What's new

How Does Sri Lanka Compare With Lower Middle-Income Economies?

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
How Does Sri Lanka Compare With Lower Middle-Income Economies?

Sri Lanka’s growing economy has helped it go from being a low-income economy to a lower middle-income economy (LMIE), as observed by The World Bank. But where does Sri Lanka stand when compared to other countries in its new peer group?

We sifted through the data, and here’s what we learned. (We used World Bank data from 2014, since those were the most recent, and most reliable, at the time of writing).

SL_vs._LMIC.png

Sri Lanka compared to other lower middle-income countries. Data courtesy The World Bank.

Certain things in the infographic above are no-brainers, while others are actually surprising.

Take for instance, the health related statistics. Most lower middle-income economies have vastly underdeveloped healthcare infrastructure, which is reflected in the shorter lifespans and higher mortality rates. In this respect, Sri Lanka somewhat stands shoulder to shoulder with high-income countries, largely thanks to the investments made in the health sector by successive governments since independence. Obviously, Sri Lanka’s free universal healthcare policy has also been instrumental in reducing mortality rates across the board.

The same holds true for things like the provision of sanitation facilities, and clean drinking water. Sri Lanka is far, far ahead of its peers when it comes to basic metrics such as these. Depending on how you look at it, one could say that the island’s size has worked to its advantage here.

It is also helpful to think carefully about Sri Lanka’s relatively higher population density (331 people per sq. km compared to an average of 142 people per sq. km for LMIEs). For one, Sri Lanka is a really, really small country, which puts land at a premium. Couple rising incomes with rapid urbanisation and you will have more people buying more vehicles, and generally becoming more mobile. The resulting strain on the country’s infrastructure, both hard and soft, will, at some point in the future, weigh down the economy, thus preventing it from growing any further. Obviously, that is every policymaker’s worst nightmare.

A growing economy will need better healthcare systems, better transportation systems, and more. The solution to these problems is not hiking taxes on vehicles and the like, but actually taking steps to come up with comprehensive, long-term,and economically viable solutions. Sadly though, the island’s policymakers have never been too keen on tackling the hard problems.

That’s not all though.

Look at the statistic for high tech exports, as a percentage of manufactured exports. Compared to other lower middle-income countries, Sri Lanka’s exports are very simple. This simplicity means that whatever Sri Lanka produces for export, can be reproduced in another place with no noticeable difference. Therefore, countries which have a lower cost base than Sri Lanka’s will have no problem in stealing market share. This is why it is imperative for Sri Lanka to turn its economy into a complex, high-tech economy. As things stand, Sri Lanka occupies the 115th slot (out of 144 countries) in the MIT Economic Complexity index. Vietnam, perhaps the island’s closest export competitor, occupies the 93rd slot.

One way out of this problem is to focus on the service sector, which is the main driver of the Sri Lankan economy anyway. Rising internet penetration will allow for the entire country to come online, further facilitating the growth of a robust service sector. However, just like any decision, this too would come at a cost. In order to make the economy more efficient, the country will have to rethink the strategies employed by its other two sectors, Agriculture, and Manufacturing. Focusing on high-tech sub-sectors like Bio-tech could be one way to go, provided enough resources are available. The country will have to stop trying to produce everything it wants within the county itself, meaning Sri Lanka will have to embrace free trade wholeheartedly, much like Singapore, Dubai, and Hong Kong. Needless to say, that is going to take a lot of time, and will be a very politically challenging decision to take.

The key takeaway from this data set is that while Sri Lanka is way ahead of its peers when it comes to basic infrastructure, the same cannot be said for the country’s economy. Unless corrective action is taken, Sri Lanka’s fate will be very similar to that of the hare which decided to race the tortoise. The country managed to get a head start on its peers by liberalising its economy in 1978. The reforms which accompanied the move increased incomes, and boosted the standard of living. But the lethargic attitude adopted by the country in the decades since have cost it dearly, with exports declining steadily since the year 2000. In today’s fast-paced global economy, resting on your laurels is just not an option. It is time for Sri Lanka to wake up to the reality.

Featured image courtesy wikimedia.org

http://roar.lk/economy/sri-lanka-vs-lower-middle-income-economies/

@Godman @Saradiel @NGV-H @Nilgiri @Shotgunner51

What is the current per capita income in terms of PPP and nominal?

My colleague highly praised tourism in Sri Lanka when she returned.
Yes, she, traveled alone.
She even wrote a very detailed travelogue in Wechat from which I know we can directly get in contact with a local driver on China's B2C/C2C tourist websites. She highly phrased her driver and she enjoyed everything in Sri Lanka from the tree hotel, ancient cities to all the people she had encountered on the road.
As far as I know, @Chinese Bamboo and her mother will soon travel in Sri Lanka and Maldive.
Chinese members can search Wechat public account @恬趣的日子 to enjoy her photos and very detailed travel guide.
@TaiShang @Tiqiu @bobsm @cirr @grey boy 2 @Dungeness @JSCh @Mista
@GS Zhou @beijingwalker

56426e0bN9b081fb2.jpg
Sri_Lanka_travel_guide_-_13th_edition.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know, @Chinese Bamboo and her mother will soon travel in Sri Lanka and Maldive.
My whole family to be exact,roughly after I get acceptance notification from university.
My other relatives will visit Sri Lanka next year.
I am looking forward to visiting Sri Lanka..!!! I can't wait !!! XD

I will travel to Sri Lanka in 2017 or 2018.
Unfortunately 2016 has been already ordered! :D

Nice mate.. check out this thread on videos made by other visitors to the island.. You'll get a lot of ideas where to go and what to see, Also anther good idea is to go through travel forums like Tripadvisor Lankan section.. I'm sure you'll have a blast

https://defence.pk/threads/sri-lanka-through-outside-eyes.420546/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293961-i8983-Sri_Lanka.html

Nice mate.. check out this thread on videos made by other visitors to the island.. You'll get a lot of ideas where to go and what to see, Also anther good idea is to go through travel forums like Tripadvisor Lankan section.. I'm sure you'll have a blast

https://defence.pk/threads/sri-lanka-through-outside-eyes.420546/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293961-i8983-Sri_Lanka.html
Thanks mate.
Actually I have bought lonely planet Sri Lanka years ago, both chinese and english edition.
I guess I have to buy a new version since it is upgraded every 2 years, though 2 years of course cannot show the rapid changes in local tourism. My city's printed map is upgraded every 2 month, Baidu's electronic map upgraded weekly!

Look at the statistic for high tech exports, as a percentage of manufactured exports. Compared to other lower middle-income countries, Sri Lanka’s exports are very simple. This simplicity means that whatever Sri Lanka produces for export, can be reproduced in another place with no noticeable difference. Therefore, countries which have a lower cost base than Sri Lanka’s will have no problem in stealing market share. This is why it is imperative for Sri Lanka to turn its economy into a complex, high-tech economy. As things stand, Sri Lanka occupies the 115th slot (out of 144 countries) in the MIT Economic Complexity index. Vietnam, perhaps the island’s closest export competitor, occupies the 93rd slot.

Sri Lanka needs to spend more on R&D and state banks should stop giving loans to loss making already debt ridden SOEs and start supporting SMEs as recomended here. There are links to other reports as well
https://thecurionomist.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/shifting-lending-from-soes-to-smes

It is also helpful to think carefully about Sri Lanka’s relatively higher population density (331 people per sq. km compared to an average of 142 people per sq. km for LMIEs). For one, Sri Lanka is a really, really small country, which puts land at a premium. Couple rising incomes with rapid urbanisation and you will have more people buying more vehicles, and generally becoming more mobile. The resulting strain on the country’s infrastructure, both hard and soft, will, at some point in the future, weigh down the economy, thus preventing it from growing any further. Obviously, that is every policymaker’s worst nightmare.

I dont think there will be much vehcile buying anymore and most Sri Lankans would be in the megapolis region where there would be some major upgrades in public transport.
rail electrification should start in afew years when a ADB loan is finalized but Rail upgrade is already going on
One way out of this problem is to focus on the service sector, which is the main driver of the Sri Lankan economy anyway. Rising internet penetration will allow for the entire country to come online, further facilitating the growth of a robust service sector. However, just like any decision, this too would come at a cost. In order to make the economy more efficient, the country will have to rethink the strategies employed by its other two sectors, Agriculture, and Manufacturing. Focusing on high-tech sub-sectors like Bio-tech could be one way to go, provided enough resources are available.
Bio-tech makes sense, Sri Lanka should also try to develop the pharma industry.
Agri sector needs to be brought to the 21st century and certain subsidies needs to be removed. Biggest issue specially in Rice production is its mostly done by small farmers and only for local consumption not for export.
I think Sri Lanka could get Japanese and Chinese manufacturing industries

Also boost shipbuildingwith new shipyards in south and east with foreign partnerships

The country will have to stop trying to produce everything it wants within the county itself, meaning Sri Lanka will have to embrace free trade wholeheartedly, much like Singapore, Dubai, and Hong Kong. Needless to say, that is going to take a lot of time, and will be a very politically challenging decision to take.

This is 100% true, I have always said that Sri lanka needs to develop ties with all countries and sign trade agreements and FTAs with major markets. However we lack proffesionals for that job when all those countries mentioned have more than enough.
Singapore is ready start work on a FTA but Sri Lanka isnt ready yet our FTA with China is also taking too long. But we only gave serious attention to this side last year with the Minsitry of Foreign trade being created.
The key takeaway from this data set is that while Sri Lanka is way ahead of its peers when it comes to basic infrastructure, the same cannot be said for the country’s economy. Unless corrective action is taken, Sri Lanka’s fate will be very similar to that of the hare which decided to race the tortoise. The country managed to get a head start on its peers by liberalising its economy in 1978. The reforms which accompanied the move increased incomes, and boosted the standard of living. But the lethargic attitude adopted by the country in the decades since have cost it dearly, with exports declining steadily since the year 2000. In today’s fast-paced global economy, resting on your laurels is just not an option. It is time for Sri Lanka to wake up to the reality.

There are idiots who are desperately trying to show economic liberalization is badn and are desperately covering their eyes and ears for that there is a such idiot right here in PDF.
Unless Sri Lanka opens up SL can never take maximum benefit of its position and ports.
Even though we are expanding our port infratsructure the polcies needed arent in place.

Last edited:
My colleague highly praised tourism in Sri Lanka when she returned.
Yes, she, traveled alone.
She even wrote a very detailed travelogue in Wechat from which I know we can directly get in contact with a local driver on China's B2C/C2C tourist websites. She highly phrased her driver and she enjoyed everything in Sri Lanka from the tree hotel, ancient cities to all the people she had encountered on the road.
Chinese members can search Wechat public account @恬趣的日子 to enjoy her photos and very detailed travel guide.
@TaiShang @Tiqiu @bobsm @cirr @grey boy 2 @Dungeness @JSCh @Mista
@GS Zhou @beijingwalker

View attachment 314063 View attachment 314064

tourism industry is booming, new hotels and resorts are coming up everywhere

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life...ra-peace-haven-resort--spa-tangalle-sri-lanka
&NCS_modified=20160627162939&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-160629110.jpg
EP-160629110.jpg&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&NCS_modified=20160627162939

http://www.outsideonline.com/2092281/base-camp-lake-superior

Great!
That's what international tourists are looking for, safety, infra and scenery, all vital.
U can compare to the number of Chinese tourists to Sri Lanka and Maldive.
Both countries to China are quite far but actually of similar distance by air.
Better infra and tighter transport connection will definitely attract more tourists from East Asia.
There is daily direct flight from my city in Central China to Maldive, but no direct flight to Sri Lanka yet.
Potential is huge!

06880989-8185-42E6-958F-EF138A8D17AF.png

0E79237C-DF9D-4751-A95D-A3904AA6DDDE.png

Sri Lanka needs to spend more on R&D and state banks should stop giving loans to loss making already debt ridden SOEs and start supporting SMEs as recomended here. There are links to other reports as well
https://thecurionomist.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/shifting-lending-from-soes-to-smes

What is the use in R&D when there is no worthwhile industry is there to put the new found knowledge into? Furthermore it is important to transform the loss making SOEs to making profits rather than sell them outright to private organizations. That is what the government is for.

Today SMEs are facing challenges to survive in the fledgling economy of Sri Lanka mainly because of the current government's ill suited decisions. First is the increasement of the VAT amount. Second is the unprofessional attitude of the Inland revenue department on the SMEs and the third is the lack of hard currency to run SMEs due to the poor cash flow among middle class people.

I dont think there will be much vehcile buying anymore and most Sri Lankans would be in the megapolis region where there would be some major upgrades in public transport

Don't live in fantasies mate. Megapolis is just in it's inception stage. There is no actual work has started not any investor has invested any money in it. Moreover I don't think it will take off mostly due to the unpredictable political climate of the country.

Bio-tech makes sense, Sri Lanka should also try to develop the pharma industry.
Agri sector needs to be brought to the 21st century and certain subsidies needs to be removed. Biggest issue specially in Rice production is its mostly done by small farmers and only for local consumption not for export.
I think Sri Lanka could get Japanese and Chinese manufacturing industries

Also boost shipbuildingwith new shipyards in south and east with foreign partnerships

The biggest problem with Sri Lanka is that it's labor force is not cheap as 20 years ago. Therefore there is a little chance in attracting high tech industries such as ship building, manufacturing etc., to compete with cheap labor markets such as China, India, Vietnam, Bangladesh etc., If the government need to attract such investment they need to have a broader strategy to attract the investors by creating and developing projects like Greater Hamabantota project which was started by the former government but has being sadly stopped by the current government.

This is 100% true, I have always said that Sri lanka needs to develop ties with all countries and sign trade agreements and FTAs. However we lack proffesionals for that job when all those countries mentioned have more than enough.
Singapore is ready start work on a FTA but Sri Lanka isnt ready yet our FTA with China is also taking too long. But we only gave serious attention to this side last year with the Minsitry of Foreign trade being created.

We do not need to sign trade agreements and FTAs with all countries in the world. What we need to do is to choose the best countries in the world that benefits us.

Great!
That's what international tourists are looking for, safety, infra and scenery, all vital.
U can compare to the number of Chinese tourists to Sri Lanka and Maldive.
Both countries to China are quite far but actually of similar distance by air.
Better infra and tighter transport connection will definitely attract more tourists from East Asia.
There is daily direct flight from my city in Central China to Maldive, but no direct flight to Sri Lanka yet.
Potential is huge!

View attachment 314342
View attachment 314343

There is also the issue of too spicy food and lack of larger malls seen in other countries

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/...better-infrastructure-says-astoria-developer/

Mar 12, 2016 (LBO) – Sri Lanka should take more steps to attract Chinese tourists as foreign investors increase investments in the island, a top Chinese property developer said.

“We think Sri Lanka has a bright future. But Sri Lanka must improve infrastructure facilities to attract
more people,” Zhong Yuan, the president of AVIC International Hotels Lanka Limited, told Lanka Business Online.

Yuan represents a subsidiary of Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), the developer of the Astoria apartments in Kollupitiya, Colombo.

A top 200 Fortune company with businesses in aviation and avionics, defense, retail and high-end consumer goods, financial services and hotel management, AVIC is a global player.

In Sri Lanka AVIC has interests including road construction and civil engineering.

Yuan said Chinese tourists would benefit from better options for food, accommodation and shopping when they visit Sri Lanka.

“I don’t complain about curry. I personally like curry, but a lot of Chinese they don’t get used to curry,” Yuan said.

That Sri Lankan rice and curry is a bit too spicy for the Chinese palate is not surprising. And Sri Lanka is yet to develop the super malls now common in East Asian cities.

“If you go to Bangkok you can find shopping malls combined with cinemas. There are high-end shopping malls. You can spend the whole day there. Odel, maybe you can finish in an hour,” Yuan said.

These two factors favor Chinese visiting destinations such as Thailand. Nearly seven million of the 30 million visitors to Thailand last year were from China. Although only four percent of the Chinese population holds a passport, that four percent spends almost 200 billion dollars overseas annually, more than any other nation, according to Goldman Sachs.

“Customs duties in China are really high, so a lot of people go abroad, not just to enjoy holidays but also to buy something, that is very important for Chinese,” he said.

When completed towards end of 2017, early 2018 Astoria apartments in Colombo will have 2,200 square metres of shopping space, he said.

The four towers will have 608 luxury units and six rooftop duplexes. The units will be priced from 384,000 dollars for three-bedroomed and four-bedroomed luxury apartments, to 2.2 million dollars for a duplex.

“Right now there is air pollution in China and a lot of people have money, but they have less idea where to invest that money. As an international company, we can help them choose,” Yuan said.

“It’s an investment, not simply to buy and live here. We can offer a fixed return through rental fees and property management.”

Yuan said Sri Lankan apartments are offered as part of their international network of options available to investors.

“We can do time sharing. They can buy our apartment here but we can give one week in Tanzania, Kenya, Laos, Bangkok,” he added. “This is very popular.”

Last edited:
There is also the issue of too spicy food and lack of larger malls seen in other countries

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/...better-infrastructure-says-astoria-developer/

Mar 12, 2016 (LBO) – Sri Lanka should take more steps to attract Chinese tourists as foreign investors increase investments in the island, a top Chinese property developer said.

“We think Sri Lanka has a bright future. But Sri Lanka must improve infrastructure facilities to attract
more people,” Zhong Yuan, the president of AVIC International Hotels Lanka Limited, told Lanka Business Online.

Yuan represents a subsidiary of Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC), the developer of the Astoria apartments in Kollupitiya, Colombo.

A top 200 Fortune company with businesses in aviation and avionics, defense, retail and high-end consumer goods, financial services and hotel management, AVIC is a global player.

In Sri Lanka AVIC has interests including road construction and civil engineering.

Yuan said Chinese tourists would benefit from better options for food, accommodation and shopping when they visit Sri Lanka.

“I don’t complain about curry. I personally like curry, but a lot of Chinese they don’t get used to curry,” Yuan said.

That Sri Lankan rice and curry is a bit too spicy for the Chinese palate is not surprising. And Sri Lanka is yet to develop the super malls now common in East Asian cities.

“If you go to Bangkok you can find shopping malls combined with cinemas. There are high-end shopping malls. You can spend the whole day there. Odel, maybe you can finish in an hour,” Yuan said.

These two factors favor Chinese visiting destinations such as Thailand. Nearly seven million of the 30 million visitors to Thailand last year were from China. Although only four percent of the Chinese population holds a passport, that four percent spends almost 200 billion dollars overseas annually, more than any other nation, according to Goldman Sachs.

“Customs duties in China are really high, so a lot of people go abroad, not just to enjoy holidays but also to buy something, that is very important for Chinese,” he said.

When completed towards end of 2017, early 2018 Astoria apartments in Colombo will have 2,200 square metres of shopping space, he said.

The four towers will have 608 luxury units and six rooftop duplexes. The units will be priced from 384,000 dollars for three-bedroomed and four-bedroomed luxury apartments, to 2.2 million dollars for a duplex.

“Right now there is air pollution in China and a lot of people have money, but they have less idea where to invest that money. As an international company, we can help them choose,” Yuan said.

“It’s an investment, not simply to buy and live here. We can offer a fixed return through rental fees and property management.”

Yuan said Sri Lankan apartments are offered as part of their international network of options available to investors.

“We can do time sharing. They can buy our apartment here but we can give one week in Tanzania, Kenya, Laos, Bangkok,” he added. “This is very popular.”
well, I don't think spicy food is really an issue. Many Chinese can handle spicy hot pot. My breakfast starts with spicy beef rice noddle covered with red chilly oil. The thing is probally about curry, some like it some not. To me, curry looks like sh*t, but it doesn't make it less interesting for me to travel to Thailand where curry is also found in local cuisine. And I am also willing to try new food, I am just travling, not eating it everyday!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom