What's new

Hindu temple attacked with bullets

President Camacho

Reaction score
Fear strikes as temple showered with bullets

SYDNEY: One of Australia's oldest Hindu temples located here was attacked by two men in balaclavas who fired eight bullets, a media report said Wednesday.

art_temple-420x0.jpg

Sydney Morning Herald reported that bullet holes could be seen on the wall of Auburn's Sri Mandir temple, which it said is Australia's first Hindu temple.

CCTV cameras showed that two men in balaclavas fired the shots on the night of March 19. There were no worshippers when the attack took place.

art_footage-420x0.jpg

Yadu Singh, president of the Council of Indian Australians, said the shooting was a sign that the attacks on the temple were turning serious.

"The bottom line is that something needs to be done, because it is not a one-off," he was quoted as saying.

Temple priest Jatinkumar Bhatt said: "Throwing eggs and bottles is an ongoing process, but this bullet really put us in a panic."

The 35-year-old temple hosted an interfaith meeting attended by the Member for Auburn, Barbara Perry, as well as local Muslim and Christian groups earlier this month. The building was shot up about 10 days later.

Ms Perry said the Hindu temple was well respected in Auburn.

-----------------------

Before calling anyone racist, please understand it is a clear sign of xenophobia, and not racism.

THE bullet holes can still be seen on the exterior of Auburn's Sri Mandir Temple.

Less visible are the marks left by the shot that made its way inside Australia's first Hindu temple, when it was peppered by about eight rounds.

The bullet ricocheted from the roof and hit the carpet - not far from a scorch mark left by a firework once thrown through the doors opened for worshippers, who are now protected from the frequently hurled bottles and eggs by a metal screen.

Two men in balaclavas were captured firing the shots on the night of March 19 by the temple's CCTV cameras. A police spokeswoman said detectives were working closely with the community as part of investigations into the incident.

The president of the Council of Indian Australians, Yadu Singh, said the shooting was a sign that attacks on the temple were becoming more serious.

There were no worshippers in the building at the time of the shooting - unlike an incident last November when two windows were smashed by people armed with metal bars.

''The bottom line is that something needs to be done, because it is not a one-off,'' he said.

''We have a right to exist; we have a right to practise our religion.''

The temple's priest, Jatinkumar Bhatt, who lives on the site, said he had been harassed by youths in the past but he was scared by the shooting. ''I have a family as well, three kids and my wife,'' he said. ''Throwing eggs and bottles is an ongoing process but this bullet really put us in a panic.''

A Granville resident, Yogesh Heer, who was in the temple when it was attacked in November, said he was contacted by a concerned family in India when news of the shooting made the country's press. Indian nationals Vijaya Patel and her husband Kanti Lal Patel, who have been attending the temple every day during their visit with Sydney relatives, said they were surprised and insulted by the attack.

The 35-year-old temple hosted an interfaith meeting attended by the Member for Auburn, Barbara Perry, as well as local Muslim and Christian groups earlier this month. The building was shot up about 10 days later.

Ms Perry said the Hindu temple was well respected in Auburn.

Fear strikes as temple showered in bullets

I strongly condemen any attack on a place of worship be it of any religion Hindu or Muslim

Australia is very racist country I was watching Al jazeera the other day and they were showing graffiti on walls in muslim populated areas with pictures of stop the burqa no wonder they are called the land of convicts.

resize.php

Australia is very racist country I was watching Al jazeera the other day and they were showing graffiti on walls in muslim populated areas with pictures of stop the burqa no wonder they are called the land of convicts.

Lets not generalize a country when commenting... feel free to bash the individual whose momma didn't teach religious tolerance.
I have a few oz friends and we get along pretty well...never got a feeling that they are intolerant towards other race or religion. Peace mite !

Lets not generalize a country when commenting... feel free to bash the individual whose momma didn't teach religious tolerance.
I have a few oz friends and we get along pretty well...never got a feeling that they are intolerant towards other race or religion. Peace mite !

Maybe you are right but this is becoming a habit in Oz the goverment has failed yet again to protect minorities plus we all know what happened to the poor aborigines, it is one country despite its beauty i shall not ever be visiting.

Maybe you are right but this is becoming a habit in Oz the goverment has failed yet again to protect minorities plus we all know what happened to the poor aborigines, it is one country despite its beauty i shall not ever be visiting.

I am not trying to defend the Aussie govt, but think of how a govt or the police can prevent some incident like this?

Some random guy with a crazy head going gaga over the new gun he purchased and the hatred he gathered from conversing with his knucklehead friends and/or internet forums. Sure govt inaction to get this guy the justice he deserves is condemnable if such happens.

Why the heck they build temples in other countries? If you want to worship, you can do it in your home as well.

Why the heck they build temples in other countries? If you want to worship, you can do it in your home as well.

So you want the immigrants and expatriates to fly home to India everytime they wish to worship at the temple? Pretty practical eh?

What rubbish are you talking about there are Indians born in Oz they pay Tax! they have the right to practise and build what they want!

Moko Kahan Dhundhere Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Teerath Mein, Na Moorat Mein Na Ekant Niwas Mein
Na Mandir Mein, Na Masjid Mein Na Kabe Kailas Mein
Mein To Tere Paas Mein Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein

- Kabir

You don't need a temple for worshiping, you need faith.

What's wrong in building temples where the local community needs a place of worship? As long as the country is secular and allows building of places of worship for people of other religions I see no harm.

Temples in foreign lands solve multiple purposes other than worship. It is an avenue for interaction with the community and also serves as a place away from the hustle bustle to sit and contemplate about your life. :) Often some of the temples serve as seed point for social events and getting together to donate towards charity and relief efforts in case of natural calamities. In short they serve multiple purposes other than just worship.

I am not trying to defend the Aussie govt, but think of how a govt or the police can prevent some incident like this?

Some random guy with a crazy head going gaga over the new gun he purchased and the hatred he gathered from conversing with his knucklehead friends and/or internet forums. Sure govt inaction to get this guy the justice he deserves is condemnable if such happens.

It is unfortunate as this is not the first time this temple has been attacked but like yourself I have also come across some decent Oz people so ill not pass judgement on the whole country, I just hope they catch them and more importantly make a example of them to deter others.

What rubbish are you talking about there are Indians born in Oz they pay Tax! they have the right to practise and build what they want!

Yes, they do have a right to build a temple and it's their duty to protect that temple. Now please tell me that how this should be achieved and what should be the next course of action.

Back
Top Bottom