Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hindus hope to revive abandoned Saidpur temple
By Danish Hussain
Published: August 10, 2016
12SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
At present, the temple and dharamshala cannot be used as religious sites by Hindus. PHOTO: FILE

ISLAMABAD: There is no place in Islamabad for Hindu religious gatherings. While there is a temple, Hindus are not allowed to pray inside.

On August 11 — National Minorities Day — Hindu citizens of Islamabad plan to revive an abandoned temple at the foot of the Margalla Hills.

Indian Hindu temple lifts ban on women devotees

The temple in Saidpur Village currently serves as a tourist site, while over 850 Hindus living in the city have been barred from performing religious rituals here.

“The sanctity of the holy place will be restored and Hindu families living in Islamabad will finally have a place to pray,” said PTI lawmaker Lal Chand Malhi, who is leading the campaign.

Malhi said the campaign would be initiated by writing letters on August 11 to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, President Mamnoon Hussain and Islamabad Mayor Ansar Aziz, who is the custodian of the site.

At present, Hindu residents of Islamabad have to go to Rawalpindi to find the nearest accessible temple.

“First, we will try to force the government and its departments to allow us to make the temple operational. If no response is received, community members, political parties and civil society will open it for prayers,” Malhi said.

A pre-Partition mandir and the struggle to protect it

According to Capital Development Authority records, Rama Mandir was built by Raja Mann Singh around 1580 . The temple also had a dharamshala (rest house for pilgrims), which has been converted into a public toilet, Malhi said.

The visitors, he said, disregard the sanctity of the site and walk inside the temple with their shoes on. He said carvings in the walls of Lakshmi and Kali were painted over by the CDA in 2006 when it converted Saidpur village into a tourist site.

The PTI lawmaker said that until a few decades ago, Hindus would spend large amounts of money to keep temple intact. “The temple is ours. The community has every right to go there and pray,” Malhi said.

Islamabad Mayor Aziz told The Express Tribune that he would try to support the request, once received.

He said the Hindu community would be given every right to worship at their holy place. “I will be more than happy to help Hindus living in Islamabad to get access to their temple,” Aziz added.

Kapil Dev, a rights activist, said that before partition, Saidpur had a significant Hindu population, but most of them left for India in 1947. Soon after, the temple fell into disuse.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 10th, 2016.

There is no place in Islamabad for Hindu religious gatherings. While there is a temple, Hindus are not allowed to pray inside.

Why ?

The temple in Saidpur Village currently serves as a tourist site, while over 850 Hindus living in the city have been barred from performing religious rituals here.

Why ?
At present, Hindu residents of Islamabad have to go to Rawalpindi to find the nearest accessible temple.

What the hell !

According to Capital Development Authority records, Rama Mandir was built by Raja Mann Singh around 1580 . The temple also had a dharamshala (rest house for pilgrims), which has been converted into a public toilet, Malhi said.

Very unfortunate.
The visitors, he said, disregard the sanctity of the site and walk inside the temple with their shoes on.

Sensibilities for the minorities ?

I know its not logical and its got nothing to do with us, but I cannot help cringing and getting extremely embarrassed when I read such things.

Pakistani members tell me they got Pakistan to be free.

But does being free mean you make others miserable?

I know its not logical and its got nothing to do with us, but I cannot help cringing and getting extremely embarrassed when I read such things.

The entire country is reeling under terrorism irrespective of faith and creed.

The Pakistani media is very supportive of and vocal in terms of highlighting social and minority issues. Now it is the responsibility of Pakistani minorities as well to stand up and exert their power.

Although this is an unfortunate incident but its no different from the mosques that were turned into stables and storage areas in indian punjab
I wish to see it revived though

It's ok, read the poem ozymandias. We people think we and ours is forever but in reality whether it's religion or people everything is transient

Why do you care the hindus destroyed babri masjid and murdered and raped thousands of indian muslims in Gujrat.

Hindu india was so happy they made Modi P.M

Compared to that this is childs play

Why do you care the hindus destroyed babri masjid and murdered and raped thousands of indian muslims in Gujrat.

Don't keep quoting the same incident, its getting tired.
There were lots of events preceding it and historical context.
I don't see as much noise made by Pakistan Muslims for violation against Pakistan Hindus Christians and Ahmadi Muslims as I see support in India by Indian Hindus for its minorities.

This reverse revenge ideology on part of brainless baboons on both sides are only harming own people. An Indian Muslim is not a Pakistan a Pakistani Hindu is not an Indian. We must realise this fact sooner the better

This reverse revenge ideology on part of brainless baboons on both sides are only harming own people. An Indian Muslim is not a Pakistan a Pakistani Hindu is not an Indian. We must realise this fact sooner the better
What you are saying is not true. The partitioned happened to create a homeland for respective religions. It's a shame that Pakistan has abandoned Indian Muslims by closing its doors for them.

The entire country is reeling under terrorism irrespective of faith and creed.

The Pakistani media is very supportive of and vocal in terms of highlighting social and minority issues. Now it is the responsibility of Pakistani minorities as well to stand up and exert their power.

What would you guys have said if our masjids were treated like that here sister? I know you will be honest.

Back
Top Bottom