What's new

Hong Kong football fans warned to be cautious when buying World Cup kit as 100,000 suspected counterfeit jerseys seized

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Hong Kong customs has seized more than 100,000 suspected counterfeit football shirts with an estimated market value of about HK$50 million (US$6.3 million) just days ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
The Customs and Excise Department arrested 15 suspects, aged 34 to 64, during a special operation between October 31 and November 10. The suspects were believed to be part of 20 cases involving control points, city logistics companies and an online store.
The designs of the counterfeit jerseys were those of prominent teams taking part in the World Cup, including many European and South American football powerhouses, Divisional Commander Sky Fung Wai-ching said on Thursday.
The jerseys were the latest versions for the national teams, packaged in bags with authentic-looking trademarks, he added.

Hong Kong Customs displays counterfeit football jerseys seized in latest operation. Photo: Dickson Lee

Hong Kong Customs displays counterfeit football jerseys seized in latest operation. Photo: Dickson Lee

The smuggling syndicate also mixed the counterfeit jerseys with a large number of other goods, said Iris Cheung Sui-man, also a divisional commander.

“We think that the criminals deliberately mixed the counterfeit jerseys with other goods, so as to increase the difficulty of detecting the counterfeit goods,” she said.
In one crackdown at Shenzhen Bay, Cheung added, investigators had conducted X-ray analysis and detected higher densities at the middle and rear of container cargoes, which sparked suspicion and led the authorities to check the goods.

Officials said they believed most of the jerseys would have been re-exported to Europe and South America, with a small number sold in Hong Kong.

Gary Hung Hon-wing, group head of customs’ intellectual property investigation bureau, said the price of counterfeit football shirts was HK$200 to HK$250 and HK$500 when shipped overseas.
Authentic shirts were typically sold for HK$600 to HK$1,300 and could be linked to the manufacturer’s website by scanning the QR code on the package, he added.

“We remind the public to buy goods at reputable shops and compare market prices before purchase. Customers should remain more alert to unusual prices offered by online traders,” Hung said.

Hong Kong customs displays seized counterfeit football jerseys. Photo: Dickson Lee

Hong Kong customs displays seized counterfeit football jerseys.
“Before making transaction decisions, customers should take note of the business address and contact information so that follow-up action can be taken if there are problems with the product.”

Customs last month seized more than 3,000 counterfeit Argentina and Mexico football shirts and other knock-off products with a total value of HK$30 million.
The items included watches, handbags, sports shoes, clothing, sunglasses and mobile phone accessories. Five people were arrested in connection with the incident.

The 2022 World Cup will be held between November 20 and December 18. A total of 32 teams will compete in football’s biggest event.

Last edited:
Football jerseys have two versions; actual kits (the version worn by the players themselves) and original replica meant for fans. Actual kits are usually thrice the price of original replica even though replica shirts sometimes has better feel to it especially the badge stitching.

In these counterfeit jersey case, more often than not they were made by the same factory in Bangladesh as the original replica, only that they're made with cheaper material and sometimes they ditched the manufacturers mark.

In these counterfeit jersey case, more often than not they were made by the same factory in Bangladesh as the original replica, only that they're made with cheaper material and sometimes they ditched the manufacturers mark.

It doesn't mention Bangladesh as the origin but it says they were found in trucks crossing over from Shenzhen.

"Between October 31 and November 9, officers uncovered 10 cases of jersey smuggling on inbound trucks at Shenzhen Bay and four others at the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge. More than 92,000 counterfeit football jerseys estimated to be worth HK$46 million were intercepted and 14 drivers were arrested. The divisional commander for Shenzhen Bay cargo, Cheung Sui-man, said the smugglers tried to hide the fake jerseys in the center and back of containers, but they were detected by X-ray machines. After follow-up investigations, customs officers conducted strike-and-search operations at logistics companies in Yuen Long, Tsing Yi and Kwai Chung on November 7 and 10, rolling up five more cases with 8,400 fake jerseys worth HK$4.3 million. On November 10, officers found a 52-year-old male online vendor selling counterfeit jerseys and arrested him in Kwun Tong. The 15 arrested men have been released on bail."

Football jerseys have two versions; actual kits (the version worn by the players themselves) and original replica meant for fans. Actual kits are usually thrice the price of original replica even though replica shirts sometimes has better feel to it especially the badge stitching.

I don't think Addidas or Umbro (if they are still in business) or Under armour will do replica.

There are licensed product tho, but those I don't think people will confuse them with jersey.

I don't think Addidas or Umbro (if they are still in business) or Under armour will do replica.

There are licensed product tho, but those I don't think people will confuse them with jersey.
Go to any sporting boutique and almost the jerseys inside the store are original replica.

Go to any sporting boutique and almost the jerseys inside the store are original replica.
I actually collect team jersey (amongst other thing) I don't know if this is different where you are, where I am, if I want to buy a Tim Cahill Chelesa Jersey, they will give me the exact Kit he WOULD HAVE used instead of a replica. And that gone for around $150.

As I said, there are licensed product, but you would have to be really ignorant to think that's a jersey.

Back
Top Bottom