What's new

How would you deal with this situation if you were the chief executive of Pakistan right now?

I am a Youtuber by the wayy
TBH even an Youtuber can successfully run
a puppet nation called Pakistan better than any Chors walla.

Mirror mirror on the wall whos the chor of them all

Thank you for your post. I think as the literate people of our country it is/our responsibility to contribute towards its development. We are the leaders and we should lead and force others to think along lines. What I have thought of is nothing new but we see it in our lives in the West.
There is plenty of corruption here as well but it does not affect the daily lives of the people. Ithink people have the wrong concept that somehow angels will descend from heavens and sort all our ills out with the wave of a wand. These are going to be painful steps that a growing nation has to take and believe me they will be painful. We have huge inequality between the rich and the poor. I heard of people booking Porsches in Pakistan but despite decent salary I cannot afford to buy one in UK. SO I am forced to ask how can people afford this in Pakistan. The answer is too much wealth which in turn means lack of taxation on a significant portion of these rich elites. Iam forced to ask why is it that the rich have aeroplanes and yachts while the poor carries his 5 children on a motor bike.
The Pakistani nation is industrious and will ralpy but needs leadership. Imran may not provide it but at least he is honest though devoid of ideas. It maybe that we find another leader in 10 years.
The main thing is keep exchanging ideas and passing on to the people. Someone might read and listen and see sense in what we are writing. Even if 20% of our ideas are taken up as practical steps we will hopefullyhave a nation which is progressing and on the path to recovery.
Lately I've been struggling to convince my immidiate family in Pakistan of these ideas, which is where my pessimism is coming from. But you're right. The best any human can hope for is to champion ideas and hope that they eventually stick.

Sirilanka had no army oversight and they defaulted.

Army is not the issue incompetence and poor governance is.

PTI had full support of the powerbrokers but still failed to deliver any promising change.
How do you adjust ur head in ur azz.

Hang the Establishment Heads and the Supreme Court Judges ....

One line answer free and fair elections
If is not a one liner. Firstly free and fair elections in Pakistan is itself a job-and a half. Secondly the real job starts afterwards. We saw IK faltering before he got going and showbaza has been pathetic. Momentum has been totally absent in his goverent -I call this anertia. It might stem from 2 power circles, ie showbaza locally and Waja the bhagora in London. Then you have poor Miftah in Pakistan and Ishaq Dar in London. You need to have one power centre --you cannot run a government from multicentre and multidirections although advice can be and should be sought.
So it is not a one liner and saying so is employing a back door to excape the whole debate.
A

I think Pakistan has the potential to be a great power. It comes down to good leadership. Which we dont have. But we do have a young population, geostrategic location, large labour force, 5th largest population in the world. It would be a shame if we cant reach our full potential.
So how do you"grow" this good leadership? It took 2 terms of disaster to bring out a relatively half decent setup. It may take 4-6 turns to get a decent one. It might not happen in my life time but it will happen.
On an individual level we need to adopt honesty. Honesty in our work ethics and day to day life. Till we do that we wont get any where.

Last edited:
Hang the Establishment Heads and the Supreme Court Judges ....
Again it is not helpful. The judiciary has worked given enough support. Most judges are either fearful for their or their families' lives or just do not want to get involved. We need to support them and with support will come empowerment. Structure needs to be supported rather than killing people left right and centre. Before you punish someone you need to prove they are corrupt.Same goes for establishment. The power needs to be brought within the remit of the constitution.
A

Pakistan just needs two things for stability and all its problems will slowly solve themselves.

1. A leader with 2/3 majority, so he can concentrate on running the country and make tough decisions instead of worrying about power games. Perhaps move to presidential form of government. This is why we need proper and imminent elections.
2. Judicial reforms, so that there is speedy justice and proper rule of law keeping everyone in check. Crime, dishonesty has become normalized in our society which is why we have popular support and in service people with tainted reputations, who become even more bolder every time they get away with something.

You began your post with in short. And even though your post might not appear short, it is short relative to what it is trying to address. Which brings me nicely to the rather disappointing responses on this thread that reflect how the majority thinks: Pakistan's problems have simple solutions like "isko mardo, isko lagado, isko tangdo". Who will convince people that Pakistan's problems are not simple and require nuanced thought as in your post? The space for debate has been shrinking constantly.

There is one action that I'd like to include in your plan: introduce a rational tax on real estate that significantly taxes empty plots. I think this is a major problem in Pakistan where a very large portion of capital is diverted to something as nonproductive as plots. This action will increase government revenues in the short term, and divert capital to productive sectors in the medium and long term. Of course this action will be super unpopular and no reason to think that our elite (all kinds) who own plots over plots would ever willfully do this.

Add to that a tax which penalises land owners who own too much land, i.e. increasing taxes for the amount of land owned. The state should also have the ability to seize property belonging to anybody who refuses to pay tax or is involved in cases like land theft.

There hasnt been any major land reforms since Zulfiqar Bhutto so most of rural Pakistan is run like small kingdoms to the wealthy elite. A lot of work is needed.

Pakistan just needs two things for stability and all its problems will slowly solve themselves.

