What's new

HIMARS defeat S-400 system

HIMARS seems to be quite deadly.
Indeed.

M270A1_IAC_and_M142_HIMARS_are_able_to_fire_a_wide_range_of_rockets_and_missiles_925_001.jpg

S400 is a high altitude air defence system for bombers and fighter jets

HIMARS is very fast and low, it makes interception very hard and Ukraine fires these with low level attack

S400 really has no chance

for HIMAR a Iron Dome will have more success rate

but Iron Dome is not good at high altitude air defence

so its about each system and for what it was designed for

so Russia now focuses more on jamming these systems and jamming the GPS and electronic warfare

Russians created so much hype of the S-400 system that customers might have unrealistic expectations from it. Even Turkey took this hype at face value and ruined its chances for inducting F-35.

Ukraine has shown but one countermeasure. Russia might be attempting to jam HIMARS but unable to. HIMARS continue to produce results in the war while the gullible fell for the propaganda that HIMARS is jammed.

It show nato have good information about war.

They can find s400 location and then order to HIMARS to attack.

That's not difficult. The Pentagon has plenty of sophisticated satellites that probably have tracked the locations of every one of them since they left their storage depots in Russia.

The have computers doing all the eyeballing of satellite images 24/7 now instead of people. They don't get tired.

My two cents:
Problem with defence systems is that they have to detect & engage their target without being detected.

That's basically impossible with today's satellites unless you want to cover them with a big box and try to play some shell game.

It's going to get even tougher when Starship starts putting huge satellites like this into orbit.

darpasnewspy.jpg

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency’s latest proof-of-concept project is called the Membrane Optical Imager for Real-Time Exploitation (MOIRE), and would provide real-time images and video of any place on Earth at any time — a capability that, so far, only exists in the realm of movies and science fiction.

I figure a 600meter wide membrane could see an area like this at a reasonable resolution.

Mlrs and uav combo can overwhelm any air defence

And whole swarm will cost less than a single air defence missile

Exactly, anything big and slow isn't going to survive on the modern battlefield.

I don't think people are comprehending the day is coming when some huge swarm of solar drones is just going to lurk high overhead for hours/days with cameras pointed down and using AI/computer vision pounce on something it deems worthwhile. It will be too dangerous for vehicles on the battlefield. One set a record for 64 days of perpetual flight.

I can see the day when some C-130 cargo just disperses thousands of them out the back in some flyover.

Last edited:
Indeed.

M270A1_IAC_and_M142_HIMARS_are_able_to_fire_a_wide_range_of_rockets_and_missiles_925_001.jpg

This actually show you two things.

1.) NATO Battlefield surveillance system (LINK) is probably the world most comprehensive.
2.) Russian really struggling to put up Air Asset in Ukraine.

Well, I don't think I need to talk about number 1. I used to work NATO communication and pipe intel thru different unit, while I can't tell you how extensive is NATO Link system, I will just say this, the sheer number of asset and the different type of asset provide a complete or near complete picture of any battlefield, this in the field are called Battlespace Intelligence (or Awareness) you know everything, then you in charge of the battlefield.

The second point is what I want to go deeper into. The value of Mobile Artillery (SPG, MLRS and so on) is that they can sneak into a prepped area and attack, then you have complete control of your target until a few moment after you launch, by then you would be some distant away. The only way you can deal with Mobile Artillery is air power, you need to close off the entire battlespace and relay any attack so your air force can look for those assets in the area.

Now, Russian supposedly have numerous different asset to deal with this, but the fact that none of the 20 something HIMARS are destroyed means they either didn't try or couldn't. Which spell problem for the Russian. Because air interdiction does not just deal with threat like Mobile Artillery, but you need them to support your ground operation. You constantly have CAP and CAS patrol the airspace and you give your ground element support in any situation that way.

So by not be able to deal with HIMARS effectively, you are letting one part of the battlefield being dominated by the Ukrainian. That is going to come back and bite the Russian on its a$$.

This is more serious than losing a S400 Radar or losing anything, because this is systematic, and there are only one result you are looking at, and that's completely lose control of the battlefield.

Russians created so much hype of the S-400 system that customers might have unrealistic expectations from it. Even Turkey took this hype at face value and ruined its chances for inducting F-35.

Ukraine has shown but one countermeasure. Russia might be attempting to jam HIMARS but unable to. HIMARS continue to produce results in the war while the gullible fell for the propaganda that HIMARS is jammed.

S400 is still a extremely potent high altitude SAM system and when F16 come to Ukraine they will be in a for a nasty surprise

It’s just not good to HIMAR it’s made for fast fighter jets

They have attached clear pics with it.
Do you think Russians will openly admit that their system was destroyed in Ukraine and failed to intercept cheap rockets with 100% success ?
This will significantly decrease the exports of S-400 if they admit it publicly.
how nice of the Russians to allow Ukrainians to take such close up photos then...

how nice of the Russians to allow Ukrainians to take such close up photos then...
Maybe some oppressed ukrainian or conscripted russian took those pictures and uploaded them somewhere, not giving it much thought. Everybody carries a cellphone.

I still don’t understand why turkey sacrificed so much for this piece of crap(imho) and why India puts so much faith in it either…
1- For Türkiye, I would say it was a case of national pride, as US wasn't ready to provide Patriot and when Türkiye ordered S-400, backing off from the deal would look like
(Hum aapky ghulaam hain) or (beggar can't be choosers)
2- Although F-35 is a good system and there would have many other benefits of not buying S-400, expulsion from F-35 gave boost to Türkiye indigenous KAAN program and many more.
No comment for India

You do realize drones can take pictures and both parties are using drones for battle damage assessment. The Russians seem to ‘allow’ these drones to drop little bombs on their heads - I doubt they’d have a problem with some photos..

S400 is still a extremely potent high altitude SAM system and when F16 come to Ukraine they will be in a for a nasty surprise

It’s just not good to HIMAR it’s made for fast fighter jets

F-16 with SEAD loadout will surprise Russians and observers.

You do realize drones can take pictures and both parties are using drones for battle damage assessment. The Russians seem to ‘allow’ these drones to drop little bombs on their heads - I doubt they’d have a problem with some photos..
Photos are clearly taken on the ground.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom