What's new

How to trigger 1.4 billion Chinese people with five words? A joke that millions of Chinese can't take

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

How to trigger 1.4 billion Chinese people with five words? A joke that millions of Chinese can't take​

The biggest story in China this past week is about a joke that costed two million dollars. Xiaoguo Culture, one of China’s leading comedy show companies has been fined $2 Million, after one of its comedians drew a parallel between stray dogs and China’s People’s Liberation Army at a standup show in Beijing last weekend.

Under Xi, some Chinese have become sensitive snowflakes. A resilient culture can take a joke and laugh at itself.

Nothing to do with Xi in this issue.
It actually does. He's the most authoritarian Chinese president by far since Mao.
Fining a comedian $2million is an even bigger joke for China.🤣 I think your CCP should just ban comedy. No point to be honest.
Its no wonder your entertainment industry punches way below its weight, since harsh censorship has ensured that Chinese entertainers are fearful and uncertain about what kind of content they should put out, even when they get sole inspiration, so many adopt a better safe than sorry approach. This stiffles creativity.

It actually does. He's the most authoritarian Chinese president by far since Mao.
Fining a comedian $2million is an even bigger joke for China.🤣 I think your CCP should just ban comedy. No point to be honest.
Its no wonder your entertainment industry punches way below its weight, since harsh censorship has ensured that Chinese entertainers are fearful and uncertain about what kind of content they should put out, even when they get sole inspiration, so many adopt a better safe than sorry approach. This stiffles creativity.
The joke first aroused Chinese netizens anger and became hottest topic in social platforms. Government issued punishment several days later as a reply to public opinion. How could this be authoritarian?

China has also banned LGBTQ and some Japanese performers. Ideology is expressed through the arts.
Why the F**! this Beijing club have a known pedo plasted on the wall?

It goes way beyond Chinese entertainers...make a quick joke about China in a Comedy routine in Malaysia and they cancel your Bilibili and Weibo accounts.

Netizens are crying for blood, what do you expect the government to do? even a strong government doesn't want to mess with the general public.

You misunderstood the order of events. Firstly, the video was circulating online, and then it sparked the anger of a large number of netizens. Secondly, a large number of netizens reported it to legal institutions, and finally, legal institutions punished XiaoGuo Company.

You have no understanding of the noble status of PLA in the hearts of Chinese people, insulting them not only violates the law, but also arouses public anger.

It goes way beyond Chinese entertainers...make a quick joke about China in a Comedy routine in Malaysia and they cancel your Bilibili and Weibo accounts.
His video program involves the issue of Taiwan's positioning.

Even diplomatic ambassadors who violate this issue will be expelled from China. Does an online video author still want special treatment?

Netizens are crying for blood, what do you expect the government to do? even a strong government doesn't want to mess with the general public.
Behind it is the infiltration of culture and values promoted by the Soros Group. The Chinese netizen community has long been wary of Xiaoguo Company.

Now that the market value of Xiaoguo Company, which is worth 4 billion yuan (600 million US dollars), has all returned to zero, Soros' expression must be very exciting.

Like other Chinese posters here have said, it's the Chinese people that is sensitive lol. I mean, just look at how many of them get offended over little things on the internet. Even on this forum they get very defensive when you mean no harm.

Maybe under Xi, nationalism has gotten even more intense but it's always there. I remember when I was a kid way back before Xi they like to say phrases like "伤害了13亿中国人民的感情 (hurting the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese people)".

Screenshot_20230529_085312_edit_3864026786274453.jpg

34:37

Like other Chinese posters here have said, it's the Chinese people that is sensitive lol. I mean, just look at how many of them get offended over little things on the internet. Even on this forum they get very defensive when you mean no harm.

Maybe under Xi, nationalism has gotten even more intense but it's always there. I remember when I was a kid way back before Xi they like to say phrases like "伤害了13亿中国人民的感情 (hurting the feelings of 1.3 billion Chinese people)".

View attachment 932114

34:37
Are you also implementing the Patriot Act?

Screenshot_20230519_101931.jpg

I still remember every joke you made. LOL. Is this caused by your genes or living environment?

Every group of people have their own redlines. For Muslim you cannot make fun of Mohamad, I don’t know what it is for Christian’s. In India recently cow killing has become a redline although I feel it’s a manufactured redline. Usually redlines have to do with one personality or symbol. So it’s not unusual.

you are correct . unlike you and me who have access to various view points and form our own opinions (right or wrong, for or against), the Chinese view is forced to be shaped by what it is fed. Their news is constantly scrubbed out. So the sh1t which is given to the prc people by Xi (Xhit <- joke material), is what they consume and the subsequent regurgitation here.

Back
Top Bottom