claiming lives of 23 pilots.

HPT 32 was grounded after a crash 31 July, 2009 in which two senior pilots, both instructors, were killed.

The HAL-made Deepak first flew in 1981, and was delivered to the IAF Training Command in 1984 for formal instructions in basic flying. Notably, many of the top IAF officers have trained on the HPT 32. But there seems to be a unanimous opinion that it is the time for change.

Said a lady officer: "I want to soar to the skies, play with the aircraft and my spirits. I expect the Air Force and the country to give me the technical capability to do that with confidence. Preparing for security of the country is serious business."

IAF has meanwhile decided to acquire the Swiss-made basic Pilatus-7 aircraft.

Air Chief Marshal Browne said that the formal agreement to buy 75 of these aircraft would be signed within a few weeks as the negotiations were in the final stages between the Government and the manufacturer. The technical report shortlisting the new trainer had been sent to the Ministry of Defence some time back and has been accepted.

..:: India Strategic ::. IAF: HPT 32 Deepak trainer aircraft to fly no more

I just hope that there's some good reason behind this (like Pilatuses joining us within this coming year) rather than sending the young bravehearts onto rusty MiG-21 ancient variants and killing them.

Back
Top Bottom