What's new

Hindu Shahi kings were not Janjua Rajputs of Punjab

Mian Babban

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The 19th century British author Alexander Cunningham was the first one who conjectured that Hindu Shahis were Janjua Rajputs. After his his work, Janjuas made the claim that Hindu Shahi kings were from their tribe. Some authors utilized Alexander Cunningham's work without any proper research of their own and repeated his statement that Hindu Shahis were Janjuas.

Cunningam is of opinion that the title "Hahaj" of the sovereigns of "Gandhara" mentioned by 10th century Arab geographer Masudi , is none other than Janjua. He further says that Masudi mentions Gandhara to be the country Rajputs and Janjuas of Punjab also call themselves Rajputs so Hindu Shahis were none other than Janjuas of Punjab.

When i examined the primary source i.e Masudi's book, i found clear mistakes by Alexander Cunningham. In the manuscript the word is حححى which according to the English translator must be جحج Jahaj or Hahaj. The word does not resemble Janjua جنجوعہ from any angle. There is not any medieval text which shows Janjua to be written as Jahaj جحج at any point in history. In the actual text , its not Gandhara but Al-Kandahar (القندهار) , which is the city of present-day Afghanistan. And its not Rajput but Al-Rahyut ( الرهیوط). The translator thinks it must be Al-Rahbut (الرهبوط), and Alexander consulting that English translation has declared it to be Rajput.

The most authentic source on the period is Al-Beruni's Tarikh-i-Hind and according to him King Jaypala and other Hindu Shahi kings were Brahmans.

There were 3 Confirmed Hindu Groups who ruled parts of Afghanistan

1) Turki Shahis of Kabul (660-750 AD)-----they were Turks and were lightly converted Hindus on their own accord
2) Rutbils of Zabulistan (680-780 AD) -------again most probably Turks , lightly converted Hindus ruling over Buddhist majority
3) Hindu Shahis-------(850-871 AD and 879-900AD Hold on Kabul) proper Indo-Aryan Brahman Hindus from Punjab who held Kabul for 42 years in 2 phases---most probably Mohiyal/Mohyal Brahmans

University of Vienna has done extensive work on them

Turki Shahis (660-750 AD)

http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/showcases/showcase13?language=en

v13u.jpg

Rutbils of Zabulistan (680--780 AD)

http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/showcases/showcase15?language=en

v15u_0.jpg

Hindu Brahman Shahis (850-871 AD hold on Kabul) again 879--900AD hold on Kabul...till 1001 AD hold on Punjab
http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/showcases/showcase16?language=en

v16u_0.jpg

Link of extensive interest regarding pre-Islamic Huns and Turks in India as well as at the edge of the subcontinent

http://pro.geo.univie.ac.at/projects/khm/showcases?language=en

3) Hindu Shahis-------(850-871 AD and 879-900AD Hold on Kabul) proper Indo-Aryan Brahman Hindus from Punjab who held Kabul for 42 years in 2 phases---most probably Mohiyal/Mohyal Brahmans
There is not a single historical evidence which says that Hindu Shahis were originally from any part of present-day Punjab. Also no information is available as to what among Brahmans they were.

There is not a single historical evidence which says that Hindu Shahis were originally from any part of present-day Punjab. Also no information is available as to what among Brahmans they were.

Yes that's true .......................some Historians have speculated that they were Mohiyal Brahmans , so I am guessing they were from Punjab...I mean there was never any continuous substantial autochthonous Hindus in Afghanistan since Historical records began (since Achaemenid Empire).....correct me if I am wrong here

Yes that's true .......................some Historians have speculated that they were Mohiyal Brahmans , so I am guessing they were from Punjab...I mean there was never any continuous substantial autochthonous Hindus in Afghanistan since Historical records began (since Achaemenid Empire).....correct me if I am wrong here

Because moyhal are only brahmins who didn't do priest work and looked down upon brahmins who did that, they were more like others who British designited as "agriculturists" tribes and landowners in punjab. That could be one reason why they are believed to be hindu shahis ruling brahmins. But its very hard to pinpoint exact caste of ancients.

Because moyhal are only brahmins who didn't do priest work and looked down upon brahmins who did that, they were more like others who British designited as "agriculturists" tribes and landowners in punjab. That could be one reason why they are believed to be hindu shahis ruling brahmins. But its very hard to pinpoint exact caste of ancients.

I never believed that Brahmins always limited themselves to priestly activities in pre-colonial India..The Peshwas who defeated the Turkic Mughals as well as the founder of the Shunga Empire were Brahmins

I never believed that Brahmins always limited themselves to priestly activities in pre-colonial India..The Peshwas who defeated the Turkic Mughals as well as the founder of the Shunga Empire were Brahmins

True, I was only talking in punjab context. In punjab brahmin was associated with priest and that's why some people believe current day punjab syeds are former brahmins. Another comunity which is believed to be moyal brahmins are Sudhans of Azad Kashmir but now some of them claim pathan origins because of similarity with name sadozai.

In univ, a senior was a mohyal.. he claimed they were Rajputs...

In univ, a senior was a mohyal.. he claimed they were Rajputs...

I don't think there is any doubt about Moyhals being brahmins. All those hindu/sikh moyhals who migrated to India identify as brahmins. As far as why he claimed rajput origin, my guess is because of negative portrayal of brahmins in Pakistani media and society.

Last edited:
According to folklores of our tribe, first few Rajas of HinduSahi were def. Brahmins as stories uf how our small Kshatriya tibe (from eastern part of east punjab, Haryana and North East Rajasthan) Migrated to hills to work for Sahis.

But later kings were also kshatriyas as according to our ancestors there was def. A dynestic struggle and a true kshatriya become new king and his sons ruled kingdome for many years.

This was before Kshatriya tribes adopting Rajput title. As after sahis were lost we migrated to haryana and work under tomars and adopted Rajput title with other kshatriya tribes in region. Later after fall of Delhi we migrated to Jammu and foumded our own small Jagir and served under leading clan many times.

So called Hindu Shahis were Central Asian(probably Iranic or even Turkic or mixture of both) conquerors who brought their own religion and mixed it with Vedic ideologies, they were worshippers of Zun.

According to folklores of our tribe, first few Rajas of HinduSahi were def. Brahmins as stories uf how our small Kshatriya tibe (from eastern part of east punjab, Haryana and North East Rajasthan) Migrated to hills to work for Sahis.

But later kings were also kshatriyas as according to our ancestors there was def. A dynestic struggle and a true kshatriya become new king and his sons ruled kingdome for many years.

This was before Kshatriya tribes adopting Rajput title. As after sahis were lost we migrated to haryana and work under tomars and adopted Rajput title with other kshatriya tribes in region. Later after fall of Delhi we migrated to Jammu and foumded our own small Jagir and served under leading clan many times.
This self professed Muhajir is now claiming the Kabuli Shahi kingdom, for your info you fool, Hindu was a word the Brits concocted centuries and centuries after the demise of Kabuli Shahi!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom