What's new

How to increase the quality of football in South Asia?

Koovie

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
What do you guys think can be done to improve the performance of our football players?

I mean we have around 1.5 billion people in this area of the world, yet we dont have a single team participating in one of the most awaited events this year, and this is probably not going to change for the next years or even decades.

I think that we could start improving matters in India by finding more sponsors for our football federation. Companies like Tata, Reliance etc could use this to improve their PR.
Sure most people still hang to Cricket, but there is a significant number of football enthusiasts as well and the number of potential fans is surely impressive.

And hiring better trainers and their teams is certainly another crucial step.

There needs to be a league similar to the IPL to popularise football and give young footballers a goal to aim for.

#nopun

And the shitty one where Mohun Bagan and East Bengal etc play doesn't count.

In todays world media plays an important role...so we need their support to popularize the sport just like we do for cricket..
We need to hire some of the best coaches in the world to train players and league like IPL to find talents..
It may take some time to produce some of the best players..We can do it

Question is, WHY should the quality of football get better in South Asia? Simply because it has a fanatical following elsewhere?

Speaking of the modern times , Usa had the guts and caliber so they delivered it .
We south asians are known for big mouths and lesser actions . When we get a full on trashing by Australia (4-0) who are considered among the least quality sides in the world cup then there is no fucking way we are even gonna qualify for the world cup in our life times .
We gotta keep supporting Brazil , France , England cause we Indians will never make it :hitwall:

Question is, WHY should the quality of football get better in South Asia? Simply because it has a fanatical following elsewhere?

Because its the most favoured sport in the world and cricket is getting boring :P

Furthermore, football has an enormous potential for many industries to increase their PR. Football is physically more challenging than cricket and helps more in building up stamina, coordination, team play etc

I think India need to patronize hockey than Football ! may be football is way more better game then cricket how many people even realize that this year was hockey world cup which was won by Australia and India stood 9th ! Sad we dont even look at this achivement of the country !

football is gaining quite popularity in metros now and is well established in goa , kerala and bengal so i guess it will grow more cause its a good workowt for kids and kids tend to find it much more involving thhan cricket and now even corporates are also funding the upcoming stars ... im very optimistik about football/soccer's future in india :)

I remember there was a story about a boy from Bengal who got a trial for man utd.

But yeah many Asians in Uk are very good at footy, however they never make it big cos they're parent want them to become 'doctors'.

I remember there was a story about a boy from Bengal who got a trial for man utd.

But yeah many Asians in Uk are very good at footy, however they never make it big cos they're parent want them to become 'doctors'.
True but the kids coming up now are starting to get the support my generation would not get from parents.In the next decade we will start to see good asian players coming through.

Start junior football clubs. This will have a follow on effect of kids playing in their free time as well. For football skills all you need is a ball, one goal and 2 or more friends.
The game we used to play:

-1 on goal. The first one on goal is decided by a shooting from 9 meters, whoever scores the ugliest goal or misses, is first up. he has 6 points, all others have 5. Ugliest goal is ball on the ground hit in the center of goal. Best goal is in the corner, or in the corner and off the side posts or top bar.
Goal is approx. 3-4 meters wide and slightly over 2 m high. Indoor football goal dimensions. Doesn't even need to be a proper goal, you can improvise.
-2 or more passing ball
-Game starts when the first ball is passed and touched by the second player. Up until then he can let it go in "out" without consequences
-After the first ball is passed, only one touch is allowed...two touches or more allowed if ball doesn't hit ground in between touches ie if you juggle the ball. If it does drop, the person who dropped it or touched it twice in any other manner then described above, goes on goal
-If the player on goal touches it and it doesn't go in the goal, the one that last touched the ball goes on goal
-If the player on goal touches it after a shot or a pass and the ball goes into any of the the posts or upper bar, he remains on goal
-If the player on goal touches it after a shot or a pass and the ball goes into "out", the shooter /passer goes on goal.
-Hand play is going to goal automatically
-Normal goal counts for 1, goal with heel/head/off the posts/in between the legs counts for 2 and they are counted together. ie if you get a goal with a head and ball touches posts you are deducted 4 points. if by some miracle, it goes in between the keeper's legs, you are insta gibbed. Deducted 6 points, and if you weren't the first on goal, you get the "punishment"!
-When player reaches 0, a penalty is shot, from 9 meters. If he defends it, the penalty shooter goes on goal
-If he gets a goal, his punishment is, turning over, bending, kneeling a bit in such a way that his ass is most exposed. Then all players put the ball on about 6 meters and try to hit it. Everything is allowed, from pussy shots to bombs that make your *** burn for several minutes afterwards. The trick is ofcourse balancing power with accuracy.
-Sometimes, for faster games, the process of getting the first one on goal in line 1 is replaced simply by "who scored the best ass shot" ie if you hit dead center you can be sure you won't be the first on goal in the next game.
-The punishment thing was done for motivation, when there was nothing that awaited the loser, people wouldn't give it their all. When we started to play with it, the quality and pace of the game became way better. Being shot in the *** by let's say 6 ppl, has a certain degrading effect for 14+ year old kids' selfesteem, mostly if there's some girls watching, which happened alot....
Especially, if, when it's all over, you straighten up, turn around and everyone sees you are red in the face as a tomato from all the kneeling and getting hit. :lol:

oh, i remembered this too, if for some reason you ran away from getting punished, you weren't allowed to play for a certain time and you were deemed to be a pussy until you accepted what was waiting on you. Regular runners were outcast from our circle. And that had a consequence of the kid having to go on another playground in search of friends.

Last edited:
Face it, South Asians are hopeless at football. Games like football and rugby etc are just too contact and team orientated sports for them. Unlike cricket, football involves team orientation with contact. South Asians in my view are genetically not moulded for these kind of sports

football is gaining quite popularity in metros now and is well established in goa , kerala and bengal so i guess it will grow more cause its a good workowt for kids and kids tend to find it much more involving thhan cricket and now even corporates are also funding the upcoming stars ... im very optimistik about football/soccer's future in india :)

Yes, football is picking up rapidly in India. And I agree that corporate sponsors are the best hope for Indian football. I hope that they will see the enormous potential in it

Face it, South Asians are hopeless at football. Games like football and rugby etc are just too contact and team orientated sports for them. Unlike cricket, football involves team orientation with contact. South Asians in my view are genetically not moulded for these kind of sports

We have 1.2 billion people of dozens of ethnic groups, we surely have the resources to put together a team of 20-30 players.
Besides, football and rugby are very different in terms of body contact and have you ever seen Korean, Japanese or other teams of smaller and lighter people?

You dont need to have a team of rambos to qualify for the World Cup ;)

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom