What's new

how many years it took to build tejas?? lets settle the issue once for all

karan21

Reaction score
Timeline of HAL Tejas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1960s

Indian government accepted the recommendation by its Aeronautics Committee that Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) should design and develop an advanced technology fighter aircraft around a proven engine
[edit]1970s

HAL completed design studies in 1975, but the project fell through due to inability to procure the selected "proven engine" from a foreign manufacturer and unfulfilled IAF requirements
[edit]1980s

DRDO obtained permission to initiate a programme to design and develop a Light Combat Aircraft
Government of India set up Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in 1984 as the nodal agency for managing and developing the LCA.
IAF submits Air Staff Requirements (ASR) for LCA in October 1985. This was initiated by the then Air Chief Marshal Idris Hassan Latif.
Government allocates 575 crores for the LCA programme.
Programme to develop an indigenous powerplant (engine) was launched at GTRE.
Project definition commenced in October 1987 with French Dassault Aviation as consultants.
Project definition completed in September 1988.
Government review committee expresses confidence in LCA programme. It was decided that the programme will be carried out in two phases.
[edit]1990s

Design of LCA was finalised as a small delta winged relaxed static stability aircraft.
Phase 1 of the development was commenced to create the proof of concept system. Financial problems within India prevented full scale operations from starting.
Full funding started from April 1993 full-scale development work for phase 1 started in June.
First technology demonstrator, TD-1, rolled out on 17 November 1995 and was followed by TD-2 in 1998. However, technical problems in flight control systems and structural deficiencies plagued the prototypes and they remained grounded.
Multi-Mode Radar (MMR) for LCA design work started at HAL’s Hyderabad division and the LRDE.
[edit]2000s

Development assistance sought from Snecma on the Kaveri engine.[1]
4 January - LCA’s maiden flight successfully completed by Technology Demonstrator TD-1, on 2001. Prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee renames LCA as Tejas.
6 June - TD-2 makes a successful maiden flight.
MMR system was reported to be not working as per the criteria laid down in requirements.
25 November - PV-1 makes a successful maiden flight.
1 December - PV-2 makes a successful maiden flight.
13 May - The PV-2 went supersonic for the first time
14 May - The PV-2 went supersonic again, but this time in a weaponised state (i.e., carrying weapons such as missiles and an internal gun).
1 December - The PV-3 flew for the first time for 27 minutes at an altitude of 2.5 km and at a speed of Mach 0.8. The PV-3 was equipped with a more advanced pilot interface, refined avionics and higher control law capabilities compared with the previous versions.

Tejas PV-1 firing an R-73 missile during weapons trials in Goa
25 April - The first Limited Series Production LCA (LSP-1) made its first flight and it reached a speed of Mach 1.1.
PV-2 and PV-3 underwent sea-level trails at INS Rajali Naval Air Station, Arakkonam to study the effects of flying at sea-level, as all earlier trials have been conducted at Bangalore which is 3,000 feet (910 m) above sea-level.[2][3] The reliability of the LCA systems under the hot and humid conditions, as well as low level flight characteristics was tested.[4][5] It is due to this intense flight testing schedule that the LCA was not able to fly at the Paris air show-2007, as was originally planned.[6]
7 September - Tejas Prototype Vehicle (PV-1) made a successful maiden flight with two 800 litre drop tanks.[7][8]
25 October - Tejas PV-1 fired a Vympel R-73 missile for first time. The trials were conducted off the Goa coast at INS Hansa Naval Air Station.[9]
11 December - LITENING targeting pod was successfully tested on Tejas PV-2.[10]

HAL Tejas high-altitude trials at Leh successfully completed by December 2008.
7 February - Tejas Prototype Vehicle (PV-1) made a successful flight powered by fuel from two 800 litre drop tanks. It made a one hour and 24 minute long sortie. On internal fuel LCA can perform a 40-minute sortie.[11]
April - First Flight with HMDS[12]
LCA Tejas prototypes PV-2 & PV-3 underwent hot weather flight trials at Air Force Station, Nagpur from 28 May 2008 to 4 June 2008. The trials were declared successful.
16 June - Tejas second Limited Series Production LCA (LSP-2) made its first flight and it reached a speed of Mach 1.1.
7 November - LCA Prototype Vehicle-3 made first successful night flight.[13]
13 December - PV-3 and LSP-2 completed the high altitude at the Leh air base.[14]
22 January - Tejas completed 1000 flights.[15]
February - the live bombs test were successfully carried out.[16]
October - PV-3 and LSP-2 completed visual target elimination and air-to-ground weapons delivery trials.[17]
26 November - Two seater (Trainer) version of Tejas(PV-5) made its maiden flight on 26 Nov 09.[18]
7 December - Tejas passed flight flutter test diving from an altitude of four kilometers to almost sea level at 900 feet (270 m). Tejas recorded a speed over 1350 km/h. These tests were conducted at INS Hansa, Goa.[19]
15 December - Indian government sanctioned Rs 8,000 crores to begin production of the fighter jet for the Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.[20]
[edit]2010s

23 April - LCA Tejas LSP-3 Makes Maiden Flight. LSP-3 is almost the final configuration including the new air-data computers, Hybrid Multi Mode Radar, new communication and navigation equipment and radar warning receiver. With this the LCA programme has completed 1350 test flights logging about 800 flying hours.[21]
2 June - LCA Tejas LSP-4 Makes Maiden Flight. The flight marks the first time for a Tejas aircraft flying in the configuration that will be finally delivered to the Indian Air Force.[22] In addition to the Hybrid MMR, the aircraft also flew with a functioning Countermeasure Dispensing System [23]
19 November - LCA Tejas LSP-5 Makes Maiden Flight. Goes supersonic in first flight. [24]
10 January - Certification for the Release to Services with assured safety and specified performance for IOC.[25]
26 January - LCA Tejas Participates in the 26 January Republic Day Celebrations by being paraded at New Delhi.

no trolling just discussion based on timeline and sourcess ...plzzzzzzzzzz

hmm well the lsp 8 is pretty much the final version of the plane and one more lsp plane then we r done with this.

I dont want to derail the thread but i am more concerned about the kaveri because it was specifically started along with tejas and for tejas I believe.

I dont want to derail the thread but i am more concerned about the kaveri because it was specifically started along with tejas and for tejas I believe.

kaveri was a part of tejas program now its not. but hal still wants to use it in tejas so yes its still related to this program in some way.

19 years (actually how long it has taken) despite 0 manufacturing base,0 technical knowledge, US sanctions, feeble budget, limited resources, limited manpower and little outside help to produce an advanced 4.5 gen lightweight fighter really is quite an ACHIEVEMENT. 0 crashes to date speaks for itself.

19 years (actually how long it has taken) despite 0 manufacturing base,0 technical knowledge, US sanctions, feeble budget, limited resources, limited manpower and little outside help to produce an advanced 4.5 gen lightweight fighter really is quite an ACHIEVEMENT. 0 crashes to date speaks for itself.

according to you when did the program actually started and when do u see it ending?

according to you when did the program actually started and when do u see it ending?

I'd say the LCA program "proper" started in 1993 when funds were released and backing given before then the project was just another feasibility project (govts to 100s of these a year on a wide range of things with most coming to naught).

LCA to me is a good attempt. We got the airframe done in no time. The specs were frozen. But engine is where the problems start. The engine got delayed. The later prototypes took too much time to materialize. Then radars got outdated. Newer radars sourced. Then specs change again. Blah blah.

LCA was too ambitious according to me. Engine was a complex thing to develop and it shouldn't have been a part of LCA. Its good we have separated the two programs now. Things are finally turning out good now. Lets see how much time it takes to deliver the LSP-8

Hi,

Approximately when is LSP-8 scheduled to fly? Will it be fitted with GE-414 engine which will come around late 2013? I am asking because if it is not with GE-414 then how will the full flight envelope of MK2 be understood?

Or is it that upto LSP-8 it is the MK1 version and after this again some more work for MK2 will need to be done?

Off topic but if anyone would like to reply... JF-17 blk 2 & 3 will be decent aircrafts due to the avionics package. Is it the intention of IAF to make LCA MK2 to be able to take on JF-17 one-on-one or will the two be optimised to serve different purposes and a comparison is futile?

Edit: I just read that LSP-8 will be handed over in the next few months for final IOC. So quite some work left for HAL...

good for our local market lots of thing we learn , lca is just first thing but now we have to think mca

time has come when we have to increase our speed

we know how to walk now we have be race

Hi,

Approximately when is LSP-8 scheduled to fly? Will it be fitted with GE-414 engine which will come around late 2013? I am asking because if it is not with GE-414 then how will the full flight envelope of MK2 be understood?

Or is it that upto LSP-8 it is the MK1 version and after this again some more work for MK2 will need to be done?

Off topic but if anyone would like to reply... JF-17 blk 2 & 3 will be decent aircrafts due to the avionics package. Is it the intention of IAF to make LCA MK2 to be able to take on JF-17 one-on-one or will the two be optimised to serve different purposes and a comparison is futile?

Edit: I just read that LSP-8 will be handed over in the next few months for final IOC. So quite some work left for HAL...

LSP-8 will probably take another 5 months. It will be the last mk1 series test aircraft. Mk2's gonna be a whole new ball game.

As for your other question. I personally, dont believe china has achieved a level of technological sophistication in avionics yet. Maybe this will happen by the time we start inducting lcamk2. Thing is, even in the mk1 config, an lca's more a match for the jf-17. The mk2 will give it a sort of quantum leap in terms of flight characteristics. Engine thrust alone will be increased over 60%. . Then you'll have an aesa radar, better ew suites. The mk2 will be up there with the best 4.5 gens

is there a list of all avionics and systems in tejas also including the country they r sourced from (india or foreign)?
can anyone post it, would be really helpful in understanding 100% development of the plane.
thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom