What's new

How save is Pakistan for western tourists?

I did Egypt last December and we had our own guide and also did visit non tourist areas. I always wanted also visit the india area but i find India rather repulsive (sorry but its just not my thing...).

Im mostly interested in nature stuff and not so much in big cities.

I know pakistan has propably not that much tourism i guess but best would be mountains, nature and high level hotel.
if you visit india I will take you to see the best places like old delhi , dharavi in mumbai, bihar, orissa, ludhiana, etc.
You will forget Greece and might want to settle down in one of these places.

What do you think about them? They are realy strange i did read they might be related tomus Greeks because they look similar to us and their religion shares much with our own old gods. Maybe they are related to Alexanders troops?
Yes there is a significant possibility. Alexander's army did venture through these areas and ended up in pakistans Punjab.
The red himalayas salt mines at Khewara were discovered by worn down horses of Alexander's army. There is a lot of history there. To get to the kalash people is not easy.

Last edited:
Yes there is a significant possibility. Alexander's army did venture through these areas and ended up in pakistans Punjab.
The red himalayas salt mines at Khewara were discovered by words down horses of Alexander's army. There is a lot of history there. To get to the kalash people is not easy.

Its really interesting area indeed. Its very remote area and i guess in history most invaders did not pay much attention to there since its not a rich place. Wonder what their language sounds like. Maybe its a mix between the local old languages and old greek.

Alexander did this alot btw. He married his soldiers to local women to forge alliances. He was not a racist.

So i guess if some soldiers said they dont want go further and prefer to stay in that wonderful valley.

Its really interesting area indeed. Its very remote area and i guess in history most invaders did not pay much attention to there since its not a rich place. Wonder what their language sounds like. Maybe its a mix between the local old languages and old greek.

Alexander did this alot btw. He married his soldiers to local women to forge alliances. He was not a racist.

So i guess if some soldiers said they dont want go further and prefer to stay in that wonderful valley.
Yes.
The kalah people are here because over the centuries they were persecuted and ended up in the remote but luckily Valley

Most Pakistanis are plain people mountains are a new thing for them so whenever they read word tourism they start sharing the videos of mountainous areas gilgit etc. Jaisay k westerners and Chinese inkay pahar daikhnay k liye maray ja rhay hain
Nope, it's just a lot of tourists are fond of the mountains and it's usually what is shown in the media and what foreigners enjoy experiencing, it's the first thing which appears in your mind regarding Pakistan's tourism. The river valley's and mountains.

But they don't realise people also like the rich historical architecture built hundreds of years ago and what the British built.

You can take the route i took in 2019 with my wife, Go to Islamabad from there hire a private car and make your way to Balakot, don't stop at Muree. Stay there and enjoy the Kiwai/Shogran and Siri Paye like areas for a day or two, then from Balakot go to Kaghan/Naran and Batakundi, Batakundi is heaven on earth i tell you :) you can go all the way to Babur Sir pass, but if you stop a lot for sight seeing then you won't be able to reach Gilgit so I'd say stay night in Naran, then from there make your way to Gilgit, and from there onwards you can go to Naltar valley , Skardu , Deosai National Park, and many many beautiful mountain peaks, you can also go to K2 base camp, Attabad lake, Nanga parbat. my personal recommendation do not miss the Batakundi area :)

Welcome here, no need to worry just come and enjoy your stay. :smitten::smitten:

Ask yourself how save is Pakistan while Corrupt mafia is roaming around freely.

As far as foreign tourist is concerned, they give world a positive view of Pakistan and Pakistani people. they also come and spend their money which is good for our economy.

Those who are concerned about sensitive sites, even normal Pakistanis can’t visit them.

Remember the NZ tourist who tried to visit Peshawar, ISI was watching him closely to make sure he doesn’t contact any TTP/RAW handler. Now he is banned in india due to failed mission.

Greece is also a conservative country. ;) Im not an idiot and know how to behave. I know Pakistan is not the typical travel destination for the average european and i think i know how to behave. When we were in Egypt this december we also went to El Minya in middle egypt. There is zero tourism there and i had no problem. We also went to Fayum.

I have made the experience that in most cases people in areas with not so much european tourists they react mostly very friendly to impress and one gets treated like a star. 😅

In Egypt we visited tombs in Beni Hasan which is very remote and a school class arrived. They all wanted a picture with us. 😅

I also noticed evrything is possible. For example the tomb of Akhenaten is closed for visitors but the mayor of that village went with us there and opened it. He took no money for it. He was simply impressed that we came all the way from Greece to visit there.

Awesome, tourists are very rare in Pakistan outside the big cities so we appreciate anyone that travels and will treat you like royalty. If you want to be more incognito, just wear salwar kameez and a hat and even the whitest european will look Pakistani.

Awesome, tourists are very rare in Pakistan outside the big cities so we appreciate anyone that travels and will treat you like royalty. If you want to be more incognito, just wear salwar kameez and a hat and even the whitest european will look Pakistani.
Clothing nit required. Most Pakistani wear western clothing especially in the mountains

only former tribal areas are shaky nowadays not the whole, Chitral and swat are very peaceful
He might be particularly interested in Chitral as they are descendants of Alexander’s Greeks , and visiting them may give him some insight into his own people’s culture, from even before Roman times. I say some insight, because obviously the Kalash have their own culture that has evolved in the thousands of years since Alexander came through the region, but elements of the culture may still be there.

Clothing nit required. Most Pakistani wear western clothing especially in the mountains

White people who look european wearing western clothes look like tourists. Wearing local clothes they will look Pathan or Kashmiri.

Anyway if OP doesnt mind getting the tourist treatment then they probably will dress however they want.

Correct. @Apollon : Look at this picture I took many years ago during one of my visits to Pakistan. This is from 2005! This guy is almost certainly a Pathan from northern Pakistan. And he looks almost exactly like an Irish-American friend of mine! The friend was astounded by the similarities!

Pathan_HawkesBay_Karachi.JPG

Back
Top Bottom