Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Hong Kong (CNN)

"Go back home!"

"Locusts! You're not welcome here!"

These were just some of the insults hurled at Chinese shoppers Sunday as hundreds of Hong Kongers surged through through the old neighborhood of Yuen Long, an area close to the city's border with China.

It was the latest in a series of angry protests that have seen brawls erupt in humdrum shopping malls, with demonstrators singling out the "parallel traders" who crowd into Hong Kong to purchase tax-free products and then resell them for a profit back in China.

"I've grown up here, and ever since a lot of the Chinese started coming into Hong Kong, things have changed," said Suen, a law student who only gave her surname.

Clad in a mask to protect against police wielding pepper spray, she took part in the protest with her mother.

Local residents say the traders are not only disturbing the peace, but are driving up the price of food, rent, and gutting local neighborhoods of their character - the city has become a blur of jewelers, pharmacies and other businesses that cater primarily to Chinese shoppers.

"Previously there were a lot of indigenous places like restaurants, but all of them have closed," said Suen, standing across from a store selling baby milk powder - the top item on many Chinese tourists' shopping lists. "It's very difficult to be very welcoming."

Growing tensions

Tensions have long been simmering between Hong Kong and the motherland, and parallel trading is just one of the thorny issues brought about by the influx of mainland Chinese to the city.

A series of food scandals -- most notably in 2008 when melamine-tainted milk powder caused infant deaths across China -- led to shortages of baby milk formula in Hong Kong as Chinese flocked to buy up the city's supplies.

The ensuing uproar led the government to introduce a law limiting the purchase to two tins per traveler leaving the city.

Hong Kong to Chinese shoppers: 'Go home' - CNN.com

Oh for gods sake just complete the assimilation. 2 governments 1 China is absurd. The tensions are absurd. These tourists are a source of income and on the negative perhaps problems but Hong Kongers must realize its NOT the British Hong Kong anymore. Their out cry is laughable. Although I do sympathize with their freedom speak and government but still... far fetched concerns like this make news? This is racism.

"Here"? here is chinese land. Spoiled child---small number of people

Honh Kongers don't seem to consider themselves Chinese!!!

What is 'locust' btw?

What is 'locust' btw?
type of grasshoper that damages crops,move in swarms and clear out farms in minutes

What is 'locust' btw?

You are the people of Hong Kong?
You have been to China?
Have you ever been to Hong Kong?
But,I am a chinese,I have been to Hong Kong,I have a colleague of Hong Kong.
Don`t say "don't seem to consider"

You are the people of Hong Kong?
You have been to China?
Have you ever been to Hong Kong?
But,I am a chinese,I have been to Hong Kong,I have a colleague of Hong Kong.
Don`t say "don't seem to consider"

Well, the article (and many such similar articles) implies so.

Hong Kongers are Chinese too, must mean that they are also an insect.
Dumb people.

So hongkkongers dont consider themselves part of china and dont consider themselvs as part of locust ?

Leave the hongkongers alone for god sake, they deserve their freedom.

Hongkong have seperate emblem, seperate anthem, seperate flag, seperate currency, seperate denonym, seperate government, seperate culture, they have all the making of a seperate nation.

Last edited:
actually Hong kong people are the meanest Chinese on the planet..

You can watch Youtube video about one American live in Hongkong his opinion's about Hongkong people, very bad attitude. He said Mainland Chinese are much more polite than Hong kong locals

So hongkkongers dont consider themselves part of china and dont consider themselvs as part of locust ?

Leave the hongkongers alone for god sake, they deserve their freedom.

Hongkong have seperate emblem, seperate anthem, seperate flag, seperate currency, seperate denonym, seperate government, seperate culture, they have all the making of a seperate nation.

Do you know what a nation actually is?

it is a culture with an army.

actually Hong kong people are the meanest Chinese on the planet..

You can watch Youtube video about one American live in Hongkong his opinion's about Hongkong people, very bad attitude. He said Mainland Chinese are much more polite than Hong kong locals
@Chinese-Dragon wouldn't be very happy to see this. :D

The mainland people crazy shopping, affect them,

Back
Top Bottom