1. A leader with 2/3 majority, so he can concentrate on running the country and make tough decisions instead of worrying about power games. Perhaps move to presidential form of government. This is why we need proper and imminent elections.
2. Judicial reforms, so that there is speedy justice and proper rule of law keeping everyone in check. Crime, dishonesty has become normalized in our society which is why we have popular support and in service people with tainted reputations, who become even more bolder every time they get away with something.
You can add to that :
3) Pass a patriotism law if anyone I mean ANYONE caught utter rubbish Pakistan nation on traitorism they should go to jail for 3 years depending on severity fines.

This may be the second or third thread on the same topic here. The problems remain the same. Pakistans Achilles heal remains:-

1) its political economy- people being addicted to unreasonable unrealistic cheap prices on commodities that we have to import
2) the fact that we haven’t figured out what the heck we are. What is Pakistan in reality? An Islamic republic or a multi ethnic state? At this point, even I have vertigo thinking about it.
3) institutional gangrene from the corruption of historical parties namely PMLN and PPP. Nigeria level corruption which has destroyed most institutions now.

What are not the problems:-
1) having a deep state. We need a deep state because our civilian institutions are all gangrened. And to some extent our non civilian ones too but they are a bit better still. And we are a security state due to our neighbor in the east.
2) population- never was an issue if we had managed it and never will be if we manage it.
3) lack of technology or skill or human capital. We actually have a lot of latent human capital abroad- some of the best minds in the world if only we value them.

I would take the following steps:

1. Civil, military, government, bureaucratic officials on senior & sensitive roles should not be allowed to leave the country for 10 years after retiring from their positions.

2. Asset declaration. constant check of asset beyond means. For all people on sensitive positions of civil, military, judiciary and other agencies.

3. Deals with other countries, international banks over offshore account information, illegal money detection and tax avoidance.

4. Separate civilian entity on model of secret service to protect PM and civilian leadership. PM to be executive in true sense. Real power lies with PM/ President - elected person. Authority + responsibility in one hand, no scape goats.

5. ISI to only look after external affairs.

6. IB, FIA & Police to be strengthened for internal security.

7. Army budget to be reduced, close down all unnecessary cantonments in the hearts of every city, move cantonments out of cities.

8. Increase budgets of IB, FIA, & Police, make them top notch high performing institutions.

9. Government should invest heavily on computerising everything, maintain up to date and accurate data records, everything to be made digital, invest heavily on data protection, make data bases accessible to all governmental departments as per their needs.

10. Census to be conducted every year, compulsory to fill census data every year. No fake votes. No identity theft. Authorities to have accurate information about families and their addresses.

11. Fix and develop Pakistan wide, national, standard address system. All addresses to follow a set pattern.

12. Update and fix spelling mistakes in data bases, English and Urdu spellings of names to be kept same since birth certificate till death certificate. These things would help make government departments more efficient, data more useful and easier to find criminals.

13. 111 Brigade to be dismantled.

14. Pakistan to have a civilian lead foreign policy.

15. Army to stay out of politics. Work with in constitution.

16. Constitutional amendments, get rid of redundant old laws, revise laws as per modern needs & requirements.

17. Pakistan to have a 20 year fixed economic policy, made with consultation of all stake holders. All political parties, civil, military departments to assist in achieving and following the economic goals. Yearly meetings with all stake holders to discuss progress and monitor milestones. Change of government should not bring any change in overall economic policy, governments to only make minor changes. Any major change shall require discussions & voting from all stakeholders.

18. High income tax collection, adopt progressive taxation. Ensure 100% tax collection. Easy tax calculation tools for publics.

19. Promote local investors and local production over foreign investment. Large tax subsidies to set up new plants & factories. Imports on plants & machinery. Multi year tax concessions to new large scale manufacturing units. Government to incentivise local production.

20. Heavy emphasis on industrialisation, technology, IT, future technology. Government should provide special assistance & tax free operation to all R&D companies.

21. Government should offer free education till high school/secondary school. Interest free educational loans for university/ college education.

22. Government to provide free national health cover.

If I was the leader of Pakistan I would do:

1) Get rid of dual nationality
2) Do Business contracts with China to industrialize Pakistan while we repay them within certain time limits
3) Rely on China and try a new experiment, put all our eggs in one basket which is China
4) Export all agricultural and textiles goods to China
5) Buy Machinery and heavy industry goods from China.

6) Get rid of democracy and implement one party state system like in China

As another democratic nation, I would focus on the Pakistani people first since democracy result comes from the society.

1. We cannot force our will in democracy, if the other party win the game, then accept the game and prepare for next election. Leaving the parliament just because loosing on the game base on parliamentary system is childis and emotional

2. If the other party try to fix the economy, then help them, while making demonstration to protest the hike of fuel is contraproductive for country long term and short term economic challenge

3. Be patient in the game, 1-2 years waiting for another election is not really long time

4. Try not to make the society too toxic and divided by accusing another party as imported government and attack Pakistani who support them.

My advice is to get rid dual nationality and form all out alliance with China.

Pakistan First.

Put all of our eggs in one basket. Its sound risky, but it might be worth it.

Atleast China would treat Pakistan as much as their own country and make cities like Shanghai and Hong Kong.

I will go for forced sterilization as overpopulation has caused most of the issues.

Back
Top Bottom