What's new

How Pakistan secures its nuclear weapons

Pakistan’s nuclear controls safe and sophisticated
* NYT report says Nuclear Command Authority leaders are thought to be ‘military professionals first, and therefore responsible’
By Khalid Hasan

WASHINGTON: “Pakistan has a sophisticated Nuclear Command Authority, with layers upon layers of protection, some of them installed with the help of a covert American program that has already spent more than $100 million,” according to David Sanger of the New York Times.

Writing in the newspaper’s blog, Sanger, the NYT bureau chief in Washington, remarks that the nuclear command authority’s leaders are Musharraf “acolytes” but they are thought to be “military professionals first, and therefore responsible.” He observes that unified leadership at the top still counts. “The problem is that Pakistan has a great deal of nuclear material, and is making more at a quick pace. Its facilities are spread out, so that India could not easily attack them all. The intelligence service, the ISI, has deeply divided sympathies, with many supporting the Taliban and extremist causes. And the bulk of the military isn’t much better,” Sanger writes.

Sanger says that there were “shudders” felt in Washington over Pakistan even before Musharraf resigned in mid-August rather than face impeachment. Knowing Musharraf was on thin ice, the United States government had already run “tabletop exercises” in which a Pakistani descent into chaos would leave everyone wondering who was in control of that country’s nuclear arsenal. Would it be the new elected prime minister, whom the military deeply distrusts? The army? The small clique of trusted Musharraf aides who built the country’s nuclear security system, but no longer have a patron? The worries about Pakistan and North Korea, “two unsteady nuclear powers have begun to change thinking among officials in Washington who used to focus principally on the awful scenario that a nuclear weapon might pass straight from a government to a terrorist group.”

Sanger writes that it is not that anyone is more sanguine about the possibility of a terror group acquiring enough nuclear material to set off an atomic bomb in an American city. But that is still the number 1 worry. The way the problem is analysed is beginning to shift, however. A senior intelligence official in charge of monitoring Pakistan’s nuclear programme told Sanger, “You know, we used to have this great distinction between ‘states with nukes’ that we could deter the old-fashioned way, and ‘groups with nukes’ that we couldn’t deter.” But today, the official said, “our biggest problem may be groups within states” that could take advantage of political chaos to seize what they need, either to sell it or to win a struggle for leadership of the country. To experts in the Bush administration, what’s happening today in countries like North Korea and Pakistan poses a far higher statistical risk of letting loose nukes out the door than Iraq ever did.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

is not ISI under federal govt, or its a separate organization,

second, do u think, terrorists can snatch some nukes from pakistan, or some material or some info, is it so easy???

NYT report says Nuclear Command Authority leaders are thought to be ‘military professionals first, and therefore responsible’

US certification - ain't it grand! Who needs it?

By the logic of the byline - ISI are also military professionals, why the US will not certify them??

Silly ad hoc BS passing for policy - The latest psyops feature about Dr. you know who failed, so they'll try something else.

One wonders which planet these live on? how can they be so alienated from world opinion - fooling all the people, all the time?? Sure, why not? Cuz the only people fooled are your own, all they know is fear, they are distracted from how U.S has been diminished - just read the economic nuz.

Dear Moderators and users, Assalamu Alaikum.I'm from Bangladesh. This is my first post in this forum. Hope you guys are doing great. Anyways, actually I was thinking that may be because of US pressure on Mr. Musharraf, he dismantled/disarmed all the nuclear weapons. May be he ripped of the uranium/plutonium core from the unit or may be replaced the electronic chips with fake ones. As A.Q. Khan is also in house arrest so this is quite fishy.

So my question is, Do you really think that those weapons will work in future when necessary?

Dear Moderators and users, Assalamu Alaikum.I'm from Bangladesh. This is my first post in this forum. Hope you guys are doing great. Anyways, actually I was thinking that may be because of US pressure on Mr. Musharraf, he dismantled/disarmed all the nuclear weapons. May be he ripped of the uranium/plutonium core from the unit or may be replaced the electronic chips with fake ones. As A.Q. Khan is also in house arrest so this is quite fishy.

So my question is, Do you really think that those weapons will work in future when necessary?

You should go back and read this thread because then you would learn how this is a very unlikely and improbable scenario.

but indian media makes propagenda with there whole power against dr.AQ KHAN.
:argh::argh::argh:

Who gives a **** about so called "Indian media"? Indian media is actually the media that brings their inside dirty nature to international community. It's also a nasty political tool to cover their own failures by blaming others. They always try to make themselves as "Innocent and Noble" to international community by blaming their neighbors because India and Israel are actually a minority in international community with controversial religion. Because look, Islam,Christian,Buddhist has lots of religious brothers but these are the two nations that are actually isolated. They gotta survive,man !

Anyways, It's just my personal statement and I don't know how many will agree with me. I'm saying sorry in advance if my statement reflects/indicates any racial words.

Whoof! :bunny:

[Because look, Islam,Christian,Buddhist has lots of religious brothers but these are the two nations that are actually isolated. They gotta survive,man !

Rome, Misra(Egypt), Unan mit gaye jaha se .....
Kuch baat hai aise, hasti mit ti nahi hamari....
Sadiyaon raha hai dushman daur-e jahan hamara....

Who gives a **** about so called "Indian media"? Indian media is actually the media that brings their inside dirty nature to international community. It's also a nasty political tool to cover their own failures by blaming others. They always try to make themselves as "Innocent and Noble" to international community by blaming their neighbors because India and Israel are actually a minority in international community with controversial religion. Because look, Islam,Christian,Buddhist has lots of religious brothers but these are the two nations that are actually isolated. They gotta survive,man !
Anyways, It's just my personal statement and I don't know how many will agree with me. I'm saying sorry in advance if my statement reflects/indicates any racial words.

Whoof! :bunny:

Is this the best you can think of ?

Controversial religion ?!!! Good morning.

[Because look, Islam,Christian,Buddhist has lots of religious brothers but these are the two nations that are actually isolated. They gotta survive,man !

I can't understand a word plez write in English or don't bother

Pakistan has to be very careful in terms of securing the nuclear weapons as opposing countries want to get close to them.

Why so much emphasis on Pakistan only?
I think this scenario is highly likely in other countries as well.

With the number of nuclear weapons maintained by US and Russia...doesn't make sense for them to be so worried about Pakistani arsenal (peanuts in comparison). :crazy:
In terms of probability it would be easier for a well financed terrorist organization with local sympathizers to gain access to weapons from these countries due to the sheer numbers present!

I believe with recent WMD related incidents in US it is obvious that WMD storage and authorization protocols in place are not as strict as they would have us believe.
In such a scenario would it not be possible for a person (like Timothy Mcveigh) to get his hands on such material and take revenge from his own government.

Similarly after the breakup of USSR and the subsequent economic meltdown can we not assume that the tons of weapons grade nuclear material in the Ex Soviet States has been provided foolproof security till date?
I think even some instances have been quoted in the past regarding missing or unaccounted for WMDs in Ex Soviet States.

There are Anti Muslim extremist groups present in Israel and India as well and they can also pose a similar threat in the long run.

In my humble opinion other countries maybe a lot more vulnerable than they think or admit and that in itself is synonymous to inviting trouble!!!

They are well safe !! its not a cheap toy that would be just hanign around for anyone to get there hands on lol .......

Mr remember the 1987 Indo-Pak tention when President Zia-ul-Haq suddenely visted India n tention was finished

Do u knw wht was reason due to which tention was finished?

I tell u when Zia-ul-Haq returned to Pak in 1987, at indian airport he said to Indian PM that "There r abt 50 muslim conturies if pakistan is destroyed Islam will live alive in othr conturies but on the other hand if India is destroyed Hinduism will remain no more:pakistan:

Mr remember the 1987 Indo-Pak tention when President Zia-ul-Haq suddenely visted India n tention was finished

Do u knw wht was reason due to which tention was finished?

I tell u when Zia-ul-Haq returned to Pak in 1987, at indian airport he said to Indian PM that "There r abt 50 muslim conturies if pakistan is destroyed Islam will live alive in othr conturies but on the other hand if India is destroyed Hinduism will remain no more:pakistan:

hahaa,
now i not surprised that Zia was so inclined towards religion. for you i wanna say its not about survival of religion its about survival of country, India remained for thousand of years [faced many invasions]it will remain till the humanity survives regardless whats the religion of people of this land.

hahaa,
now i not surprised that Zia was so inclined towards religion. for you i wanna say its not about survival of religion its about survival of country, India remained for thousand of years [faced many invasions]it will remain till the humanity survives regardless whats the religion of people of this land.

If its abt survival of country then why Ghandi drew back the army in 1987. At that time Pakistan was not nuclear power while India is nuclear power since 1974 if i m rite.
Then india had chance to destroy Pak bt which thing prohibted the Ghandi?
That thing was survival of India n Hinduism
PAKISTAN ZINDABAD
:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom